• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Pretext

Reaction score
So question for you guys who also wear LVC. If I was looking for something similar to RRL straights or low straights, what would the best option be for me if I wanted to give LVC a shot? Are they equally ridiculously vanity sized like RRL denim?
[/QUOTE

You can forget low straights, it is even more the opposite. The only variant that approached the low straights was the 1978s. Otherwise, I can only recommend the 1947, its a slim and straight.

pvoytko

Reaction score
That would be my preference, try in person, but I can’t find a single place in Philly that carries them.. thanks!

philly guy here. franklin & poe doesnt have LVC but a really solid selection of denim and brands. however im sure if you're posting in this thread you probably already know that haha

aquila49

Reaction score
So question for you guys who also wear LVC. If I was looking for something similar to RRL straights or low straights, what would the best option be for me if I wanted to give LVC a shot? Are they equally ridiculously vanity sized like RRL denim?

My experience is that LVC denim is that it's NOT vanity sized. My true waist size is 32.5. I buy RRL denim in a 30 or even 29 waist. But as most of us know, sizing is both vain and inconsistent. I purchase LVC denim in 32-34 waist depending how I break it in.

As someone else said, you're better off trying them on. (This guide may be of some help.)

I own the '47 and '54 501s and like them a lot. (There are also models with slimmer cuts but I'm not sure about Low Straight.) The Cone Mills denim ages nicely and I typically rotate the LVC denim with my RRL Straight, Slim, and Boot cuts.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
philly guy here. franklin & poe doesnt have LVC but a really solid selection of denim and brands. however im sure if you're posting in this thread you probably already know that haha

Actually I did not, since I tend to stick with what I know, and that’s been RRL. However, I checked our their website and they look interesting so will check them out. Thanks for the idea..

pvoytko

Reaction score
Actually I did not, since I tend to stick with what I know, and that’s been RRL. However, I checked our their website and they look interesting so will check them out. Thanks for the idea..

definitely do! great store with great brands. second vote would go to totem but they are more geared towards actual functional outdoorsy stuff as opposed to just good menswear

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
definitely do! great store with great brands. second vote would go to totem but they are more geared towards actual functional outdoorsy stuff as opposed to just good menswear

Totem is the one on South Street right? They seem to be carrying less denim these days and more Patagonia and lifestyle stuff these days..

pvoytko

Reaction score
Totem is the one on South Street right? They seem to be carrying less denim these days and more Patagonia and lifestyle stuff these days..

yeah! i guess thats whats selling then? they used to have a really good denim selection when they first opened. also these guys used to make really cool jeans https://www.instagram.com/normanporterco/ and are from philly but it looks like they're getting out the jeans game

urbanwoodsman

Reaction score
Totem still has a solid selection of denim. They carry orSlow, which became a perennial favorite of mine a few years ago, and with good reason -- excellent fit, fabric, and comfort.

aquila49

Reaction score
Franklin & Poe has a nice selection of brands. Really liking those White's X F&P Service Boots. Anyone know what the fit of the White's is like?

You say there's hope for knock-kneed male models? OK!

Totally off-thread here, but how many of you have seen Dark on Netflix? Insanely great TV with awesome attention to detail across a timeline spanning 130 years. The heritage look is big when Jonas visits 1921. (Neck dressing is an artifact from the hanging he survived—or will survive–in 2052.)

Attachments

• dark-s2ep4-disbelieving-jonas.png
    dark-s2ep4-disbelieving-jonas.png
    144.7 KB · Views: 79

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Franklin & Poe has a nice selection of brands. Really liking those White's X F&P Service Boots. Anyone know what the fit of the White's is like?

You say there's hope for knock-kneed male models? OK!

View attachment 1223959

Totally off-thread here, but how many of you have seen Dark on Netflix? Insanely great TV with awesome attention to detail across a timeline spanning 130 years. The heritage look is big when Jonas visits 1921. (Neck dressing is an artifact from the hanging he survived—or will survive–in 2052.)

One of the BEST shows I've seen in a long time. however if you haven't watched at all that pic could be seen as a huge spoiler lol

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another brand that goes seamless with RRL to me is Alden.

Ridgway wash jeans and white selvedge oxford (no idea why this isn't on the site anymore, one of the best shirts I own) and some snuff suede Indys. As much of an RRL homer as I am, I'm that same amount for Alden Indys

20190815_111404.jpg

Bethany Heck

Reaction score
Love Alden and orSlow! I have some black split-toe Aldens that I wear with some of my formal RRL that I'll have to try to snag of pic of sometimes. There's a shop here that carries Kaptial and orSlow and man, that's a dangerous shopping trip waiting to happen.

McSp

Reaction score
I was wondering why anyone mentioned Mister Freedom to wear with RRL. Any comments about this brand?

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
I was wondering why anyone mentioned Mister Freedom to wear with RRL. Any comments about this brand?
Currently my favorite pair of jeans is from MF. The Okinawa ranch blouse is next on my must have list

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads