• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

glimmertwins

Reaction score
I'd go as far as saying instead of starter packs, RRL is the final boss...
Agree with this. It seems like the whole of RRL collections falls into one of two camps - THE classic version of that one article of clothing you saw in films/vintage Americana of yesteryear OR a slight twist on THE classic version by mixing and matching, classic silhouettes, with classic fabrics, dying methods, or whatever other period detail that could be borrowed to present a variation.

You gotta admit, if you got more money than time to sift through vintage examples finding the perfect one that fits you - RRL is a real time saver. I say that as a guy who simultaneously complains at the prices and yet can't look away or stop squirreling money away to get my next piece.

...I will say - although it all seems like it came from the same "movie" - I do appreciate the detail of the designers essentially creating outfits for an imaginary scene within that movie. "Here is the scene where the inventors test drive a new car in the dessert" or "here is the scene where our ragtag crew of sunswept heroes find themselves navigating the seas on a small boat searching for some new discovery"...oh fine, I’ll drink the kool aid.

Last edited:

palladio211

Reaction score
Did anyone add this to their collection? i have it but thinking of returning. Where would one wear this to?

RRL has made several overcoats in the past in a similar vein that were unusual, and I thought very appealing. But as you said, I couldn't think of an occasion where I could get away with wearing one, other than maybe to a Christmas party in Manhattan (or should I say Brooklyn these days lol). In 2019 Winter there was a Southwest woven robe/house jacket with a velvet shawl collar that I nearly bought when it was on sale at the West Broadway store. It was just over the top, but I could have worn it at home and no one would know! I passed, but I still wish I had bought it.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Summer time ready

20210429_135753.jpg
20210429_135910.jpg

palladio211

Reaction score
I mean RRL collections are really just Village People starter packs (also half of the Village People are indigo dyed), and it's the same thing year after year anyhow. I don't really see how people can be surprised about what is or isn't in the collections. The only thing that changes maybe is the order in which each Village Person appears, and which half is indigo dyed (with true indigo, of course, that will develop a unique patina over time).

It looks like this year spring's collection is cowboy/indian, summer is clearly motor guy so that's gotta mean for fall/winter we're due to get workwear labourer man and for sure another GI Joe surplus drop. Another cowboy set because RRL.

View attachment 1601029

I'm mostly a cowboy Village Person, which VP are you?
Thanks for the memories and the laugh, I needed it today! I've lived in Greenwich Village for 20+ years and had forgotten all about the Village People.

If you put together a truly representative "Village People" band today, it would have to be a hedge fund manager, a Chinese oligarch's kid from NYU with a Lamborghini, a tech geek software CEO, a Goldman Sachs partner, a washed up formely A-list celebrity, and a 20-something trust funder..... I miss the old days of artists, writers, musicians, cops, firemen, leathermen, ********, blue collar people, retired immigrants, mafiosi, street vendors, etc.

But you make a good point. As much as I like and wear RRL, it's sort of a blue collar/old west/military/manly-man ethos being sold to wealthy people living in places like Greenwich Village, Aspen, and West Hollywood.

Oh and I forgot to answer your question. I'm an actual West Village person, but from my previous life/lives I suppose I'm part cowboy, part GI Joe, and part motor guy. Grew up on farm riding horses, I joined the Marine Corps and flew jets, and have worked on old cars and hotrods as well as raced them for 30 years. I don't wear any of the RRL military inspired items as I have enough of my own "distressed" camouflage shorts, pants, coveralls and leather flight jackets that I didn't have to spend thousands of dollars for......

Last edited:

mxgreen

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For Wallace & Barnes fans, JCrew has a garment-dyed twill workshirt in desert clay color on sale (from $118) for $32.99, but with code "saleonsale" the price drops to $16.50 - medium, large and x-large sizes still available.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For Wallace & Barnes fans, JCrew has a garment-dyed twill workshirt in desert clay color on sale (from $118) for $32.99, but with code "saleonsale" the price drops to $16.50 - medium, large and x-large sizes still available.

These shirts are great btw. I have the navy and bought one in khaki last year, and they're great substitutes for a light jacket. I'd buy them all day long at $32.99 but for $16.50, they are a huge value. I even like the color of that one.

heebalabala

Reaction score
These shirts are great btw. I have the navy and bought one in khaki last year, and they're great substitutes for a light jacket. I'd buy them all day long at $32.99 but for $16.50, they are a huge value. I even like the color of that one.
I agree -- I picked up the olive workshirt a few weeks ago during a 30%-off sale. Wouldn't mind grabbing the navy also. Great fabric and quality, a phenomenal value when compared to similar styles by RRL or Orslow. If the clay color even remotely works for anyone, it's a no-brainer at $16.50.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads