• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

noretailplease

Reaction score
Yeah y'all I've been an affiliate on SF for quite a while. @noretailplease can vouch that I'll happily take care of y'all.

I've currently burned through most of my stock in this sale run, but fall should be here soon. Anyone looking for anything in particular? Happy to give you a heads up and pull your size in advance. As always.... standing 15% for SF members. The perks of communicating directly with an affiliate/small retailer ;)

These people are phenomenal - old world service ??

bensm1th

Reaction score
got this coming
Screen Shot 2020-07-01 at 5.55.00 PM.png

John Doe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I couldn't tell you but they look ugly in my opinion. I paid a couple of hundred more for my John Lofgren's from Standard & Strange a few years back and they look much better and are probably better quality. There are quite a few options for high quality engineer boots out there but they are pricey and sometimes a long waiting list.
IMG_1139.jpg

This guy's channel is a wealth of information: Almost Vintage Style

Last edited:

vintage38

Reaction score
I couldn't tell you but they look ugly in my opinion. I paid a couple of hundred more for my John Lofgren's from Standard & Strange a few years back and they look much better and are probably better quality. There are quite a few options for high quality engineer boots out there but they are pricey and sometimes a long waiting list. View attachment 1416610
This guy's channel is a wealth of information: Almost Vintage Style
Definitely check out the John Lofgren Engineer boots. I own three pairs, Black, Burgundy and Natural. Only a few bucks more but worth every penny in my opinion. If you want the best of the best check out the Clinch Engineer boots. Pricey at close to $2000 and over a year wait, but probably at the top of the Engineer Boot list for quality and style. I have two pairs on order, also sold at Standard and Strange.
81lnGsr.jpg
tumblr_pbygichnOG1tdms17o1_640.jpg

Last edited:

gnu

Reaction score
Last I heard their Engineer Boots were made by Rios of Mercedes.

I bought a pair a couple years back. They fit well but I struggled a bit getting them off in the store. The sales associate said that they would stretch and not to worry about it. The next time I put them on the vamp ripped when I was trying to get them off.

I took them back to the RRL store, and while they were great about getting them repaired, the place they sent them to was a joke. They basically glued it back together and dyed the glue black. It looked like a child did it. I immediately returned them and the sales associate was so confused and tried to convince me that it added to the character of the boot.

About a year later I got a custom pair from Brian the Bootmaker. The difference in quality was unreal and way more then the price difference.

I have handled the Julian era ones. They are out of this world. Great boots and probably my personal favorite shape for an engineer. Not purchasing them when I had the chance has been probably my most regretted clothing related mistake.

winston86dit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Aren’t they still making boots with Julian? Last time I checked the Bowery was still being made by them. Surprised that they switched the engineer to another maker. I’m assuming those pull on roper boots are made by Rios as well?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Bowery boots have been made in England by Cheaney for several years now.

henryfool3

Reaction score

so i have the boots, have had em a few year. they are comfortable and lightweight.

but i just got a pair of black lofgrens. my first. been wearing em all week. and they are far and away the best boots i have ever purchased. from the leather, to the craftsmanship, the comfort, the look. hands down recommend all the way. expensive, but very much worth it.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thx fellas a lot of Lofgren love here and I can see why.
Looking at the descriptions of some of these made in US boots. Some are made in Texas in a small workshop which I assume is Rio of Mercedes? But what about the maker in Pennsylvania, who’s that?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the current Livingstone boot is also Cheaney.

vintage38

Reaction score
Thx fellas a lot of Lofgren love here and I can see why.
Looking at the descriptions of some of these made in US boots. Some are made in Texas in a small workshop which I assume is Rio of Mercedes? But what about the maker in Pennsylvania, who’s that?
You might be thinking of Bryan the Boot maker. The name of his company is Role Club. I've never owned a pair of his boots but have heard good things on his quality. From the online reviews he supposed to be top notch.

Dstorm

Reaction score
Other than the Instagram fall photo, does anyone else have any detailed photos? It looked kind of weak in my opinion.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads