• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

slam

Reaction score
Just picked up a indigo blue rrl blazer on their sale. Anyone know who makes their blazers? Or how I can figure out who makes them?

Edit: says made in Italy, and I'm pulling up old threads that suggest maybe Caruso?

Last edited:

slam

Reaction score
Sale is ongoing, but if the jacket you're looking at is from the current season it's going to be a few months before it hits sale. Keep in mind some items never seem to go on sale if they are considered "permanent" items, such as the western denim shirts and some jackets that they sell every season, like this one:

View attachment 1201514

Hey guys, I missed both the initial drop, and the big restock, but somehow managed to pickup some really good pieces. I'm super new to RRL, but really digging these pieces. I'd love some feedback on some of these pieces. I'll need to return a few because I spent too much on the Mr P sale and now the RRL sale.

I'd like to know which pieces would you consider the hardest to get on sale (as this is really the first RRL sale I've participated in). I was able to pick up:

1. The leather jacket above. As someone stated here, this jacket never goes on sale. I have a Schott brown 530, but had to try this when it popped up in the sale. Hasn't arrived yet.

s7-1260179_lifestyle

2. This belted Ranch Cardigan. I've seen some I like better with more intricate designs, but I'm wondering if this more simple one would be easier to wear. I also have no idea how hard these are to pick up on sale. This sweater is gorgeous, but I also picked up a Ralph Lauren cardigan (not RRL) for $150. Wondering if that would be easier to wear. I can return either.

s7-1341295_lifestyle

3. This Indigo Sport Jacket. Hasn't shipped. Dang it. Was really looking forward to this one. Might get cancelled.

s7-1326475_lifestyle

4. Popover Jacket. This is a really basic piece, but seems like I could get a ton of wear out of it. The only issue is the fabric seems a little thin. Love how it fits though. Seems a little pricey given how thin the fabric is.

s7-1341266_lifestyle

5. Patchwork Plaid. I like this, and appreciate the work required to make it. Also seems a bit over priced, but super unique.

s7-1341251_lifestyle

6. Indigo Corduroy Chore Jacket. This one is a bit oversized, but I really like it. Seems very light weight so could be worn a ton. The only problem is I bought a similar piece, but patchwork from Blue Blue Japan. I'll only pick one of these.

s7-1341128_lifestyle

Are any of these "must haves" based on how hard they are to get on sale? If you could only keep 3 of these, which ones would you return?

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I dunno. Keep what looks best on you, or what makes you the happiest. No one’s going to know or care about the retail price.

That said, I think the popover jacket is the weakest.

mrbig

Reaction score
The cafe racer is a must-have from that list, and I'd keep the first 3 items. As a rule of thumb core styles go on sale if they're being discontinued or tweaked in some way. I own the first generation of the jacket when it was made of cowhide, then they introduced this version made from horsehide and changed some small details. The resale is pretty impressive on these so I'd say if it fits well, keep it and wear the hell out of it.

The cardigan is a nice piece and as the owner of the red-cream-blue ranch cardigan I'd say you're probably right about this one being easier to wear. the indigo SC is a really classic piece remixed, which RRL does very well.

slam

Reaction score
I dunno. Keep what looks best on you, or what makes you the happiest. No one’s going to know or care about the retail price.

That said, I think the popover jacket is the weakest.

Thanks, and good point. I just don't want to return the cardigan for instance, and then find out that they never go on sale, and regret sending it back. They're all great, and all look good.

slam

Reaction score
The resale is pretty impressive on these so I'd say if it fits well, keep it and wear the hell out of it.

The cardigan is a nice piece and as the owner of the red-cream-blue ranch cardigan I'd say you're probably right about this one being easier to wear. the indigo SC is a really classic piece remixed, which RRL does very well.

Hope I got the right size on the leather jacket! I'm a 40R and got the medium. Chest said 44", so was hoping it would work.

I absolutely love that red-cream-blue ranch cardigan (if it's the one I'm thinking of). My wife and daughter said they would like these more without a belt, but wearing it around the house, I warmed up to the belt pretty quickly.

Dstorm

Reaction score
The leather jacket I returned as I thought it was too cheap of leather. Very thin.

The chore jacket fits slim. Other than that, It’s a good piece.

slam

Reaction score
The leather jacket I returned as I thought it was too cheap of leather. Very thin.

The chore jacket fits slim. Other than that, It’s a good piece.

Interesting to hear that about the jacket. My schott has nice thick leather. It would be a shame if they cut corners on this piece. Looks very nice in the pictures.

mrbig

Reaction score
I tried out the leather at the RRL store in Tokyo, and yes it is a thinnER leather than what some of us are used to, especially if you're coming from a Schott. I have a 618 and my 'first gen' RRL cafe racer is lighter but still feels weighty.

The horsehide version is lighter and much softer than a new Schott steer hide, but I think it will break in more easily and take on a patina more quickly.

I'd buy one if I didn't have almost exactly the same jacket already - especially because it's a tea-core horsehide. Expect to pay double what you've paid for any of the other tea-core horsehide cafe racers out there!

slam

Reaction score
Expect to pay double what you've paid for any of the other tea-core horsehide cafe racers out there!

Good point. Thin is probably ok with me. I'm more interested in quality. And I've never had a teacore jacket before. Excited to see it in person.

bensm1th

Reaction score
Hey guys, I missed both the initial drop, and the big restock, but somehow managed to pickup some really good pieces. I'm super new to RRL, but really digging these pieces. I'd love some feedback on some of these pieces. I'll need to return a few because I spent too much on the Mr P sale and now the RRL sale.

I'd like to know which pieces would you consider the hardest to get on sale (as this is really the first RRL sale I've participated in). I was able to pick up:

1. The leather jacket above. As someone stated here, this jacket never goes on sale. I have a Schott brown 530, but had to try this when it popped up in the sale. Hasn't arrived yet.

s7-1260179_lifestyle

2. This belted Ranch Cardigan. I've seen some I like better with more intricate designs, but I'm wondering if this more simple one would be easier to wear. I also have no idea how hard these are to pick up on sale. This sweater is gorgeous, but I also picked up a Ralph Lauren cardigan (not RRL) for $150. Wondering if that would be easier to wear. I can return either.

s7-1341295_lifestyle

3. This Indigo Sport Jacket. Hasn't shipped. Dang it. Was really looking forward to this one. Might get cancelled.

s7-1326475_lifestyle

4. Popover Jacket. This is a really basic piece, but seems like I could get a ton of wear out of it. The only issue is the fabric seems a little thin. Love how it fits though. Seems a little pricey given how thin the fabric is.

s7-1341266_lifestyle

5. Patchwork Plaid. I like this, and appreciate the work required to make it. Also seems a bit over priced, but super unique.

s7-1341251_lifestyle

6. Indigo Corduroy Chore Jacket. This one is a bit oversized, but I really like it. Seems very light weight so could be worn a ton. The only problem is I bought a similar piece, but patchwork from Blue Blue Japan. I'll only pick one of these.

s7-1341128_lifestyle

Are any of these "must haves" based on how hard they are to get on sale? If you could only keep 3 of these, which ones would you return?
I have the ranch cardigan from the previous season, it's red and blue and offwhite and a few other colors. I wear it like four times a week. I tried that on one and thought it would be easier to wear, but I don't really think so. It has such a distinct Western look that it's kind of pigeon holed. This is the one I have and I feel like I can wear it anywhere, without everyone thinking I'm trying to be a cowboy:

large_rrl-print-ranch-belted-linen-blend-cardigan.jpg

Also, I think the patchwork plaid is pretty cool, though I passed on it twice, even when it was 60 percent off. The thing I liked about it was the cut: somehow it looks like a sport's jacket because of the rounded flaps at the bottom on the front. It was just too much for me. I almost sent for it, though.

slam

Reaction score
I have the ranch cardigan from the previous season, it's red and blue and offwhite and a few other colors. I wear it like four times a week. I tried that on one and thought it would be easier to wear, but I don't really think so. It has such a distinct Western look that it's kind of pigeon holed. This is the one I have and I feel like I can wear it anywhere, without everyone thinking I'm trying to be a cowboy:

View attachment 1342338

Also, I think the patchwork plaid is pretty cool, though I passed on it twice, even when it was 60 percent off. The thing I liked about it was the cut: somehow it looks like a sport's jacket because of the rounded flaps at the bottom on the front. It was just too much for me. I almost sent for it, though.

That's a gorgeous cardigan! Not sure I should hold out for one like that next year. Any idea how often you can get these for 50% off or more? Or do the good patterns sell out before the sales?

mrbig

Reaction score
That's a gorgeous cardigan! Not sure I should hold out for one like that next year. Any idea how often you can get these for 50% off or more? Or do the good patterns sell out before the sales?

That's the one I have :) The good patterns do sell out before the sales at the LA store - stylists and costume designers love RRL. You'll have to beat the resellers to it when they go on sale online. I got very lucky with mine and didn't pay full retail. One particular reseller did have them on their eBay for a premium over retail.

As much as I feel like RRL is sometimes overpriced, I've learned by missing out that if you really like a piece and have the cash, buy it. Or develop a relationship with an SA who can hook you up.

jhcam8

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's the one I have :) The good patterns do sell out before the sales at the LA store - stylists and costume designers love RRL. You'll have to beat the resellers to it when they go on sale online. I got very lucky with mine and didn't pay full retail. One particular reseller did have them on their eBay for a premium over retail.

As much as I feel like RRL is sometimes overpriced, I've learned by missing out that if you really like a piece and have the cash, buy it. Or develop a relationship with an SA who can hook you up.
This is the point. Good pieces in M often don't make it to the sales. Pick what looks and feels good and hope you don't change your mind in a couple months! :fistbump:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads