• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, because tweed pants are too geriatric for my tastes.

The point is, if these pants came from Italy or France they would easily cost over $1k. It doesn't even matter where it's constructed, the fabrics and design is what's important and RL's China plants have high quality standards. There is cheap China clothing and expensive China clothing just like there is cheap USA made and expensive. I'm tired of the China bashing that comes into play here every few months.

Furthermore, two posts don't go by in this thread without mentioning SilvioB or outlets. I sincerely doubt anyone in this thread has ever paid MSRP for anything.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The point is, if these pants came from Italy or France they would easily cost over $1k. It doesn't even matter where it's constructed, the fabrics and design is what's important and RL's China plants have high quality standards. There is cheap China clothing and expensive China clothing just like there is cheap USA made and expensive. I'm tired of the China bashing that comes into play here every few months.

Furthermore, two posts don't go by in this thread without mentioning SilvioB or outlets. I sincerely doubt anyone in this thread has ever paid MSRP for anything.

RRL is part of the American feel nostalgic about the good old days brand, China bashing is quite inevitable by that definition..., though I agree with you about RL's China plants has high quality standard. I have two made in China Officer Chino (9.23oz, and 11.? oz) both are constructed well and hold well so far.

edit: I certainly never paid anything MSRP...

Last edited:

robbase

Reaction score

What's up all? I'm new to this forum and already I'm asking for favors, lol but.......
Can anyone help me find this in XXL? Did they even make it in a XXL?

stu00a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What's up all? I'm new to this forum and already I'm asking for favors, lol but.......

Call W. Broadway or Melrose to see if they any in stock.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

call them, or try it in XL? RL has great return policy

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL is part of the American feel nostalgic about the good old days brand, China bashing is quite inevitable by that definition..., though I agree with you about RL's China plants has high quality standard. I have two made in China Officer Chino (9.23oz, and 11.? oz) both are constructed well and hold well so far.

edit: I certainly never paid anything MSRP...

But nobody seems to have a problem with RRL using Japanese fabrics or when older stuff was Made in Japan. China bashing is ignorant. Especially when you can get "Union made" jeans for $39 bucks. What's that say about USA made when China manufactures better quality, far better looking clothing and get away with charging 10x more money?

Polo is "American Classic" clothing made in China. The public at large doesn't care where it's made and it's made RL a billionaire. As long as RL can stay competitive among other designers, I don't see a problem with it.

RRL isn't a special, exclusive brand that everyone wants and nobody can attain. It's now a mass produced heritage label that makes replicas of historical archives of vintage clothing as well as casual contemporary stuff, a good blend of East and West coast clothing, formal wear, and some British military stuff, nothing more. They are basically the clothing equivalent of buying Taiwan reps of BBS wheels. Seemingly expensive to most, but still cheap compared to the real deal. /rant

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

But nobody seems to have a problem with RRL using Japanese fabrics or when older stuff was Made in Japan. China bashing is ignorant. Especially when you can get "Union made" jeans for $39 bucks. What's that say about USA made when China can manufacturers better quality, far better looking clothing and get away with charging 10x more money?

Polo is "American Classic" clothing made in China. The public at large doesn't care where it's made and it's made RL a billionaire. As long as RL can stay competitive among other designers, I don't see a problem with it.

RRL isn't a special, exclusive brand that everyone wants and nobody can attain. It's now a mass produced heritage label that makes replicas of historical archives of vintage clothing as well as casual contemporary stuff, a good blend of East and West coast clothing and some British military stuff, nothing more. They are basically the clothing equivalent of buying Taiwan reps of BBS wheels. Seemingly expensive to most, but still cheap compared to the real deal.

Agree with you, but that's just the sentiment. It would have been Japanese bashing has today been the mid 80 to early 90s. Japan is a "developed" country, so as far as perception goes, not part of the competing for wage crowd (even if reality might not always be the case, but perception is the key).

Funny you mentioned Taiwan (where I am from) rep BBS wheels, I once run into a friends' friend in Taiwan who is confident about replicating anything (the last time I spoke to the guy, he was trying to replicate some non cosmetic E46 M3 CSL parts). I am not sure how many of these stayed in Taiwan though (as suppose to move to South East Asia or China).

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, I meant that as an American brand it should have been using American denim and fabrics from the start, whereas they have been heavily using Japanese denim and fabrics as a sign of prestige and quality over the years, which is fine with me and also fine with me if they balance it out with cheaper stuff from India or China. The key word being balance.

Those people who only care USA this and USA that never noticed the strong Japanese/Asian influence the brand had from the beginning. Seems hypocritical to accept Japanese materials and construction but not Chinese/India coming from an 'American heritage' label. All political issues aside, I don't think China/India/etc is incapable of making a superior product if they were backed by a legitimate designer.

RRL only recently switched to American denim for their core jeans, but I doubt it was only to be more authentic or true to the brand image, but also as a cost saving measure. So they knocked out 2 birds with 1 stone.

Last edited:

00bam

Reaction score

i will say the china made polos from ralph lauren seem to be more comfortable at the top unlike the sri lanka polos where they seem to small/tight at the top

slide13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yes, I meant that as an American brand it should have been using American denim and fabrics from the start, whereas they have been heavily using Japanese denim and fabrics as a sign of prestige and quality over the years, which is fine with me and also fine with me if they balance it out with cheaper stuff from India or China. The key word being balance.

Those people who only care USA this and USA that never noticed the strong Japanese/Asian influence the brand had from the beginning. Seems hypocritical to accept Japanese materials and construction but not Chinese/India coming from an 'American heritage' label. All political issues aside, I don't think China/India/etc is incapable of making a superior product if they were backed by a legitimate designer. 

RRL only recently switched to American denim for their core jeans, but I doubt it was only to be more authentic or true to the brand image, but also as a cost saving measure. So they knocked out 2 birds with 1 stone.

After getting into nicer clothes I quickly go to the point where I wouldn't even look at things made in China as I thought they would always be inferior to US or Japanese counterparts. RRL Officer Chinos changed that for me. I had the chance to check them out in person and as soon as I did I realized that China can produce something just as good as anyone else. The officer chinos are truly fantastic both in materials and construction, they are better built than my US made RRL jeans or any of the other brands of US made chinos I've ever handled. I have a few RRL shirts as well and they are very nice. I have seen some that were sub-par, mostly due to too much distressing that left holes in the fabric (seen on at least three RRL shirts I can recall...all were purchased and returned to the online store during their big sales). The few I have bought and kept are great though and get lots of wear next to my Gitmans, Mister Freedom, Post O'alls, and EG shirts.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

You should try an XL.
If it's anything like the indian head one from last year, it runs on the big.

subdivide

Reaction score

i will say the china made polos from ralph lauren seem to be more comfortable at the top unlike the sri lanka polos where they seem to small/tight at the top

You will say that... regardless of it being neither edifying nor relevant.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads