• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Freecard

Reaction score
m to xxl still available in Europe. 30% off so 413 euros

if someone interested in one of the item i sell in RRL BST wants me to proxy one for them i can combine shipment

McSp

Reaction score
m to xxl still available in Europe. 30% off so 413 euros

if someone interested in one of the item i sell in RRL BST wants me to proxy one for them i can combine shipment
I don't understand... are you selling RRL items?

Freecard

Reaction score
No. I live in France. I can buy them for you on the french site and ship it to you, without charging anything (proxy usually charge a certain %) as long as you buy something of me in the RRL BST thread since going to the post office is not particularly fun at the moment ?

Lotuspath

Reaction score
I see someone (ac106) on the B-S-T thread asking about a Briggs chore jacket.

”There is a large for sale for $230 new without tags as it’s supposedly some sort of sample. Do you think it’s a good buy at that price?”

So I thought it might be helpful to explain to unsuspecting eBay shoppers ten of the finer points of Ralph Lauren sample sales based on my experience.

First, the NYC sale happens in Manhattan’s Garment District (don’t know if there are others in other cities). The last one I went to was on West 33rd between 8th and 9th Avenues.

Second, it happens in October. How do I remember that date? Well, I can recall standing in a long line outside the site when suddenly I saw an extremely overweight guy walk by wearing a Batman costume and I thought to myself; “Wow, Batman has really let himself go lately!” ..... then realizing ..... “Oh wait a minute, today is the start of Comic Con at the Jacob Javits Center.” Comic Con is always in October.

Third, you need an invite to get into the sale. But, you can pretty easily get an invite from any of the RL store sales associates. Just follow one of the many online sample sale websites for an RL sample sale alert for the sale date. Act quickly though because those invites go very fast.

Fourth ..... now listen up carefully because this is very revealing ..... almost all the sample items were a size MEDIUM. This is a slim guys paradise ..... sorry Batman but it’s true ..... I doubt you would find a size large Briggs jacket. After all, they’re just SAMPLES for Pete’s sake.

Fifth, Mr. Ralph Lauren (and all his employees & family) have first crack at the sale so the doors are only open to “Friends” or “the public“ on the second day of the sale. Most of the prime stuff is already gone by day 2 but it’s still very worth while that is ..... if you’re not Batman ..... and are a size medium.

Sixth ..... make sure you’re sitting down now ..... most of the shirts go for like $15-25 (some were more like $45) and T-shirts are like $5-8 (if I remember correctly). Here’s my understanding behind the low prices. Samples that are imported are brought into the country NOT intended for sale. Why is that important? Well, they are not subject to the same import taxes as retail items ..... sorry ..... but no expensive China tariffs here. “If you have tears prepare to shed them now” ..... you also often find samples that are even defaced with a black magic marker or have a **** in the garment to prevent the item from being sold. Samples are priced at approximately the production cost (I believe) no additional taxes or mark ups are added. Remember that the next time you‘re plucking down $265 dollars for a work shirt.

Seventh, the sale includes Polo, Lauren, RRL, Purple Label, etc. The garments have brand labels but just regular price tags. There are no fitting rooms and trying the clothes on is frowned upon ..... but hey it’s like total bedlam in there and it’s Gotham City, some people will just do what they will do until someone stops them. I wound up giving a lot of my RRL buys to my hipster nephew who just said; “Huh, what’s this?“ The kid‘s from Jersey so what do you expect?

Eighth, there are a surprising number of elderly seniors on the line outside (I would guess about a quarter of the line). Once inside i saw a lot of the seniors whip out large 95 gallon garbage bags and fill them up to the brim. The bags were so heavy that they just dragged them across the floor. Even Batman couldn’t lift those bags. Huge brown boxes of sample pocketbooks ..... gone.

Ninth, my wife claims that some sample sales also have left over store items that never sold, but using her logic then those garish summer shorts that have been sitting on the RRL website since like August would have already wound up in sample sale purgatory by now.

Tenth, you’ll find stuff at the sample sale that never wound up making it into the stores, still RRL worthy, but got rejected for whatever reason. So, you could be the only kid on your block wearing that rarest ‘non-indigo’ RRL work shirt. Definite chick magnet !

Last edited:

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This coat is on the RRL landing page but not in their outerwear. Did it sell out or just not make it to the US?

Screenshot 2021-01-27 112750.jpg

LibertyStreet

Reaction score
Agreed the green flannel is ideal for a sale item. I picked it up and love it, but definitely overpriced (I only got it because I had a store credit). I have the same cut shirt in the checked blue and black from last year and that one is much softer (5% cashmere instead of 1% cashmere with the green this season).

Alternatively, does anyone have the indigo patchwork shirt sweater in the sale section? Good experiences?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Agreed the green flannel is ideal for a sale item. I picked it up and love it, but definitely overpriced (I only got it because I had a store credit). I have the same cut shirt in the checked blue and black from last year and that one is much softer (5% cashmere instead of 1% cashmere with the green this season).

Alternatively, does anyone have the indigo patchwork shirt sweater in the sale section? Good experiences?

To continue the bathroom mirror sweater theme, I just received the patchwork sweater shirt. Linen/cotton blend.
Glad I finally gave in and ordered it.
View attachment 1483072
Yes, you should get it.

Lotuspath

Reaction score
Does anyone have this shirt? It says 100% cotton but it's stretchy in person as if it has elastine in it and it moves with you. I wonder if there's any other RRL shirt that is stretchy like that?

https://www.ralphlauren.com/men-clo...print-jersey-workshirt/0043002930.html?pdpR=y

s7-1357359_lifestyle

s7-1357359_alternate1

Well let me ask you, do you want stretchy? The item is called a “plaid print jersey workshirt“ and the operative word there is .....”jersey”. Isn’t the very definition of jersey something like = “stretchy fabric”?
I have a couple of RRL jersey shirts from previous seasons and also like them a lot for the way they drap and move. Here is an Ottoman jersey shirt now on sale that I highly recommended twice in previous forum post comments.

Last edited:

styleforumfan

Reaction score
Well let me ask you, do you want stretchy? The item is called a “plaid print jersey workshirt“ and the operative word there is .....”jersey”. Isn’t the very definition of jersey something like = “stretchy fabric”?
I have a couple of RRL jersey shirts from previous seasons and also like them a lot for the way they drap and move. Here is an Ottoman jersey shirt now on sale that I highly recommended twice in previous forum post comments.

I like it stretchy as it's much more comfortable to wear if you are on the move a lot. I wonder where that stretch comes from since it's 100% cotton. My other 100% cotton RRL shirts are not stretchy at all.

diokanye

Reaction score
Yeah because jersey is knit like a sweater so it has alot of the same stretchy properties

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads