• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Epaulet x Styleforum Alpine Loden Collection

Loden wool, woven in Tirol for centuries, is known for its resistance to cold and wetness. Our project in collaboration with Epaulet introduces Alpine Loden, a modern 18oz fabric blend of 75% merino wool and 25% nylon, woven in Italy. It's lighter, more durable, wind-resistant, and more comfortable than traditional Loden fabric. Partnering with Rochester Tailored Clothing, we offer custom garments like sportcoats, suits, and overcoats, made to your specifications. Learn more about the Loden collection here.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@DWFII @Nick V.

Thanks gentlemen. This is why the Forum remains a valued resource. I appreciate the clarifications.

Is the gluing of the half sole as opposed to stitching sub-optimal?

Aside from longevity (say the glue coming off), given that the gemming is stitched to the welt, in principle, so long as the sole stays on, then gluing could be fine as well without affecting the integrity of the shoe? I assume that stitching is more stable so in that sense, statistically preferable (i.e. less likely to come apart).

I didn't think to ask about the cork patching or replacing it.

This is all interesting theoretically, though practically more involved than I thought it would be: this will be my first sole replacement on decent shoes.

Is the best case a full sole/heel replacement with new cork?

@Chowkin thanks for the video which was helpful.

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@DWFII
  @Nick V.

Thanks gentlemen. This is why the Forum remains a valued resource. I appreciate the clarifications. 

Is the gluing of the half sole as opposed to stitching sub-optimal?

Aside from longevity (say the glue coming off), given that the gemming is stitched to the welt, in principle, so long as the sole stays on, then gluing could be fine as well without affecting the integrity of the shoe? I assume that stitching is more stable so in that sense, statistically preferable (i.e. less likely to come apart).

I didn't think to ask about the cork patching or replacing it.

This is all interesting theoretically, though practically more involved than I thought it would be: this will be my first sole replacement on decent shoes.

Is the best case a full sole/heel replacement with new cork? 

@Chowkin
 thanks for the video which was helpful.

IMO cementing and stitching is the correct way of doing it. It's less likely that the sole will separate that way. Even still from time to time it can fail. Not often though....When we get a pair where the sole was attached using cement only we Blake stitch the new sole on whenever possible.

On GY welted shoes I always recommend a full sole and we replace the foot-bed as part of our process. Why shouldn't we? We already have the shoe apart and that allows us to smooth out the insole somewhat.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I see, so they were recommending just the cementing and not the stitching to me. So in principle, you can keep cementing a sole on over time (the cobbler was correct) which is half the job, so to speak (minus the stitching). He was worried about the stitching over time eroding the holes in the welt and perhaps that's a problem though I'm looking at maybe a sole replacement every 4 years with typical rotation of shoes.

@Nick V.

DWFII

Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

was worried about the stitching over time eroding the holes in the welt

B-o-o-ogus!

If the old stitches are "picked" (removed) and the cobbler mindful to set his machine for the same spi, there should be no problem.

Truth to tell, it is my experience that repair shops that recommend cement only on a job that was originally stitched (or offer excuses and rationales to not stitch) often simply don't have enough experience and/or skill with the stitching machine to do the job cleanly.

Repair is supposed to return the shoe to as near the original state as is possible...neither "improving" it, nor leaving out steps. These are all judgement calls...and open to interpretation...by folks who all too often have never made a shoe and don't really understand the principles involved.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
That was my worry. It's an established cobbler in my city. Wven if he can do it right, I'm slightly concerned that he wanted to steer me in the direction of just cementing given that it's better to stitch. Was it cost? Expedience?

That said, once he noted by resistance, he said that stitching is no problem. I'll take pics when I pick it up. Will go a different route next time. Thanks for your input. Really illuminating.

@DWFII

Last edited:

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

B-o-o-ogus!

If the old stitches are "picked" (removed) and the cobbler mindful to set his machine for the same spi, there should be no problem.

Truth to tell, it is my experience that repair shops that recommend cement only on a job that was originally stitched (or offer excuses and rationales to not stitch) often simply don't have enough experience and/or skill with the stitching machine to do the job cleanly.

Repair is supposed to return the shoe to as near the original state as is possible...neither "improving" it, nor leaving out steps. These are all judgement calls...and open to interpretation...by folks who all too often have never made a shoe and don't really understand the principles involved.

I completely agree with this^^^

Chris6

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some advice. The other day on the train the woman in front of me was using a Tide ToGo pen on the cuff of her shirt, and of course, she dripped it right down the front of my new chromexel slip-on's. Is there a way to get this stain out or do I have to go buy another pair? Much appreciated if anyone has some advice to hide the stain or remove it.

Thank you,
-C

benhour

Reaction score
Afternoon all,

I'm looking for some advice. The other day on the train the woman in front of me was using a Tide ToGo pen on the cuff of her shirt, and of course, she dripped it right down the front of my new chromexel slip-on's. Is there a way to get this stain out or do I have to go buy another pair? Much appreciated if anyone has some advice to hide the stain or remove it.

Thank you,
-C
Please upload a photo!! It would be much easier for us and you ll receive an better answer!!

Chris6

Reaction score

solelover

Reaction score
TheShoeSnob products are rebranded Saphir. They're fantastic and you do not need to buy any other brand. I have both Saphir MdO and TSS and can tell you categorically they're the same (they're both made by Avel as well).

You need to brush off the shoe after using the mink oil renovator.

The leather turns whitish either because you haven't brushed everything off properly or because of water damage to the leather. Need to be very conservative in adding water and making sure the leather itself doesn't see it.

This is very interesting!!! I had no idea the shoesnob products are the exact same as the saphir MDO... Has anyone actually tried both??!?!?!? I love saphir mdo and don't mind paying the premium they charge. please provide more intel :)

WhereNext

Reaction score
This is very interesting!!! I had no idea the shoesnob products are the exact same as the saphir MDO... Has anyone actually tried both??!?!?!? I love saphir mdo and don't mind paying the premium they charge. please provide more intel :)

There was a brief discussion on this issue on the J. Fitzpatrick affiliate thread. It was quite recent, so it's probably on the last page or two of the thread.

benhour

Reaction score
Remove it it could be really hard ( renomat or other harsh cleaner and maybe you ll damage the finish)! i would try a vinegar solution (1/3) with water to even out!! if this wont help try some oily conditioner and this ll cover it for sure!

Featured Sponsor

Invisible Socks: Convenience or Curse?

• Convenience

• Curse

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mackattack27