• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sstomcat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried a friends shoe that had olive oil droppings to find out if it can be removed, I used saddle soap, soap with brush, leather cleaner et al, didnt work. I felt that the oil really soaked into the leather inside out.
If there is a way I would also be interested to know...

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I tried a friends shoe that had olive oil droppings to find out if it can be removed, I used saddle soap, soap with brush, leather cleaner et al, didnt work. I felt that the oil really soaked into the leather inside out.

Did you try balsamic vinegar and oregano? :D

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Is it possible to remove this Olive Oil stamp? I tried a dump cloth almost immediately (40 minutes ago) but nothing happend.

Whenever i have oil on my clothes i use dishwashing liquid - makes sense because that's how you dissolve fats in water right?

I would try a little bit in some water - shouldn't damage the shoes but ymmv.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dumb question -- am I supposed to put any sort of cream or wax on the (leather) soles of my shoes? I picked up a gorgeous pair of Paraboots recently (they've really upped their ante with dressier styles), and my broken French didn't allow me to understand what the lady was saying. I think she told me to put some wax she gave me on the sole after wearing. I've never done that before.

TheDarkKnight

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There's soooo much information in this thread!

I wonder if some of you could distill it down for a basic show care regime? So far I've gleaned the following for a basic regime:

1. Remove dust on your shoes after wearing and before putting in the shoe trees, using a horse hair brush used solely for that purpose.

2. Once a week use a leather conditioner after again removing dust. Saphir renovateur seems to be an excellent buy. Apply using fingers rather than a cloth to save from wasting conditioner from it soaking into the cloth. Leave for a couple of hours and brush off with a dedicated horse hair brush.

3. Once a fortnight use a polish - wax polish seems to be much more controllable than cream (cream can stain the leather too easily), again using dedicated applicator brushes and polish off brushes, of course divided by black and brown.

^ Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish is again an excellent choice.

Is that it for a good basic regime?

AlphadominatorJ

Reaction score
I received my first pair of real shoes 2 weeks a ago, CJ Connaught in black. I tried to get a mirror-like cap shine with the spit-shine method. I used ordinary shoe cream just once before applying the shoe polish in a total of 3 layers. The problem is the polish will not settle. I have no problems getting the shine, but once i slide my finger over the surface, it leaves traces from the finger.
I tried again tonight 2 weeks later with the same technique. However, this time i skipped the shoe cream and went straight for the polish. Went over the shoes 3 times with polish, roughly 40 minutes per shoe in total. This time it was even easier to achieve the mirror, but I didn't manage to finish the polish without leaving the shoe easily disturbed by whatever that came in contact with it.

I used the same technique on another pair of shoes that are much older with quite different results, where the surface is completely smooth and the polish really got into the shoe. The only difference was that I then did a better job with 3 sets of shoe cream before I started went on with the polish for another 3 sets.

Anyone have any tips on what I should do? Should I remove the polish and start all over again with 3 sets of shoe cream from the start before applying the polish?

Last edited:

Gerry

Reaction score
You could try giving the toe caps a really good buffing, first with a brush and finish with a soft cloth. Spend at least 15 min per shoe doing this. Then you could try a few coats of black or neutral polish, very light coats using the spit/shine method.

Nice shoes btw, wear well.

Last edited:

Panos

Reaction score
Try renovateur. Oil is hard, it darkens leather and gets into the pores. You might want to just use some polish to make it less noticeable. You're lucky you have the museum finish where it isn't all that noticeable.

Thank you Patrick for all of your answers!

I just used the official JL products (cream and wax) and they worked almost fine.

I did some research and I think that I can only buy those products (I am in UK) from ebay or a friend that I have in Paris.

But please let me ask if my understanding is correct.

Saphir has the following products.

• Pommadier Cream, which is shoe cream. I don't have to buy it as long as I get the original cream from my shoe producers. Here is the product in some different colours.
  • Wax Polish here. And here in a different packaging with more colour selections. Same here, I don't have to buy it as long as I get the original.
  • Saphir Saddle Soap Some kind of cleaner (is this original Saphir product?). Here is the product.
  • Renovateur Cream, which is what you use as conditioner and cleaner (is the one you suggested me). Here is the product.
  • Saphir Mink Oil Lotion (doesn't come in specific colours) and is used to soften the leather. Product is here.
  • Dubbin Graisse, which I can't really understand how/why to use it.

From what I understand and read here, I only want the Renovateur Cream as I do have the shoe cream and the wax for most of my shoes. Can anyone confirm that my list/understanding is right?

