• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

bwfilms

Reaction score
Does anyone have any sizing advice on the cotton silk shawl? Any leads as well to where I can find one would be much appreciated

View attachment 1486896

It's slightly trimmer than other RRL sweaters. I sized up from XS to S, and the S fits fine.

The weather in SoCal had been cool enough in the last few days, so I finally got the chance to wear mine. Got many compliments (mostly from extended family members because I was housebound at their homes as we were under mandatory evacuation because of the Silverado fire). I also got compliments from a couple of their neighbors when I walked the dog so it wasn't just family members - LOL.

The sweater isn't as warm as my other wool cardigans, but it is definitely warm enough in the 60 degree range. The cotton/silk combo is very nice on the skin (I wore it once with the cream Hawaiian shirt and once with a white T-shirt). All my other wool RRL cardigans are slightly itchy.

Highly recommended if you can find one.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
It's slightly trimmer than other RRL sweaters. I sized up from XS to S, and the S fits fine.

The weather in SoCal had been cool enough in the last few days, so I finally got the chance to wear mine. Got many compliments (mostly from extended family members because I was housebound at their homes as we were under mandatory evacuation because of the Silverado fire). I also got compliments from a couple of their neighbors when I walked the dog so it wasn't just family members - LOL.

The sweater isn't as warm as my other wool cardigans, but it is definitely warm enough in the 60 degree range. The cotton/silk combo is very nice on the skin (I wore it once with the cream Hawaiian shirt and once with a white T-shirt). All my other wool RRL cardigans are slightly itchy.

Highly recommended if you can find one.
Sounds like the perfect shawl. I live in in the Bay Area so we have somewhat similar weather situations. Not cold enough for a thick shawl but not hot enough to not want to wear one. I see a couple on eBay, but I honestly don’t know if they’re legit..?

bwfilms

Reaction score
Sounds like the perfect shawl. I live in in the Bay Area so we have somewhat similar weather situations. Not cold enough for a thick shawl but not hot enough to not want to wear one. I see a couple on eBay, but I honestly don’t know if they’re legit..?

I'd second the recommendation by @hyunbin09. Most sizes only very recently ran out on the official site, and some do periodically come back. I actually saw a few sizes popped up today! You might also want to call your local RL SA. They have ways of searching for inventory that we consumers don't. I think your chances are still pretty good. Another couple of weeks and you'll have no choice but to resort to something like eBay.

Calvin as in CALVIN

Reaction score
I'd second the recommendation by @hyunbin09. Most sizes only very recently ran out on the official site, and some do periodically come back. I actually saw a few sizes popped up today! You might also want to call your local RL SA. They have ways of searching for inventory that we consumers don't. I think your chances are still pretty good. Another couple of weeks and you'll have no choice but to resort to something like eBay.

do most RRL shawls require you to size up? Or just this specific piece. I’m interested in some of the shawls that are available online atm but want to avoid having to exchange for the appropriate size. Thanks!

bwfilms

Reaction score
do most RRL shawls require you to size up? Or just this specific piece. I’m interested in some of the shawls that are available online atm but want to avoid having to exchange for the appropriate size. Thanks!

Not for me (though I do like the trim, "vintage-inspired" fit) so YMMV. Some trim-fit (as advertised by RRL on their site) RRL items fit just fine, some require a size up. If your return options are limited AND the item is advertised as trim-fit, I would size up.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Oddly enough, the description for that cardigan says "relaxed fit". It's not.
I went with my usual size. I think part of the trim feeling is that it's not as stretchy as thicker looser weave knits.

In general, I would not size up for RRL cardigans. This white one might be an exception although I don't think you should automatically size up for it.

bwfilms

Reaction score
Oddly enough, the description for that cardigan says "relaxed fit". It's not.
I went with my usual size. I think part of the trim feeling is that it's not as stretchy as thicker looser weave knits.

Thanks for reminding me of this. After reading your original post about how trim this is IRL, I went and bought a size up. I remember worrying about it afterward when I saw the "relaxed fit" description. It worked out great though as you were right on all counts.

I think you're also right about the trim feeling because of the material. I really like the feel of this sweater, and I'm starting to wonder what an all Mulberry Silk sweater would be like!

alex99

Reaction score
Ouch. RL sales down -- :|

Interesting this part:

"There are signs that the company’s strategy to add more prestige to the brand via higher prices is paying off. Adjusted earnings were $1.44 a share, topping estimates of 90 cents."

I don't think they will be able to raise prices much more on RRL. I pass on most of my wish list items even at 40% off these days.

mykii2704

Reaction score
Interesting this part:

"There are signs that the company’s strategy to add more prestige to the brand via higher prices is paying off. Adjusted earnings were $1.44 a share, topping estimates of 90 cents."

I don't think they will be able to raise prices much more on RRL. I pass on most of my wish list items even at 40% off these days.

Agree

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

I have 3 or 4 and have never sized up if that helps. Mind you, I haven’t bought any in the last several years, so I guess maybe my experience is less than helpful after all as sizing may have changed..

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want to try the peak lapel, the gorge looks quite high not sure if it will work out but i always like the "vibe" RRL tailoring gives out
Here's the fabric. The cool thing is that since the cloth is doubled over in front, it's not translucent but the back and sleeves are nice and airy
PXL_20201030_013221486.jpg

DLester

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting this part:

Looks like they were talking about the entire RL empire, of which RRL is a microscopic part.

They are moving RL out of TJMaxx and upscaling the brand, which sounds like a good idea.

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love that IH piece I got and see more in the future, however, RRL comfort is just so spot on. Granted this shirt isn't a 12oz heavy flannel

20201030_054036.jpg
20201030_054017.jpg

noretailplease

Reaction score
I love that IH piece I got and see more in the future, however, RRL comfort is just so spot on. Granted this shirt isn't a 12oz heavy flannel

View attachment 1487146 View attachment 1487147

looking good. Your shearling trucker seems to be afflicted with the same long-sleeves issue as my pictured moto shearling, which I finally took to the tailor yesterday to get the sleeves shortened. RRL sleeve length varies greatly among larges...
D9E432AE-0176-4DC8-8DED-1CC227180443.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads