**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

How did the green on beechnut turn out? Or better yet - having experimented with different color polishes, what are your favorite mashups? I seem to recall a mention sometime back about Ethandesu working in blue onto a toecap of a pair of G&Gs (possibly Spoo's wigmores) and that turned out brilliant.

2. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have used blue on my black shoes. It isn't noticeable for a very long time and you will only notice it on slightly overcast days when some harsh rays are filtered out. I'm serious.

3. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Don't some people (like the Japaense dude in the you tube video shining shoes quickly) make their own polishes? How would you even go about this?

4. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

I do this too and find myself staring incessantly at my feet every time I'm in the sun. Also serious.

That aside, I have a couple pairs from edetal in brown and burgundy coming in, and I'm curious as to what might possible options be.

5. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

what's that

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Green on beechnut worked out great. Added nice depth and color. I like green on medium to dark browns quite a bit.

I've used navy on dark brown shoes to good effect. Especially, as you mention, on the toes.

I've used a meltonion color called 'bark' on a my cherry red G&Gs as well as on the pin grain and it really brought out a lovely depth to the pin grain.

On a new pair of Carminas that are pebble grain and VERY light I've been adding meltonion red, cognac and bark in alternating coats - it's starting to turn into something richer than what I started with.

I've also made some mistakes - applying too many coats of cream and ending up with a heavy opaque look to the finish. But it can all be buffed out with Renovateur.

7. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Any chance of darkening the toe a bit on burgundy/color 8 shell PTB? I was thinking of trying a black wax I'm not sure it will do anything to shell as it's less porous that calf.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

8. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

A few coats of black wax will probably work. As you know, just bringing up the shine makes a toe look darker already.

Not sure I'd personally try this one - as I like shell pretty much left alone - but you won't cause any harm - you can always buff it off later.

9. patrick_b

patrick_b Senior member

Thanks for the info.

10. mymil

mymil Senior member

^ You might also consider trying a (dark?) brown cream polish formulated specifically for cordovan leathers, like that sold by Kirby at the Hanger Project. But like Gdot, I'd just leave my shell cordovan au naturel.

11. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

Quote:
    Edetal is a Singapore shoemaker. There was a recent article on him in Putthison that covers most of the bases, you might want to check it out for more info.

This is very, very useful. I have a mind to experiment and track progress with pictures. Maybe I'll do that and post 'em up here. Thanks Gdot!

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

ty. not familiar with ordering more than one pair at once, though.

13. lysandar

lysandar Senior member

Multiple orders stem from benefits of past experience and a pair of trial shoes to sample the new last. Plus, I need the wardrobe revamp bad.

14. sstomcat

sstomcat Senior member

are these handmade any pictures?