• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

henryfool3

Reaction score
Double RL has made a few smart decisions over the past several years to keep the brand relevant:
  • Closed a number of their stores
  • Dramatically scaled back their inventory production, resulting in more people -- because of increased interest in the brand -- chasing fewer goods. Toss in resellers trying to capitalize on this and, well, you understand.
  • Established a physical presence in new markets via independent boutiques, which limits their financial risks while also affording the brand more exposure. For example, Indigo & Cotton in Charleston, SC, Milworks in Milwaukee, WI, and Blue Owl in Seattle, WA, all carry the brand now, albeit to varying degrees. These erstwhile untapped markets are now places for people to check out the brand in person without having to order online or from a Double RL store.
  • Discontinued some and tightened up other promotional offerings and sales.
I suspect these changes, along with others, have allowed the brand to continue churning out paint-splattered, dirty clothes for us.

And the only part I don't like is the tightening of promos and sales lol. Otherwise I'm happy they're working to keep it alive. Especially in these crazy retail times.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Less-adorable wife: You know those stupid little threads hanging from your shirts? I'm going to cut all of them off.

I received a shirt earlier this year with the chain stitch runoff and the first time I wore it I was fiddling with the threads on one side and they just broke off. I was sad.

aquila49

Reaction score
Double RL has made a few smart decisions over the past several years to keep the brand relevant:
  • Closed a number of their stores
  • Dramatically scaled back their inventory production, resulting in more people -- because of increased interest in the brand -- chasing fewer goods. Toss in resellers trying to capitalize on this and, well, you understand.
  • Established a physical presence in new markets via independent boutiques, which limits their financial risks while also affording the brand more exposure. For example, Indigo & Cotton in Charleston, SC, Milworks in Milwaukee, WI, and Blue Owl in Seattle, WA, all carry the brand now, albeit to varying degrees. These erstwhile untapped markets are now places for people to check out the brand in person without having to order online or from a Double RL store.
  • Discontinued some and tightened up other promotional offerings and sales.
I suspect these changes, along with others, have allowed the brand to continue churning out paint-splattered, dirty clothes for us.

It's good to hear a positive take on the brand's future. Thanks, Woody!

Gives me some hope that RRL will live on after Ralph departs. (Maybe he's got a stipulation of some sort in his will.)

The man turns 80 next month. Hopefully all that bronc riding and cow poking he does will extend his lifespan.

aquila49

Reaction score
I received a shirt earlier this year with the chain stitch runoff and the first time I wore it I was fiddling with the threads on one side and they just broke off. I was sad.

My wardrobe prompts all sorts of running jokes at our house, including:

"You're going to be so happy! I washed all those dirty "suffrage" jeans of yours and threw them in the dryer."

bwfilms

Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. Just curious, what is everyone's favorite RRL pieces?

There are many, but one of mine, somewhat surprising, is the Indigo Cotton Terry Jacket. The pictures on the site doesn't do it justice. In person, the indigo has a deep hue. The weave pattern and color on the collar/button placket/pocket/and sleeve cuffs give a nice contrast with the main body, and the ribbed hem color meshes really well with the rest of the jacket. I didn't notice until the jacket gets home that the genuine horn buttons have a nice, etched pattern on them. The buttons feel substantial, and the rolled sleeve cuffs and round thingy (not sure what it's called) are very nice details.

The jacket has, I think, a good vintage shape and fit. It's short (will stop at the waist) with wide shoulders. I'd think it will look really nice with the 50's mid/high-rise pants and jeans. It's not a thick enough piece for cold weather, but it'd get a lot of use in cool weather.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi, newbie here. Just curious, what is everyone's favorite RRL pieces?
Oh boy, where to begin with this one ?

Top of my head? Love the slim fit leather and Moto leather that are listed on the site still. Also the suede trucker from last drop. Then the hand knit indigo cardigan from last drop. And the gray baseball cardigan that's still listed...

bwfilms

Reaction score
Oh boy, where to begin with this one ?

LOL - yes, sorry!, I haven't known about RRL for long, and even I have problems picking out one. I've been lurking around here for the past few months, and yours and Bethany Heck's posts always caught my eyes. If I have that many RRL items, I'd be in analysis paralysis when trying to pick out my favorites!

The Cotton-Wool Cardigan and Cotton-Wool Hoodie are also my favorites. I'd really love to get my hands on an XS of the Embroidered Indigo Mesh Shirt, but that' one that got away :-( . I guess you guys don't have that problem!

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Speaking of the slim fit leather jacket, paired with last drop flannel. Also, I absolutely need to know my sizing in women's because their pieces are straight fire. I need this in my life ASAP

20190918_064913.jpg

Bethany Heck

Reaction score
LOL - yes, sorry!, I haven't known about RRL for long, and even I have problems picking out one. I've been lurking around here for the past few months, and yours and Bethany Heck's posts always caught my eyes. If I have that many RRL items, I'd be in analysis paralysis when trying to pick out my favorites!

The Cotton-Wool Cardigan and Cotton-Wool Hoodie are also my favorites. I'd really love to get my hands on an XS of the Embroidered Indigo Mesh Shirt, but that' one that got away :-( . I guess you guys don't have that problem!
Ah, glad to hear you enjoy the fits! It can be tough to find the best pieces in XS. If you ever want tips on getting hard-to-find pieces or whether or not something is safe to leave until a sale, there are folks here to help.

I don't really choose favorites of anything, it’s just not how my mind works. The one that has the most sentimental value is the striped football half-zip, which was my first RRL piece.

bwfilms

Reaction score
The one that has the most sentimental value is the striped football half-zip, which was my first RRL piece.

The first RRL items I bought were the 2 pairs of leather slide sandals and flip-flop. While the web pages for the items mention RRL, and the sandals and flip-flop themselves have the RRL logo on the footbed, I didn't even know or care at that point that they were RRL. I just wanted something nice to wear during the summer, and they look great. I really like them and wear them frequently.

I can't even recall what finally clue me into the RRL brand, but I think it took another 2 months until I bought another RRL item.

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have the straight selvedge twill pants? Looks like my size came back in stock and I might give them a try. The suspender buttons look riveted on, I wonder how hard they would be to remove to use with a belt?

s7-1326344_lifestyle

McSp

Reaction score
The first RRL items I bought were the 2 pairs of leather slide sandals and flip-flop. While the web pages for the items mention RRL, and the sandals and flip-flop themselves have the RRL logo on the footbed, I didn't even know or care at that point that they were RRL. I just wanted something nice to wear during the summer, and they look great. I really like them and wear them frequently.

I can't even recall what finally clue me into the RRL brand, but I think it took another 2 months until I bought another RRL item.

"Someone" said: "RRL isn't for everyone, but if it's for you, you'll never look back".
Ain't that the true...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads