• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glimmertwins

Reaction score
I guess that's the rub - there are generally two ways to style RRL:

- the "I managed to snag the most incredible quintessential version of some classic vintage piece of clothing and am now working it into my non period specific wardrobe" look utilizing RRL clothes
- and the "I want to look like I'm in a movie dressed as a 1920s miner, or a 40's off duty naval officer, or an extra on a 50's Roy Rogers movie, etc" look utilizing RRL clothes.

...nothing wrong with either but that that insta photo definitely falls into the latter. An observation that may or may not be true - I met a guy at a wedding not too long ago and we got to talking about personal style because he liked a few pieces I had on. I mentioned how I liked RRL and he specifically said he didn't like the brand because he thought it was too workwear focused/costumey but one of the pieces he noticed and liked was RRL so it really speaks to how you style things. Generally speaking I think Ralph probably markets to the latter which turns off some people to the brand who otherwise might be into RRL clothes but have only seen them styled in that one way.

ac106

Reaction score
I guess that's the rub - there are generally two ways to style RRL:

- the "I managed to snag the most incredible quintessential version of some classic vintage piece of clothing and am now working it into my non period specific wardrobe" look utilizing RRL clothes
- and the "I want to look like I'm in a movie dressed as a 1920s miner, or a 40's off duty naval officer, or an extra on a 50's Roy Rogers movie, etc" look utilizing RRL clothes.

...nothing wrong with either but that that insta photo definitely falls into the latter. An observation that may or may not be true - I met a guy at a wedding not too long ago and we got to talking about personal style because he liked a few pieces I had on. I mentioned how I liked RRL and he specifically said he didn't like the brand because he thought it was too workwear focused/costumey but one of the pieces he noticed and liked was RRL so it really speaks to how you style things. Generally speaking I think Ralph probably markets to the latter which turns off some people to the brand who otherwise might be into RRL clothes but have only seen them styled in that one way.

I mean I think your example number two is a really tiny portion of the customer base. Instagram “influencers” probably make it seem like it’s much bigger than it is but honestly how many people in real life are walking around cosplaying railroad workers and cowboys?

heebalabala

Reaction score
I've got no problem with those middle-aged German dudes. They look like they're having fun with good camaraderie, they're putting in the work for their fades and -- while they stack heavy heritage into each outfit that may push the personal comfort level of some -- you can't say their style isn't consistent. Live and let live, and I can take inspiration when I see combos I like.

I find their regional/international interpretation of workwear and heritage interesting. Definitely a subtle difference to what you see here stateside (except maybe in NorCal/PNW). The cuffs are a lot bigger, the jeans a bit tighter, the color palettes darker, the boots a lot lighter, and they wear a lot of heritage hats, which in America you don't see much of with our heavy focus on ballcaps.

Last edited:

Ghost01

Reaction score
I've got no problem with those middle-aged German dudes. They look like they're having fun with good camaraderie, they're putting in the work for their fades, and, while they stack a lot of heritage stuff into each outfit to a level that many may not be personally comfortable with, you can't say their style isn't consistent. Live and let live, and I can take some inspiration from elements when I see something that clicks.

I find their regional/international interpretation of workwear/heritage interesting. Definitely a slightly different streak than what you see here stateside (except maybe in NorCal/PNW). The cuffs are a lot bigger, the jeans a bit tighter, the color palettes darker, the boots a lot lighter, and they're wearing heritage hats more often than not, which in America you don't see much of unless they're ballcaps.
The Germans have always had a very strange relationship with 'Heritage' . All their heritage stores are well known to be exactly the same, same brands, only offering rigid/raw denim, same headwear, same beards, same redwing shoes. if you want to see real good stores head to Switzerland with Dee Cee Style and VMC in Zurich. They mix it up a little and aren't so rigid (pun intended).

Last edited:

Ghost01

Reaction score
Oh and @crap_shootin_sinner is the Fashion Editor for German Men's Health - says it all.

Ghost01

Reaction score
And whilst I'm spamming the forum.....

I'm glad Summers here. always love RRL Hawaiians. I have another 4 or 5 in storage somewhere I should dig out.

hawaiian.jpg

bwfilms

Reaction score
Hidden item I noticed while searching for Rrl tees. It’s not listed under rrl as it should be. Love the logo tees… they’re slim fitted, they have a nice drape to the cotton (less wrinkles), a wide neck (great for my big head), and very lightweight (great for summer).

I noticed the same things. In addition to your points, I found the cotton has a sheen to it and it's cooler to the touch. It did take sometime for me to get used to the wide neck (and the vintage T-shape bunches the fabric around the armholes), but the following pictures of Brando convinced me :D. I do wish the RRL T-shirts have shorter sleeves however.

1623775537317.png

juniorsample

Reaction score
Hi gents. I have the chance of purchasing an RRL, 90s buffalo lined denim trucker. It's an XL Made in the USA. My question is, were these generous in terms of sizing?
most 90's RRL was cut at least a size larger...so, if labeled a Medium, say, it would fit more like a Large.

heebalabala

Reaction score
Hidden item I noticed while searching for Rrl tees. It’s not listed under rrl as it should be. Love the logo tees… they’re slim fitted, they have a nice drape to the cotton (less wrinkles), a wide neck (great for my big head), and very lightweight (great for summer).
Looks like poly-blend, unfortunately. Never owned any of their logo tees -- have some been poly-blends or is this a new development?

Tyjordan86

Reaction score
Looks like poly-blend, unfortunately. Never owned any of their logo tees -- have some been poly-blends or is this a new development?
Interesting, I own a handful of graphic/solid color tees from past seasons all of which are cotton jersey (100 percent cotton) looks like a new development. ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads