**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Wilf

Wilf Member

NBPT = no brain pesky twerp. Having read all the posts in this excellent mega thread one of the things I have found quite annoying have been your posts. You've repeatedly posted the same photo of your beloved AE's again and again and yet again. So it's a bit rich you accusing someone of being a bit dense when your sole contribution to this thread other than your AE postings have been silly noob questions.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Lol wut? Patrick is one of the biggest contributor to this thread, and his AE's has almost only been posted when there have been an update, question to his method etc. They are fabulous and he has every right to be proud of them. :slayer:

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

4. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Dude, lighten up. Comment about the welts had nothing to do with a shoe's welt (i.e., play on the whole welt=injury vs. welt=shoe construction method)...sadly when you have to explain a joke to someone it loses its luster. My bad.

Glad you like my beloved AE's, I feel the same way. Just in case you missed these images:

[​IMG]

More AE goodness:

[​IMG]

And some RMW's for good measure:

[​IMG]

If you read through this excellent mega-thread you'll see I do much of my shoe care during my Friday conference calls. If that doesn't impress you I'm afraid nothing will. Haven't had a chance to work on these AE Leeds yet as they arrived at the tail end of this week's conf call. I'll post an update for you soon being sure to keep 'silly noob questions' to a minimum.

[​IMG]

5. AlphadominatorJ

AlphadominatorJ New Member

So had a really nice polish on my captoe but once i started to wear the shoes it cracked. Small pieces fell off from the shoe and it didn't get better when it started raining...Now I've been trying to get the polish away by using a brush. It didn't out that well so I then used my nails to try and scratch it off. Now it is really uneven. I'm not sure if i should keep trying to get it off with a brush or if I should go buy some kind of liquid to dissolve the polish.

Here is how they look now. http://imgur.com/a/GqLCO#RTo19

The shiny parts is where the polish still is left. Any idea what I could have done wrong when I applied the polish? And is it normal that rain leaves ugly marks on the shoe?

6. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

I know now exactly...

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

sstomcat, I probably wasn't clear in my post but I wasn't busting your chops about shoe knowledge...just commenting about bigt's post, "when the welts heal". No offense intended.

8. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

We've all probably seen pilgrim machines at a cobbler shop. I'd love to have one in my workshop at home. They make a home version but I like this floor model!

http://www.pilgrimshoemachine.com/new.html

[​IMG]

The B2 home model just looks anemic in comparison.

[​IMG]

Evidently there are a number of different brush wheels available from horsehair to soft cotton.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2012
  9. AML225

AML225 Senior member

Question about products: I have Allen Edmonds shoes in black, walnut, chili, and burgundy shell cordovan. From what I've read in this thread it sounds like I only need saphir renovateur and some neutral wax, as well as a large horsehair brush and some soft clothes, is this correct? Will these products fill in the discolored scuffs my shoes have with elbow grease or will I need the appropriate colored cream polish and a brush for each color to do that? Any other must haves for my shoes?

10. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

As you guessed, you'll need the appropriate coloured polish. Personally I have a separate brush for each colour but most cope with a couple...

11. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

Just get the Topy applied on half the shoe without it being over the metal toe tap. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I would just get something like Renomat, strip the wax, and start all over.

12. alexSF

alexSF Senior member

What kind of polish have you used?

13. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I've tried the handheld buffer ones. They are useless.

14. Panos

Panos Well-Known Member

Can someone recommend me a place to buy Saphir products in Paris? I will pay a visit to JL at St. Germain and I would prefer to be somewhere there.

15. Northampton Novice

Northampton Novice Senior member

Reasonably easy to pick up Saphir in Paris most of the cobblers stock some of the lines, there is a cobbler 10 yards or so from the JL store IIRC.

For the complete range try BHV 36, rue de la Verrerie 75004