Last edited:

alexSF

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^Renovateur and Lotion have the same purpose but the Lotion is less concentrated.
The graisse is good for leather soles and workboots.

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

There's soooo much information in this thread!
I wonder if some of you could distill it down for a basic show care regime? So far I've gleaned the following for a basic regime:
1. Remove dust on your shoes after wearing and before putting in the shoe trees, using a horse hair brush used solely for that purpose.
2. Once a week use a leather conditioner after again removing dust. Saphir renovateur seems to be an excellent buy. Apply using fingers rather than a cloth to save from wasting conditioner from it soaking into the cloth. Leave for a couple of hours and brush off with a dedicated horse hair brush.
3. Once a fortnight use a polish - wax polish seems to be much more controllable than cream (cream can stain the leather too easily), again using dedicated applicator brushes and polish off brushes, of course divided by black and brown.
^ Saphir Pate de Luxe Wax Polish is again an excellent choice.
Is that it for a good basic regime?

I am not a fan of applying reno with my fingers. It might spread better, but using a cloth helps pick up loose polish.

Applicators are bullshit just use an old t shirt. Cream is good if you want to add a bit of color, or brighten up the shoes a bit.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thank you Patrick for all of your answers! I just used the official JL products (cream and wax) and they worked almost fine. I did some research and I think that I can only buy those products (I am in UK) from ebay or a friend that I have in Paris. But please let me ask if my understanding is correct.
Saphir has the following products.

• Pommadier Cream, which is shoe cream. I don't have to buy it as long as I get the original cream from my shoe producers. Here is the product in some different colours.
  • Wax Polish here. And here in a different packaging with more colour selections. Same here, I don't have to buy it as long as I get the original.
  • Saphir Saddle Soap Some kind of cleaner (is this original Saphir product?). Here is the product.
  • Renovateur Cream, which is what you use as conditioner and cleaner (is the one you suggested me). Here is the product.
  • Saphir Mink Oil Lotion (doesn't come in specific colours) and is used to soften the leather. Product is here.
  • Dubbin Graisse, which I can't really understand how/why to use it.
From what I understand and read here, I only want the Renovateur Cream as I do have the shoe cream and the wax for most of my shoes. Can anyone confirm that my list/understanding is right?
Dammit people, don't use saddle soap on anything!

glenjay

Reaction score

Dammit people, don't use saddle soap on anything!

I have used saddle soap for years as part of my shoe care regiment with no real damaging side effect that I am aware of. However, there are better solutions out there for cleaning shoes than saddle soap. Reno'Mat, for example, is easier on the leather and is easier at removing old dirt and wax build up. I have also used Crema Nubiana for cleaning, but I think it is no longer available.

I would agree with patrickBOOTH that saddle soap should be avoided since there are better solutions available. Although, stating that saddle soap should not be used on anything may be an overstatement, as it probably works really well on saddles (the horse kind, not the shoe kind) :)

Also, nothing beats an old cotton t-shirt for cleaning a shoe. For seams I use a soft bristle tooth brush when needed.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

[COLOR=333333][SIZE=10pt]I received[/SIZE][/COLOR] my first pair of real shoes 2 weeks a ago, CJ Connaught in black. I tried to get a mirror-like cap shine with the spit-shine method. I used ordinary shoe cream just once before applying the shoe polish in a total of 3 layers. The problem is the polish will not settle. I have no problems getting the shine, but once i slide my finger over the surface, it leaves traces from the finger.
[COLOR=333333][SIZE=10pt]I tried[/SIZE][/COLOR] again tonight 2 weeks later with the same technique. However, this time i skipped the shoe cream and went straight for the polish. Went over the shoes 3 times with polish, roughly 40 minutes per shoe in total. This time it was even easier to achieve the mirror, but I didn't manage to finish the polish without leaving the shoe  easily disturbed by whatever that came in contact with it.

[COLOR=333333][SIZE=10pt]I [/SIZE]used the same technique on another pair of shoes that are much older[/COLOR] with quite different results, where the surface is completely smooth and the polish really got into the shoe. The only difference was that I then did a better job with 3 sets of shoe cream before I started went on with the polish for another 3 sets.

Anyone have any tips on what I should do? Should I remove the polish and start all over again with 3 sets of shoe cream from the start before applying the polish?

Could the shoes just be a little oily? I would simply brush buff the whole shoe after each wearing for a few weeks and see if they don't stabalize a bit. The creams can contain a good bit of conditioner and perhaps on the areas which you wish to spit shine you would have been better off without so many coats of cream underneath?

In any case - it will all turn out just fine with a little extra time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads