• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I've been collecting RRL over the past decade and also have a similar experience...you can only have so many cardigans, jackets, shirts etc. before you start noticing that all the new releases look very similar to past seasons. At this point I'm just holding out for unique pieces, however unfortunately the prices have been trending on the rise (e.g. the current Southwestern pieces) and/or released as limited edition garments with higher price tags.

With that said, I've enjoyed several dress pants from prior seasons and also picked up the limited edition deadstock selvedge chinos from the current sale that I can get around to posting.

You hit the nail on the head. Things seem to just be variations on a theme. I liked the military inspired pieces as they arise, but do I really need another SW inspired cardigan in a slightly more faded coral? Also, yeah, the prices are a turn off for me as well. I've managed to collect a solid 12 to 14 pairs of jeans over the last 10 or so years, but with prices on their selvedge denim approaching $500? I just have to say no.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I already have two blue popover work shirts but managed to convince myself that this season's chambray one is different enough that I needed it. Also got the red SW popover and the serape t-shirts.

A couple months ago I was rotating winter stuff for spring/summer stuff and came across an RRL leather and a light bomber jacket that I honestly forgot buying. That was enough to make me hold off buying any more outerwear. The forgotten leather is the 3rd one gnatty8 posted with the flowery buttons. I also have the first one he posted with the center vent and if the big lapel one is a peacoat, I have that one too.

Ha, yep, that's the peacoat.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I already have two blue popover work shirts but managed to convince myself that this season's chambray one is different enough that I needed it. Also got the red SW popover and the serape t-shirts.

A couple months ago I was rotating winter stuff for spring/summer stuff and came across an RRL leather and a light bomber jacket that I honestly forgot buying.
I was afraid I was the only one......

Harissa

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought this RRL Hoodie or any of the other plain hoodies that they sell on their website? What is the quality like? Trying to figure out the $265 price tag..

Attachments

• 1590020063013.png
    1590020063013.png
    291.6 KB · Views: 66

Tyjordan86

Reaction score
Has anyone ever bought this RRL Hoodie or any of the other plain hoodies that they sell on their website? What is the quality like? Trying to figure out the $265 price tag..
I have last seasons black zip up hoodie. Definitely one of my favorite hoodies. The inside cotton has Rrl’s signature soft, blanket feel to it. I found it on sale for 40 percent off. I’m not sure I could justify the 265 though.. Here’s a look at the inside..
B26E0903-6479-4C07-B702-F72A6C1D6B1C.jpeg

Last edited:

duff406

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do they usually add new items as the sale goes on or does everything drop at once?

vintage38

Reaction score
Do they usually add new items as the sale goes on or does everything drop at once?
From what I've noticed over the last few years, everthing drops at once. Once in a while a few random returns might pop up in a certain size.

vintage38

Reaction score
My first sale item arrived yesterday. Really pleased with the purchase. Almost wasn't going to buy, but decided at last minute to pull the trigger. Super soft and very comfortable. Looks like I'll be wearing it to work today. Can't wait to receive my other sale pieces.
s7-1357402_lifestyle.jpeg

SLCRich

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1393305
Summer uniform (going on 25+ years)...latest addition to my collection of RRL popovers and a brand new pair of khaki RRL shorts (probably my 20th? pair)...
I own one popover and real question here...how the hell do you put on and take off a popover without dislocating your shoulders?? ? ?

Cooly

Reaction score
I own one popover and real question here...how the hell do you put on and take off a popover without dislocating your shoulders?? ? ?
yeah..you have to remember unbotton it all the way down before you put it on...have forgotten to do that many a time and have to rewind the process mid-flight...

I've had many, I love them.....actually recently found my first one I bought the first season (~93-94...long time ago during my college days...) RRL came out..I'll go take a pic for all the RRL enthusiasts...

Cooly

Reaction score
IMG_1145.JPG
IMG_1144.JPG

Flashback Friday
As mentioned above - found my very first popover from the first season RRL came out. This is probably from summer '93 (maybe 94 - can't remember the exact first year I could buy/find it).. As you can see the label was a little bit different back then - 3 red stars on each side.

I absolutely loved this shirt. Wore it regularly for ~15 years...but as you can see, I think I had some sort of glue gun accident on on the left sleeve...but have kept it for all THE MEMORIES! Still wearable but with a bit of stain...

I was an RRL devotee before it even hit the stores...from the very first ad I saw in Details in the early Nineties. Back then the only place I could find/buy it was Neimans - the Ralph Lauren stores didn't even know about it...anyway..thought I would post for any of the hard cores...I keep finding some early pieces in boxes here and there..

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads