1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

Absolutely crappy leather - quite honestly an embarassment.
    (PS - my 25 years in the industry was designing and manufacturing in Italy - i.e. leather)
    Very very disappointed - one would be absolutely crazy to pay $1800 for a made in China/tanned in China leather when something like an Italian Belstaff leather jacket can be had for not much more. The Andrew Marc leather jackets which the department stores promo day in and day out for $300-$500 are of an equal quality to the RRL piece.

Shirts were not bad - at 65% off. I am not quite sure I would consider them as $225-300 shirts - although perhaps some of the hand dipped Indigos are worth the msrp. The red indigo striped cotton sweater is a nice piece - at the price I paid (actually the suggested retail is high - but not that bad). The nautical boat hand knit shawl cardigan is a nice quality piece - however not at $895. It also does not fit (small by a size) and it must weigh at least 5 pounds (makes my Stark look lightweight). I am quite surprised they are calling this a Spring item.

I had the chance to try on some RRL jeans in the SoHo store this weekend - after my trip to Blue in Greene. Sorry however there really is no comparison between the Japanese product which BIG carries compared to RRL - I would rather spend the same or slightly more and buy the jeans which BIG is purveying (I purchased a pair of ONI slubby jeans for $300).

All in all after 3 years of trying RRL it is not an easy brand to buy. It is overpriced (I guess we all know that and many purchase only on promo) and quality and vfm are hit and miss. After a lot of back and forth for AW13 (I kept only 3 sweaters) and now with SS14 being so hit and miss I think it might be time to take a breather. A shame as many of the pieces are quite tasty looking when viewed online.

1 person likes this.
  2. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Some pictures would be nice. I had an all leather RRL varsity and I thought the leather was really nice, but I'm no connoisseur.

I don't buy any RRL at MSRP. I usually buy when it's 30%-65% off. At that point I find the prices reasonable.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2014
  3. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

PS

I have a Ralph Lauren boutique near my house (First line + Black label (and Purple when it existed) ) and last year I purchased a beige leather jacket similar feeling to the Mendoza (cut). It was on sale from a $1600 list (Mendoza=$1800). Now this is a BEAUTIFUL jacket - butter soft full grain leather which simply oozed class and looked like a million dollars. There is simply no comparison what so ever between the Mendoza and this jacket - not even night and day - rather day and year!

[​IMG]

4. cpmac7

cpmac7 Senior member

5. Lord Nick

Lord Nick Senior member

[​IMG]

Murdocks, rigid straight bucklebacks,America belt, check western shirt

1 person likes this.
  6. thefastlife

thefastlife Senior member

guys...question. i got the rigid slims in size 34. they are a bit big in the waist. is this a huge no-no and should i return? its strange, b/c im usually a 34-36 waist and cannot remember the last time i was a 32...if ever.

will they be OK to keep w/ a belt? they aren't enormous but probably an inch too big.

7. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

Nice piece but I don't think it's really a fair comparison. Are you sure the Mendoza jacket wasn't meant to have a really burnished/aged looking leather like many other RRL products? You don't really describe what itself was bad about the leather. I'm genuinely curious because I thought that jacket was one of the coolest pieces this season.

1 person likes this.
  8. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

Can anybody providing sizing advice for the Murdock & Bowery boots?
    Are they TTS? Half size down?

Thx in advance.

9. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

25 years in the clothing industry or not, I think "quality" can be relative. I know someone who bought the mendoza and loves it (they are also a veteran in the clothing industry).
    I hate "buttery soft" leather and I much prefer a rougher feel to a leather jacket. I have not seen the mendoza, but I believe it is going for a more "rough and tough" feel then an "oozing class" feel. I don't really see how this jacket you posted and the mendoza can even be compared...they are different, and personally I would never even think about wearing this one.

As far as pricing, a hand-distressed jacket from a higher tier brand (rrl) is going to cost more than a straight leather jacket from Polo...that's just basic branding.
    If I had known about the 65% off sale I would have probably tried the mendoza. Every RRL leather jacket I've seen or owned I've loved.

my 2c

10. stevent

stevent Senior member

Haven't handled current season stuff but outside of gambler nothing recently has been anything close to $1600-1800 retail. Even when they were on clearance at $500-700 I wouldn't really consider one it's just not that nice compared to other options

And womens are even worse, this one was sub $300 and paper thin and probably not much better than a leather at Zara:
    [​IMG]

11. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior member

Still loving the fabric and color on these Yuma buckle-backs, probably my favorite pair of RRL pants I own...[​IMG]

12. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

I agree with this poster. Not familiar with the other RRL leather jackets but I can say that I am not mpressed with the quality of the Mendoza.

