• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fwedo

Reaction score
Country of origin also often leads the customer to "accept and justify" a higher price when he is in the buying process. Message is : Yes, it's pricy but - or because - it's made in France, italy or USA. Quality and fabric are similar between a PL shirt made in Turkey and a PL shirt made in Italy, but for some customers, high price is harder to justify for a made in Turkey shirt (with reason or not, it's often a matter of representations), so, they pass.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Country of origin has nothing to do with it, as I’ve mentioned before...get both purple label and rrl items ..one marked ”made in Italy” and the other “made in China”...buttons fly off both...its a ralph thing...

I get zegna shirts “made in turkey” or their sport coats “made in Switzerland” and not a single button has come loose or cracked yet

I understand the annoyance of loose button (and implication of if they “cut corner” there where else have they cut), but I would say that’s not the thing you look in quality. When my earlier RRL chino came out (2009?) they had more loose button issue, don’t think they have the issue anymore but as far as other construction goes I don’t see real issue

pvoytko

Reaction score
a stitch is a stitch regardless of its geographical origin

what matters is the operators visual QC of the garment along the production process, the equipment it was made on and the quality of materials used

from my research and friends more close to the fashion industry 9/10 "made in the usa" is just a sweatshop located in the USA

Last edited:

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

what matters is the operators visual QC of the garment along the production process, the equipment it was made on and the quality of materials used

from my research and friends more close to the fashion industry 9/10 "made in the usa" is just a sweatshop located in the USA
I've been to some in the garment district back in the day

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Lmao okay which one of you old bastards is this

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

Junglejack

Reaction score

I still like the odds that the sweatshop here beats elsewhere. Moreover, I seriously doubt RL does that as the juice is not worth the squeeze in terms of optics.

When it comes to Uniqlo and whatnot, I never give a flip where something is made.
However, as RRL tends to be seldom discounted, relatively expensive and flying the “heritage“ banner, I will only say that everything RRL I have is made in the states. Sweatshop or not.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RRL chino are all made in China, no, and great qualities too

CMK72

Reaction score
Just posted a couple RRL cardigans in the classifieds if anyone is interested. Both are size small and brand new with tags. They just weren’t for me.

aquila49

Reaction score
I'm in the process of retro-fitting some of my trousers/denim with brace (suspender) buttons.

It's not that difficult to find buttons (either to sew on or attach with a tack hammer) but I'm seeking fasteners that more closely duplicate the vintage look of those used by RRL and other heritage-style brands.

For example:

IMG_5100.jpg IMG_5098.jpg IMG_5097.jpg IMG_5096.jpg IMG_5095.jpg IMG_5094.jpg IMG_5092.jpg IMG_5084.jpg IMG_5212.jpg IMG_5103.jpg

If anyone knows a source for these vintage-style buttons in metal, bakelite or mother-of-pearl, please PM me.

Thank you!

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
I'm in the process of retro-fitting some of my trousers/denim with brace (suspender) buttons.

It's not that difficult to find buttons (either to sew on or attach with a tack hammer) but I'm seeking fasteners that more closely duplicate the vintage look of those used by RRL and other heritage-style brands.

For example:

View attachment 1323047 View attachment 1323048 View attachment 1323049 View attachment 1323050 View attachment 1323051 View attachment 1323056 View attachment 1323057 View attachment 1323058 View attachment 1323059 View attachment 1323062

If anyone knows a source for these vintage-style buttons in metal, bakelite or mother-of-pearl, please PM me.

Thank you!
If i remember correctly, Talon does a lot of the hardware, rivets, labels and trims and not just the zippers. you could probably reach out to them for some info. they even have a workwear section on their site https://taloninternational.com/workwearzippers/

aquila49

Reaction score
If i remember correctly, Talon does a lot of the hardware, rivets, labels and trims and not just the zippers. you could probably reach out to them for some info. they even have a workwear section on their site https://taloninternational.com/workwearzippers/

Thank you for the tip!

Interesting company but it looks like they are more on the manufacturing side. At the most I would need 15 sets of buttons—not the numbers they need to fire up the presses.

However, I am going to reach out to them—someone there may be able to steer me in the right direction. Who knows? Maybe they make buttons for Ralph Lauren and have a few crates of overstock sitting in a warehouse. :)

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I can't find the thread now but it was on the CM side about button stores. Referred mt to a store that sold all kinds of buttons and fasteners including NOS vintage stuff and even things like old Brooks Bros or RL branded items. Also try ebay or etsy. I ended up buying some buffalo nickel from an Amazon 3rd party seller.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics