• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SHS

Reaction score

that's pretty harsh treatment for a pair of shoes. you've probably done no permanent harm. but not advisable overall. let them dry well before applying a conditioner. if they were really wet you might do well to stuff them with newspaper overnight before putting in the trees.
Next time go to the cobbler and get lexol cleaner (which is just a properly formulated detergent/water mix).

Okay thanks. I didn't think it would do much damage with a neutral shampoo. It's recommended for babies! What should I worry about? Drying out? I guess renomat would be better next time then?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The shampoo is probably ok - as you mentioned - it's baby shampoo which means ph balanced.

I don't think you have anything to worry about as a one time venture.

But generally speaking It's not good for leather for it to cycle through wet/dry. Everytime it goes through this cycle the fibers break down a little bit more.

In the long you are just fine. Just don't make it a habit. And make sure to thoroughly moisturize them now that you have stripped them. I would condition several times before polishing. As the shampoo will have removed oil.

Yes renomat would be better in the future.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have just tried to get rid of old cream buildup - not wax - on a pair of shoes. I used hot water and neutral shampoo, some paper towels and a dishwashing brush, and it seems to have worked fine. I don't think it will damage the shoes, and I have put trees in them and set them to dry. I would like to hear opinions or experiences though, and wonder if the same procedure can't just be used with wax buildup?

no risk, no fun. generally speaking all depends on the quality of the leather. i would have used saddle soap.

more important: never, listen, never dry your shoes on the trees.

SHS

Reaction score

The shampoo is probably ok - as you mentioned - it's baby shampoo which means ph balanced.
I don't think you have anything to worry about as a one time venture.
But generally speaking It's not good for leather for it to cycle through wet/dry. Everytime it goes through this cycle the fibers break down a little bit more.
In the long you are just fine. Just don't make it a habit. And make sure to thoroughly moisturize them now that you have stripped them. I would condition several times before polishing. As the shampoo will have removed oil.
Yes renomat would be better in the future.

no risk, no fun. generally speaking all depends on the quality of the leather. i would have used saddle soap.
more important: never, listen, never dry your shoes on the trees.

Thanks guys. I didn't really soak them, so I hope they will be fine when I build them up again.

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So....wanting to revamp my shoe care supplies. Is this a good start (already have brushes, daubers, etc).

This is what I'm going to need the supplies for:

Natural chromexcel Alden longwings
Color 8 cordovan Alden chukkas
Brown calf Carmina monk straps
Black C&J captoe

What Saphir supplies should I go with? This is what I have for sure

Saphir Renovateur
Saphir Pommadier Cream in Neutral, Medium Brown & Black
Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax in Neutral, Medium Brown & Black

I have a few questions though.

1. Should I just use the Mac method with both the color 8's and the natural chromexcel? I sort of want the natural ones to break in anyways and develop a patina on their own. I'm thinking to just use revovateur on both the color 8's and the naturals every 20 wears or so and that's it. Just brush every wear besides that.

2. Is neutral necessary? Should I just stick with medium brown?

3. Do I need separate brushes for black, brown and color 8? or can my brown brush double up as my color 8 brush?

4. Is it necessary to get both cream and wax? or just renovator and wax is fine?

Thanks!

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I personally would have dropped both the neutral, especially for the cream. Neutral wax will help you get extreme shine on though.
For the shell I would only use the mac method. For the cxl I would just have used some reno and a lot of brushing. For the rest I would recommend both the cream and wax.

For the brushes I would have one for black, brown and shell.

edit: It may seem that I meant it was only need for one brush, but I meant one for black, one for brown and one for shell.

Last edited:

bucksfan

Reaction score

I personally would have dropped both the neutral, especially for the cream. Neutral wax will help you get extreme shine on though.
For the shell I would only use the mac method. For the cxl I would just have used some reno and a lot of brushing. For the rest I would recommend both the cream and wax.

For the brushes I would have one for black, brown and shell.

I really only end up using renovateur, black wax, brown wax and sometimes burgundy wax on a similar wardrobe of shoe colors.

On the brushes, I'd get one to clean all shoes as soon as you get home, one for further brushing of the cordovans, one for use with black polished shoes, and one for other colors of polished shoes.

Last edited:

dmash

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys. I guess a $10 investment to make sure all colors line up isn't a bad investment whatsoever.

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can any experience shoe carer tell me, I always want to find out whether the military high shine polish on the toe is actually beneficial to the shoes? I only use Saphir beeswax and drops of water, does it actually dried and premature the leather where it is intended to be not? Otherwise why not all the shoe come in military shine finishes?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So....wanting to revamp my shoe care supplies. Is this a good start
(already have brushes, daubers, etc).

This is what I'm going to need the supplies for:

Natural chromexcel Alden longwings
Color 8 cordovan Alden chukkas
Brown calf Carmina monk straps
Black C&J captoe

What Saphir supplies should I go with?
This is what I have for sure

Saphir Renovateur
Saphir Pommadier Cream in Neutral, Medium Brown & Black
Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax in Neutral, Medium Brown & Black

I have a few questions though.

1. Should I just use the Mac method with both the color 8's and the natural chromexcel? I sort of want the natural ones to break in anyways and develop a patina on their own. I'm thinking to just use revovateur on both the color 8's and the naturals every 20 wears or so and that's it. Just brush every wear besides that.

2. Is neutral necessary? Should I just stick with medium brown?

3. Do I need separate brushes for black, brown and color 8? or can my brown brush double up as my color 8 brush?

4. Is it necessary to get both cream and wax? or just renovator and wax is fine?

Thanks!

i didn't know that only saphir qualifies these days?

Last edited:

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
didn't know that only saphir qualifies these days?

+1, get Kiwi and any good quality creme and save the change...

i might add. if you start your routine the product is the least factor of success. buy local, get a feeling for the products and then step up, if you feel the need, instead of ordering a surprise package for a few hundred bucks. just my two cents.

doing intensive shoe care for myself since 1994.

PAScheel

Reaction score
While that video shows a great result, I can't imagine shining shoes with a suit on...esp with a white shirt!

Dear all,

this is my very first post. I've enjoyed surfing this forum for months and reading your posts. I've learned a lot and it's nice to see people who care about minor details in their look and behaviour. And that's also why I finally need to post! It's a shame this gentleman has such bad nails.. He should try not to do this.... It's a bad habit!

Kindly regards from Denmark,
Philip

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score
So I bought these shoes about 2 years ago before I knew about SF and before I knew about how to clean them (I still dont, hence this post). They are suede shoes that I have personally never treated/cared for properly. On the left shoe towards the outside is a mark which came about from me getting a bit of dirt on them and then wetting a paper towel and rubbing vigorously over the spot. Apparently that was a mistake, as I've been walking around with that spot there for about a year now. Also, the toes show signs that the naps are standing up a bit, but from what I understand this is just from wear.

Is it too late to clean that mark off of my shoe, or am I boned? And how should I treat these to ensure they last the longest, and that I could wear them in the rain if I so desire?

Here they are:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads