• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Definitely not considering it's either made in India or China. I'd wait for the sale.
I do love the styling of most RRL leathers but in this case especially I would definitely get something like the mister freedom campus instead

noretailplease

Reaction score
Just dropped. Uber expensive, of course...

...would prefer it unlined...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 79

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
Why does country of manufacture matter so much? You realize everything you buy is designed for the manufacturer to make money, right? Unless this is breaking news for you?
I think people have the right to make a decision based on where something is manufactured, especially at these price points. A $2k jacket McCoy's or fine Creek will be far superior to a $2k jacket from RRL. I think most of this forum can agree that most rrl isn't worth it unless it's 40% off, but that doesn't stop us from buying it

Dstorm

Reaction score
I’ve been 0-3 on RRL leathers. First 2 felt cheap and the last felt uncomfortable.

Side note, I did purchase the corduroy western sport coat.Now that is a great piece.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think people have the right to make a decision based on where something is manufactured, especially at these price points. A $2k jacket McCoy's or fine Creek will be far superior to a $2k jacket from RRL. I think most of this forum can agree that most rrl isn't worth it unless it's 40% off, but that doesn't stop us from buying it
People can - and will - do what they want regardless, but the inference is that there’s a stigma based on the countries of manufacture, which is ignorant IMO. Certain Manufacturing done in China and India has surpassed almost all other places in technology and efficiency/cost so why imply anything less? You’d be surprised at how many coveted brands use offshore manufacturing even if they eventually mark the item as Made in Italy. Cheers!

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
People can - and will - do what they want regardless, but the inference is that there’s a stigma based on the countries of manufacture, which is ignorant IMO. Certain Manufacturing done in China and India has surpassed almost all other places in technology and efficiency/cost so why imply anything less? You’d be surprised at how many coveted brands use offshore manufacturing even if they eventually mark the item as Made in Italy. Cheers!
Not saying their manufacturing prowess is any less than other countries, but if you've picked up an RRL leather recently you'd notice a huge quality drop from even a few seasons ago when they were manufactured in China. The Skinner, Knowles and Davis jackets were all amazing and pretty worthy of their price points. But now there's a noticable degradation of the look and feel in recent models, and they just happened to be made in india

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Not saying their manufacturing prowess is any less than other countries, but if you've picked up an RRL leather recently you'd notice a huge quality drop from even a few seasons ago when they were manufactured in China. The Skinner, Knowles and Davis jackets were all amazing and pretty worthy of their price points. But now there's a noticable degradation of the look and feel in recent models, and they just happened to be made in india

IMO, consumers are in a poor position to judge quality. What they think of as quality is more often than not better thought of as a characteristic. Actual quality issues are often very technical and filtered through various lenses (designer intent, consumer preference, and aesthetic niche). Instead of thinking of this stuff as quality, I think guys are usually better off just thinking about aesthetics.

I can't speak to RRL's most recent leathers, but I have maybe 18 or 20 leather jackets from various brands, including the sort of Japanese labels you mentioned earlier (Buzz Rickson, etc). My RRL leather compares well to all of them, although I don't wear it as much anymore because I've grown away from the style.

It's weird that you'd mention FCL. Traditionally, pattern matching -- here being grain matching -- would be considered a basic marker for quality. On a Tom Ford or RLPL leather, for example, great pains are taken to make sure the skins are perfectly smooth. Any imperfection is thrown away, which results in a lot of waste (and thus cost). With FCL, there's a whole story about why the designer wanted to mismatch grain on purpose, which shows the power of design intent.

In the 1970s, Robert Schooler ran a study showing how country of origin tags affect consumers' judgments on quality. He took something like seven beige cotton swatches -- all identical and from the same bolt -- but labeled them with different country of origin tags. Unsurprisingly, participants in the study saw differences in "quality" that simply weren't there. And the differences tracked prejudices about those countries. More often than not, when people know a country of origin tag, they'll judge quality off that label, rather than directly off the garment itself. IMO, they can't do much else since they have little technical training in garment production, which is why they're better off not thinking about clothes in terms of quality at all.

Production nowadays is globalized anyway. Raw materials can come from one country, spun in another country, woven in a different place, and put together with a different country's trims. Sewing can be done in a different place from where it's finished. Country of origin tags don't even really reflect the reality of modern supply chains.

noob in 89

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think most of this forum can agree that most rrl isn't worth it unless it's 40% off, but that doesn't stop us from buying it

One thing I absolutely don’t get is why right now, anything with an Aztec print is marked up like 400 times the cost of the same item in a different print. It’s not like it’s some mythical thing that’s rare or hard to produce. Yet people are flipping their **** over RRL/vintage PRL “southwestern/Aztec” numbers that are straight up JC Penny 1993.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One thing I absolutely don’t get is why right now, anything with an Aztec print is marked up like 400 times the cost of the same item in a different print. It’s not like it’s some mythical thing that’s rare or hard to produce. Yet people are flipping their **** over RRL/vintage PRL “southwestern/Aztec” numbers that are straight up JC Penny 1993.

I think the Southwestern stuff just connects well to brands such as Visvim, and it extends the idea of workwear beyond Norttheastern traditions. It's just very hot right now.

As for why a Southwestern print may go for more than the same item with a different design, I mean, this is fashion. The value of the item is almost entirely in the design.

This is like saying, "I don't understand why a t-shirt that says "THE SIMPSON'S" sells for $50. But if I just rearrange the letters, it says "MEN'S HOT PISS" and that t-shirt sells for $5"

bensm1th

Reaction score
Dude I just paid like $1100 for two items with Aztec print. I don't know why I did it, but apparently it works.

Cooly

Reaction score
Country of origin has nothing to do with it, as I’ve mentioned before...get both purple label and rrl items ..one marked ”made in Italy” and the other “made in China”...buttons fly off both...its a ralph thing...

I get zegna shirts “made in turkey” or their sport coats “made in Switzerland” and not a single button has come loose or cracked yet

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads