1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

There is actually a breakpoint.

1 person likes this.
  2. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

If you don't think RL makes ridiculous margins on their jeans you are sorely mistaken

3. zissou

zissou Senior member

Pretty much all Japanese denim has gone up in price over the past couple years.

It's not easy comparing Cone to Japanese. I've seen both fantastic and terrible examples of both. That said, I find most Cone denim to be fairly flat in texture whereas premium Japanese denim tends to focus on slub, loose weaves, and heavy weights... Basically the extremes of denim production.

4. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

I wonder what percentage of sales come from people paying full MSRP and those who buy on sale. Just because they RRL denim retails at $250 doesn't mean that's what most people pay. I think RRL provides the best bang for your buck for high quality denim, regardless of whether it's Japanese or USA denim.

From my own experience, I think the cone lacks the "character" of previous denim in terms of things like slubiness but it's still a really high quality mass produced jean at a great price point.

5. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Economy of scale works to a certain degree, at some point it costs more money to produce and carry over huge inventories. Denim cost only makes up a very small percentage of the cost of the jeans actual retail price. You can also argue that the core jeans subsidize the rest of the collection which consists of expensive one-off pieces, shirts and outerwear that frequently goes to 40-70% off.

RL wants to protect the brand image. At any rate it is obviously becoming too expensive to offer Japanese denim at only $240 or perhaps they really wanted to switch to Cone for other reasons, but I doubt it.

Anyway I don't know why RL should be held to the pricing standards of little brands this is like asking why a BMW costs more than a Hyundai even if real world testing doesn't yield a discernible quality/reliability/performance advantage.

Quote: That is what most people pay, the Core jeans rarely, if ever, go on sale (unless they change the item in some substantial way they will send all old stock to outlets.)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  6. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Anyone selling selvedge is making a pretty good margin imo.

7. captainshields

I was just going to say this exact same thing.
    From what I've seen, resale or secondary markets for RRL comes in below boutique brands.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  8. frankwhite217

frankwhite217 Well-Known Member

are the measurements for denim still available on the RRL site? I've been going to Unionmade goods to get proper measurements...

9. captainshields

I've never seen measurements on the rrl site

10. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

[​IMG]

I was trying to show the texture differences but it's kind of hard to make out. the order top to bottom goes Japanese (Wallace &barnes) cone (Raleigh) Japanese (rrl) and cone (LVC)

1 person likes this.
  11. zippyh

zippyh Senior member

The Japanese RRL site has measurements.
    http://www.ralphlauren.co.jp/men/rrl/denim

1 person likes this.
  12. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

13. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior member

I like the nerdy denim talk

As a hobbyist crafter i see japanese denims at non bulk prices as low as 7.50 a yard to 12.00 depending on weight and other factors

It takes roughly 3 yards to make a pair + canvas for pocket lining, rivets, thread, leather patch...

3 people like this.
  14. notwithit

notwithit Senior member

I'll echo this. I've certainly seen Japanese denim that has been relatively flat, but some of the niche Japanese denim companies like Samurai, Sugarcane, PBJ, &c. have crazy amounts of slub and texture, and I've never seen anything like that coming from Cone.

I would also think sheer volume could also be an issue. I'm sure it's a somewhat different story, but didn't Uniqlo cut out their MIJ jeans because the mill and/or factory couldn't keep up with their production demands? I'm sure it's a somewhat different story with RRL, particularly since the Uniqlo jeans were at an insanely low price point and probably a much higher volume, but it may be a factor.

In other news, I got some RRL stuff - the type II jacket and ltd. edition straight jeans - in the mail yesterday and had the opportunity to crack it open today. I'm pretty sure the LE straight fits use Japanese denim and the type II jacket uses Cone, although both are pretty substantial. They're both really nice pieces, but I don't think either has a place in my wardrobe right now.

Fingers crossed that they come through with the clydes and officer chinos, both of which have a status of 'item(s) located in stock' at present.

15. Mehmet Korkmaz

Mehmet Korkmaz Senior member

I also agree with the comments about Cone being more flat and even-textured. It doesn't mean it's worse--it's just a different aesthetic.

I'm no industry insider, but profit margins on jeans are very high. The simple fact that there are so many upstart boutique brands buying Cone and Japanese selvedge, selling at the $200 price point, and constantly growing is testament to the fact that selvedge jeans are a relatively low-cost, high-yield product.

Take Gustin, for example. They 'wholesale' american-made Japanese selvedge for $80 and are doing very well for themselves. But when they applied the same pricing model to oxfords, they needed to sell them at $110, because they mentioned that shirts are actually much more labour intensive. This tells us a lot about how we perceive selvedge denim to be a lot more labour and cost intensive than it actually is.

1 person likes this.
  16. captainshields

Ya, I'd much rather have to make a pair of jeans than an oxford.

17. 00bam

00bam Senior member

just got my order in...i got the 1 spokane and 2 repaired denim...all in 31x30 because ive seen and heard sizing inconsistances qc whatever you want to call it and a wallet which im keeping....ok so i try on the repaired and noticed its a bit snug up top...so i try on another repaired and same thing...the inseam is on point tho and its not baggy just snug up top....the spokane is not as snug up top but it seems a bit baggier but not baggy baggy but also the inseam on that one is a half inch longer or so so i think that has something to do with it....both of them are selvege even tho the site doesnt say the spokane is and aslo the spokane is in fact most likely 16 oz its pretty thick....fit pics to come

18. 00bam

00bam Senior member

also damn i wish my area still had a rrl shop!!!

19. Ghost01

Ghost01 Senior member

I think we are missing another factor that might have been in play with the switch to Cone for the core denim.

I had heard that since the London Olympics and the back lash against the Made in China outfits, RL has been challenging the design teams to try and increase the level of US production and fabrics across the business.

the Cone switch may have come out of that.

20. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Senior member

My orders still indicate "items located in stock"
    Has anyone telephoned them to inquire about orders.......or are we all just waiting to see what happens
    I am tempted to telephone however it might just open up a can of worms and aggravate a sore spot

Last edited: Mar 26, 2014