It is one thing to have an aged distressed look. It is another to use a sprayed corrected piece of "leather" and then beat it up.
    My Italian Belstaff, which does not cost much more than the Mendoza, is made of a beautiful full grain vachetta leather which has been antiqued and burnished to provide a worn vintage look. It looks and feels like the real thing.

As I said - a real disappointment as it looked so beautiful in the pictures.

13. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

Pretty much exactly my thoughts and my experience. And when you factor in the labor, as you noted in another part of your post, literally zero reason for the pricing. AW sweaters were indeed a back and forth and I didn't keep a single one. Fits were either all over the place or the quality was just poor. I honestly was rather shocked as it was my first RRL experience. You're right too, pieces look great online.

That said I do love my Dixon jacket from AW. Looks great on and I'm pleased with the quality considering the sale price.

14. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

I am not certain about the Mendoza, but many/most of RRL's current leather jackets are made from Italian veg tanned leather. The jackets are put together in China, but the leather is not made in China.

Quote:
    Notwithstanding your experience in the industry, nothing could be further from the truth. RRL's leather and construction are far superior to Andrew Marc.

RRL generally uses heavier, stiffer and/or more rugged leather, consistent with the vintage pieces they drawing inspiration from and/or replicating. if you do not fancy this type of leather, RRL is not a good fit for you.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2014
  15. thefastlife

BUELLER?

16. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

if you can fit the thighs, size down. they will continue to stretch another inch or so from where they are.

you can soak em too and I recommend it bc raw, will protect from crotch blow outs later…shouldn't really shrink em that much cause already sanforized. Could super hot dry em too but again, don't expect too much shrinkage.

…or….get the waist taken in via tailor though jean shop recommended here cause of difficulty to work with fabric (chain stitch)

17. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

I do fancy this type of leather and love it. I will take a Belstaff jacket any day of the week, with its "heavier, stiffer and rugged leather" for the same price as the RRP of the RRL pieces. There are rugged beat up vintage looking pieces from every manufacturer ranging from Zara to RRL and beyond. For $1800 I expect top notch beat up vintage leather. I think it says something that I decided to return the coat even though it was obtained with the 65% off coupon - I really do not think I would have kept it at any price.

Do not want to get personal with this - just my opinion [​IMG]

18. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

I was able to handle the Dixon - nice jacket.

Sweaters - I was able to get online the limited edition Vintage Motorcycle sweater (solid body with logo and striped arms). What a BEAUTIFUL looking piece MAGNIFICENT - absolutely could not wear it - it seemed as though it was made with regenerated wool. Many of the "shetland" RRL sweaters I handled also seemed as if they were made from regenerated. Very poor wool for that price.

I was able to keep 3 pieces though - an indigo shawl cardigan in "washed" Merino - nice material - the grey houndstooth body/solid grey arm cardigan in geelong wool, nice - and finally a brown merino cardigan with suede shoulder hunting gun patch. The problem is how many others went back!

On the other hand I purchased two SNS pieces this winter - nice virgin wool which you could immediately tell was not regenerated - as stated in label VIRGIN.
    Same with Shetlands - several from END this winter - YMC - made in Scotland (although the point of fabrication is meaningless) BUT - virgin shetland wool - almost as soft as cashmere. There is good virgin wool out there - you just need to hunt for it.

19. thefastlife

thanks man but i will be REALLY surprised if a size 32 fit me.

maybe ill stick with em and soak? basically sit in a bathtub right? (this is my first pair of selvedge)

20. FlyGuy

FlyGuy Well-Known Member

selvedge has no relevance here (just a construction method for comfort and robustness, arguably)

if you want to shrink, do not wear them in the tub…you shouldn't be worried about over-shrinking them (thats when u wanna wear em, notorious with unsanforized denim)

PLENTY of threads on how to soak denim, water temp, length of time…..what is gonna shrink them more will be the dryer but remember, they are gonna stretch back out anyways (for the most part)…

Respectfully, if they don't fit, they don't fit….the low rise doesn't help here either as people previously mentioned. RRL seems to be vanity sizing +2in after break in (my experience lately). All my 31's are now 33's, 30's now 32's..this may cause belt issues cause if fold over occurs, your crotch will sag and get button-up wrinkle

Depending on how "off" the fit is…you may be better of buying the raw straights, size down to almost cannot button top button, and tapering the knee-ankle - some tailors are better at that then taking in the waist/adjusting the rise - or new idea: buy the size down, 32 slim and get in the tub with them stretching out the parts you need it, leave the waist unbuttoned until dry. Walk around wet-ish, avoid carpet and nice furniture cause of imitation indigo drip --- hump your wife/gf/sig other --- have fun.

GL

1 person likes this.