• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freecard

Reaction score
yes, would have been so much more good looking without that huge cross :(

the good thing is we often have surprises when the products hit the store so maybe for once a change will be appreciated :bounce2:

michaelvl

Reaction score
Incoming, two jackets by RRL. I love em both!

PS: Thanks pvoytko for helping me out with procuring the denim one!

Denin 271 Jacket:
IMG_2704.jpeg

Waxed cotton jacket with detachable hoody:
IMG_2703.jpeg

pvoytko

Reaction score
didnt end up making the drive unfortunately =( hopefully soon

fwedo

Reaction score
i really love the waxed cotton (but i already have a lot of Barbour...). any insights on size, finish ?

michaelvl

Reaction score
i really love the waxed cotton (but i already have a lot of Barbour...). any insights on size, finish ?

My first observations:

Materials feels sturdy, slightly ridged, good quality and durable. I have worn it once outside with only a T-shirt underneath. It was about 20 degrees Celsius at the time, I found it was getting a bit too warm for my liking. I shall only be wearing it when it is sub 15 degrees Celsius outside. The outer shell of the jacket is 100% cotton.

The inner lining is 100% cotton and very comfortable to the touch. It feels a bit like wool to me. It is however non detachable.

The color and overall design, really appeal to me. I would describe to color as tobacco brown. My picture doesn’t accurately show the true color of the jacket, the pics of the jacket on the RL website do. Due to the wax the texture, light crinkles it develops make the texture of the fabric look interesting. I am confident the jacket not only looks and feels rugged but will hold up strong in ruff and wet conditions. The amount of wax applied to the jacket shall also influence the color and texture etc, so YMMV.

I love the aesthetics and functionality of the large rectangular military inspired pleated side pockets, they are very deep and spacious. I don’t really like the fact that the inner pockets can’t be zipped or buttoned closed, the also feel quite flimsy, they are made within the cotton lining of the jacket. I am however convinced that the inner pockets have deliberately been designed as such (for ease of access), after all this is country/hunters jacket probably often worn in combination with gloves. Other makers of this style of jacket also seem to have the same inner pocket design. I wouldn’t store a heavy item such as a thick wallet in there for fear of the inner pocket developing tears after a number of wears.

It fits true to size. M is my regular size in anything RRL, Polo or RLPL. And in this case, it is the correct size for me too, with regards to shoulder width and arm length its perfect. It is however spacious enough to wear it with a cardigan and for you to still be able to move around in it comfortably.

The hoodie can be detached/attached with three buttons. It can’t however be tucked into the collar. I prefer the look of the jacket sans hoodie and will only slap in on if it is raining cats and dogs.

Cheers,
Michael

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Incoming, two jackets by RRL. I love em both!

PS: Thanks pvoytko for helping me out with procuring the denim one!

Denin 271 Jacket:
View attachment 1644321
Waxed cotton jacket with detachable hoody:
View attachment 1644322

Is that this jacket? It looks so different.
s7-1375498_lifestyle

michaelvl

Reaction score
Is that this jacket? It looks so different.
s7-1375498_lifestyle

Yes, that's it. The stock photo's are an accurate illustration of how the coat actually looks in real life. In hindsight I realised that something went quite wrong with the contrast when I took a photo of mine. My picture was also taken with the hoodie removed..

fwedo

Reaction score
There was (is on Fransboone) a brown corduroy jacket with the same level of repaired détails this winter (came very late on the website). It was first supposed to come with more « repaired » details with outside and inside patches, but the website/store version has a very less interesting finish than the catalog version. I think it’s almost the same level of details than the one above.

Last edited:

alex99

Reaction score
I'd like to see some in-hand photos of that jacket above. If it comes with all those nice patch details I'll eat my RRL hat :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads