1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Red Glasses

Red Glasses Senior member

I have a few Dr Martens brogues, which I use for heavy weather.
    They're made of this waxxy leather.
    Any idea how to treat them? I read somewhere one shouldn't use regular polish/wax on them, but can someone confirm that?

cheers

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

It depends on what you are using them for. If you want to keep them shiny like a dress boot, I would use Saphir renovateur and Saphir light brown polish. If you are using them to be rugged, in the snow and want them to survive and not have that dress shoe look I would use a damp rag and Montana Pitch Blend conditioner, or obanaufs heavy duty LP.

As for the Alden, yes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2011
  3. patrickBOOTH

Montana Pitch Blend conditioner, or Obanaufs Heavy Duty LP

4. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

I suggest you only the saphir surfine cream in light brown or light cognac and Renovatour
    I think that a country shoes doesn't look good to shiny.

Use a cloth to apply cream, and an horsehair brush to final buff.

5. The Deacon

The Deacon Senior member

I received my deer bone last week from the same great seller as Namor. The bone worked wonders on both pairs of my burgandy Florsheim Shell cordovan longwings and my Alden cigar shell medallion tip bals.

1 person likes this.
  6. chogall

chogall Senior member

quick question: what's a good source for flat/round leather/waxed shoe laces for dress shoes?

7. MyOtherLife

MyOtherLife Senior member

Try it here Patrick >>>

8. acousticfoodie

acousticfoodie Senior member

Just wanted to post an update about AE's incredible customer service. I e-mailed this question to the recrafting service at Allen edmonds who referred me back to the original store I got them from in San Francisco. They took a look at it, saw that it was some strange leather compression, and exchanged it for a new pair. The process took less than 5 minutes. Incredible service and staff. AE customer for life.

9. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

Got a pair of AE boat shoes - the Westbrooks. What product(s) do you recommend for extending the life of these shoes?

The advice here is helpful, but it's written assuming dress shoes. Obviously I'm never going to polish boat shoes. Starting with the instructions in the above thread, should I just stop at conditioner? Could AE leather lotion be used in place of conditioner/polish? Thanks

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

the deerbone works! im surprised how effortlessly the wrinkles melt away. bone also adds a nice sheen to the cordovan. must admit though, it looks odd rubbing my shoe with a deerbone.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  11. patrickBOOTH

I would just use Saphir Renovateur and then buff. If you want to want to wax polish on them, I would do Lexol, and maybe some cream polish.

12. Red Glasses

I recently bought some Loake brogues for damp days. Prior to first use, I've treated them with Saphir Shoe Polish Lotion, followed by the Polish and the Wax.

Today it rained, and I didn't see the raindrops beading (is that a word?), but just 'enter' the leather (calf). They are dry in no-time, though. Am I doing something wrong?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2011
  13. Naka

Naka Senior member

Pics!

14. patrickBOOTH

First of all you are doing too much to them, you only need to be using Renovateur, or that Lotion and wax polish. Using the lotion, or the reno makes it pointless to use a cream polish as well and will just add to the finish of the shoes. Only use the cream polish if you are trying to deposit more color into the shoes, and then still use a topcoat of wax polish.

The fact that is water didn't bead up could mean two different things. First the beading will only occurr if there is a sufficient amount of wax on the shoe. Even if you spread it all on and think it is enough the fact is water finds its way underneath it. Try conditioning after they dry and putting on the wax polish and buffing to a shine. Then do this about 3 more times with very, very light layers of wax polish. This should give them a bit more water resistance. Second, if it is raining hard enough, and you are out in it walking long enough the water will eventually soak the shoe regardless of how much wax you put on it. The water will find its way. No big deal, let them dry naturally for a day or two on their side and then condition them well and reapply the wax polish.

If you don't care much about having the dress shoe shiny look I would recommend putting Obanauf Heavy Duty LP, or Montana Pitch Blend on them, which works wonders for keeping water out of the leather. The downside is theyy give the leather a matte, oily look.

15. Red Glasses

thank you very much PB, much appreciated!

16. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I don't have a deer bone, but I've been using my horn shoe-horn to rub out scratches in the leather.

17. thesecondprize

thesecondprize Senior member

Do you happen to have any photos of how dress shoes after they've had either of these products applied?

18. patrickBOOTH

19. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

can someone quickly explain heel and toe taps? they look like they would make walking awkward.

20. patrickBOOTH

Heel taps obviously are there to wear away the tap and not the heel of the shoe. Tow taps prevent wearing down the toe. some people depending on their gait and the length of the toe part of the last and wear right into the welt making it a much more expensive repair come resole time.

You don't really notice the feeling after you walk in them for a bit. I am so used to it if one falls off it feels strange to me.