**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

please... help the shoe care noob out
    i really can't take on 82 pages of postings to get the information right now

http://www.riderbootshop.com/categories/Shoe-Care-Products/?sort=featured&page=2
    i'm thinking of purchasing some saphir products from riderbootshop
    starting from complete scratch
    so ... what is the minimum i need to start caring for my shoes? just a brown and black wax, brushes, and daubers?
    is there a better source for the brushes? (better meaning just-as-good-but-cheaper or even better quality for same money)

:slayer:

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well, since you have contributed so much to the WAYWRN thread I guess I'll give you a pass on reading this whole thread. :D

If I were going all Saphir and starting from scratch I would recommend the following (assuming you have only brown and black shoes):

Saphir Pommadier Cream Shoe Polish - One jar in brown and one in black.
    Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Shoe Polish - One tin Neutral
    Renovateur Cleaner and Conditioner.
    Horsehair Brushes: Three - one for cleaning, one for black, one for brown.
    One small brush for conditioning the welt (an old toothbrush or an artist's brush will do just fine as well).

Condition all new shoes with Renovateur before wearing: Apply by rubbing the Reno in thoroughly with soft cotton rag wrapped around your finger, wait three minutes, brush buff, wait 24 hours and repeat.

When it's time to polish:
    1 coat of Renovateur, wait 3 minutes and brush buff.
    1 coat of cream polish in the desired color, brush buff.
    1 coat of Neutral wax on toes and heal counter, buff with soft cotton rag. (You can add a couple of more layers of polish if you like a super high shine.)

Between polishes simply apply Reno and buff after each wearing (assuming you don't wear a pair more than once a week).

You can polish again as often as you like - the Renovateur will keep the wax from building up.

Some people will tell you that Neutral polish is no good - but these would be mostly people who have used Kiwi Neutral - which is indeed terrible shit as it dries gray and cruddy. But the Saphir Neutral is clear and crisp and I like it a lot. If you aren't comfortable with it - just buy a tin of brown and a tin of black.

3. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

woah woah i need all that just to cover the basics? O_O
    damn

do you think the brushes are worth the price to get the saphir ones? or any random horsehair brush will do?

4. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

That's not much stuff really.

Any old brushes will do really - Kiwi or Allen Edmonds brushes are fine. Not as nice to handle and probably not quite as soft and effective as some of the premium brushes - but they've served mankind well for a long time!

5. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

Thanks GDot, great post! I'm a shoe cleaning noob so this was really helpful :)

6. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I was gonna say I bought my stuff from onthefly.com because they had free shipping over $50 and any order over $50 they gave a free chamois cloth. I ordered from them twice and got my full collection of supplies but I need to get navy polish and some more reno.

they unfortunately dont have that deal anymore

7. chogall

chogall Senior member

horsehair brush isn't that good for cleaning/dusting. boar bristle!

8. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

Last edited: Mar 28, 2012

9. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

The creams are indeed the same.

The creme universal should be an acceptable substitute for renovateur - once you've used it up switch to the reno and report back here with your comparison! :D

10. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Honestly I prefer Kiwi brushes over all of them. The bristles are much softer so brushing is more like "buffing". It doesn't interrupt the finish as much and if you have a good shine on the toe it won't dull it either.

Honestly, I think the only thing you need to start is renovateur, and wax polish. Use reno more than the wax, BOOM.

11. TheDarkKnight

TheDarkKnight Senior member

I must say I've heard horror stories of using cream polish - that it can quite easily and permanently change the colour of your shoes.

Do you use GDot's regime but miss out the cream polish?

12. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I use my own regiment, I don't know, just reno and wax. I only wear black shoes so I don't really worry about color changing, or any of that. I don't know what you are reading but over time using a little bit of cream polish in different colors is very common and creates a nice patina. Even if you don't like it it is very easy to strip away with renomat.

13. SHS

SHS Senior member

Where do you buy that?

14. XKxRome0ox

XKxRome0ox Senior member

yeah that's what i was thinking and ordered it last night
    so i have the saphir waxes, polishes, and cleaner/conditioner coming from riderbootshop
    and allen edmonds brushes and daubers coming from AE
    i can't believe i'm looking forward to having another "chore" to do
    :slayer:

15. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well.........it's generally not a risky thing.

If you apply black or navy blue cream polish to a light colored shoe that is very dry, or recently stripped, you might get some fairly permanent color blotches. But all in all - using creams in almost any color that is lighter than the shoe will have marginal impact and as long as it's over an already well conditioned shoe it can all be stripped away later.

I'm quite adventurous with the colored creams - I put green cream on my beechnut color shoes just last night. I'll probably do cognac next time, and perhaps a buff color the time after that.

There are SO many possible combinations that will work. Just think about the basics - condition, and wax are essential - pigment (cream) optional.