1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Cool man. Will do. I'm a 28 too. I always avoided the bucklebacks because I thought the would fit way wider and I've noticed on ebay especially the measurements for the waist seem to be all over the place.

2. botfc

botfc Senior member

For what it's worth, some stores (Melrose and NY) did sit on some JP stock as of late December (I bought 2 pairs of SF rigids from the West Broadway store at that time). I could see some non RRL shops still sitting on a few pairs too. The problem is that the SKU # is the same, regardless if they are JP and Cone. Stupid move. You just need to find a sales rep who is willing to spend some on helping out.

3. Adroit

Adroit Senior member

HUGE thanks to Deez Nutz for hooking me up with 7 new RRL pieces at 40% off plus no 10% sales tax!!! While its not the 65% off that some here subsequently scored (to which sales tax was added), I am nevertheless very pleased with the discount, and with the new pieces. Thanks DN!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. runyourchain

runyourchain Senior member

Rrl clothing. .. thanks for the fit break down. Very useful information. Anyone know what Rrl fit Gustin's slim fit is closest to? Thinking about grabbing some future colored Japanese selvedge if they might fit.

5. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Not all of them.

Some seasonal washes are still using Japanses denim and they do Limited Edition stuffs with Japanese denim too.

They changed most of their Core items to Cone denim and while some stores and some of them might be in the warehouse but I believe 95% of the stocks are probably made out of Cone denim.

But I heard that Cone denim for RRL jeans are exclusively made just for them but I don't know other difference other than weight.

6. captainshields

Does the cone denim say "cone" on the pocket bags? Every pair I own says japanese woven selvedge....

7. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

It will say American woven denim. It was possible to find Japanese late last year, its almost April, its all gone by now. Im seeing more and more seasonal washes use Cone, so its only a matter of time since they axe Japanese denim altogether.

Also didnt someone say they fired Golden Win and they were pissed? Wonder who supplies their stock for the expensive LE jeans, maybe Oni or similar.

8. captainshields

It's interesting to see the evolution of stuff like this. Personally, I think I'd rather have American Cone...but I guess I'm probably in the minority there.

9. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

I picked up a pair of both cone and Japanese versions recently from the outlet, the difference was pretty significant. The texture, thickness, and rigidity were all very different between the two models

10. captainshields

It's different but is cone really "worse"?

I've had cone denim in other brands and I like the feel better than a lot of the RRL japanese I've owned.
    Just a preference I guess.

I don't really "feel" the denim on my body (or I can't tell the difference) so I don't really care. It matters how it looks most to me.
    The most comfortable pair of jeans I own is a crappy pair of work levis that have elastic in them haha.

I dunno...

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  11. Fenderplyr

Fenderplyr Senior member

I wouldn't say worse. Its a matter of preference i guess. I feel like cone is a very clean cut denim that looks more machine made while the Japanese denims I've seen look like they have an imperfect hand finish to them

12. RRL CLOTHING

I have received a pair of these as a gift a couple of months ago that use Cone denim, been breaking them in nicely and have been impressed with them so far. I expect the RRL ones made of 16oz to be even better. They also have a slightly lighter shade / greencast look to them in real life vs. the Japanese denim having a very dark almost black redcast to them.

No doubt it is to save a little money for RL, but in their defense, they haven't increased the price of the core jeans in years and have to stay competitive. Offering Japanese denim under $300 may not even be an option anymore.

13. captainshields

I'm just a sucker for US stuff too...so even if japanese is "better"...i gravitate towards stuff that says united states on it.

14. OccultaVexillum

OccultaVexillum Senior member

You can't really say that when Rogue Territory and 3sixteen (among others) are not only using japanese denim, but japanese denim that is milled specifically and exclusively for them. And they operate on a much smaller scale than RRL is.
    I could be way off, but it seems like there is probably some kind of pressure for RRL to increase it's profits or fold. And since it's one of Ralph's pet projects and loves he has had to make compromises. Or I could be reading way too much in to this. Or RL has had some issues with Japanese mills that has destroyed the brands relationships with those suppliers. But if brands operating on much smaller levels can make japanese selvedge denim right around $200 than I have no clue why RRL can't. My Baldwin's I got like 3 years ago are from Japanese denim (Nihobu?) and were $185 msrp. Baldwin was practically an unknown then (I think that was their first ever run of denim, so no way they had some kind of insider deal on the denim).

15. RRL CLOTHING

There's a lot more expenses involved in running a billion dollar brand like RL beyond just the cost of materials and labor. It would actually be cheaper for a smaller brand or online brand/crowdsourced no-name brand who make small batches and even smaller profits.

ETA: I'd also like to see what luxury designer or even regular brands offer good quality Japanese selvedge denim for $200 today MIUSA or Japan, not from 3 years ago. Even Jack Spade's Cone jeans are $248 and cost real money now.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  16. captainshields

You're paying for a brand, so obviously a boutique brand like baldwin or rogue territory would be cheaper, not more expensive.
    Personally I'd rather pay $300 for RRL than $200 for baldwin. They count on you becoming a brand whore ;)

17. OccultaVexillum

How so? Wouldn't their higher profits and bulk manufacturing off set those costs? And if mainline RL is making a killing then RRL can afford to take some losses to appease the die hards.
    I'm not saying you're wrong, but in a large company everything is bigger, expenses and profits. Kust saying that a company whose minimum purchase is in the 100 thousands is going to get substantial discounts over a company placing an order of 800 pieces. One that has established manufacturing processes and stockists and customer bases is going to have a more efficient manufacturing process and higher profit margins.
    I don't see how a small company would have benefits in terms of cost.

18. OccultaVexillum

And like I just said, RT and 3sixteen both make good quality Japanese denim for around $230.
    Both RT and 3sixteen use better denim than RRL do (even when RRL used Japanese denim) in my opinion. The only problem is 3sixteen don't fit me and RRL have the best washes around. If it's just a pair if raw denim were talking about though is take RT every day, it's the other RRL stuff I like better. 3sixteen and momatoro have the nicest denim I've felt actually, but I can't fit in either of them comfortably. RT isn't far behind and the fit is perfect.
    And the way RRL is sold and marketed (or not marketed) is much more like a boutique brand anyway.

19. OccultaVexillum

Please forgive the grammar I'm on my phone and it's being a ducking asshole.

20. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

My guess is that using Cone denim was just logistically easier. Like you said, the issues of a large company are very different from those of a small company.

Re. The price. It's probably to keep RRL at the right pricepoints. Material costs are only a big factor at the low end, like Walmart or Old Navy, where material comprises as much as three quarters of the manufacturing cost. Premium and luxury jeans are a high margin business.

1 person likes this.