• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by scribbles
Funny, every time I've left that store I felt like I'm the one that got raped (financially). Doesn't mean I didn't enjoy it though.

mutual ****. feels so wrong.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
I must say that the RRL Officer Field Trouser is my go to chino. Considering picking up another pair just to keep in the closet for backup just in case they stop producing it for some reason.

I purchased my first pair a few weeks ago and I feel the same way. Really love the cut and fabric and fit. I hadn't been reading up on this thread, though, so I was both surprised and disappointed when I got home and noticed they had been made in China. Don't know why, but I felt a little tricked.

I'm over it, and I'll probably buy them again some day.

gumercindo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Trapp
I purchased my first pair a few weeks ago and I feel the same way. Really love the cut and fabric and fit. I hadn't been reading up on this thread, though, so I was both surprised and disappointed when I got home and noticed they had been made in China. Don't know why, but I felt a little tricked.

For those that have the field chino, can you post pics?

TIA.

oceansaway

Reaction score
Had a pair of the current RRL cargo pants shipped to me in a size 30x30. They're HUGE. Not just a little big, but way way too big. The waist actually measures a size 34 - four inches bigger than marked. They were also at least two inches too long. What's up with RRL sizing? Just ridiculous.

Dexter_

Reaction score

I understand where you're coming from regarding that China stuff. Their Jeans are made in the USA though, I believe. I should stop by at the local RL (RRL section inside the store) and check out the flannel shirts just to see where its made.
devil.gif

theRRshop

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
I understand where you're coming from regarding that China stuff. Their Jeans are made in the USA though, I believe. I should stop by at the local RL (RRL section inside the store) and check out the flannel shirts just to see where its made.
devil.gif

RRL is still made all over the World... including China. They as a company still have to find the lowest costs to produce their items. Very little will be made in the USA because of the high cost of labor, as compared to other countries. Therefore checking a label at a store, will not give you the whole story... and salespeople really have no idea where the RRL Design House has their items produced. And as one may or may not know the PRL Corp. holds MANY secret in it's war chests... they don't want the consumer and even staff to know the quannity and where a item is really produced. The only one that really knows is the Chair of the Corp. Ralph Lauren himself.

What they do however want you to trust is, in the product itself (no matter where it is made)..
most RRL buyers/Collectors do trust the RRL label, therefore they really don't question the quality or where it was produced.

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by theRRshop
RRL is still made all over the World... including China. They as a company still have to find the lowest costs to produce their items. Very little will be made in the USA because of the high cost of labor, as compared to other countries. Therefore checking a label at a store, will not give you the whole story... and salespeople really have no idea where the RRL Design House has their items produced. And as one may or may not know the PRL Corp. holds MANY secret in it's war chests... they don't want the consumer and even staff to know the quannity and where a item is really produced. The only one that really knows is the Chair of the Corp. Ralph Lauren himself.

My comment was just tongue in cheek. I'm not that concerned if it was made outside the USA.

What they do however want you to trust is, in the product itself (no matter where it is made)..
most RRL buyers/Collectors do trust the RRL label, therefore they really don't question the quality or where it was produced.

We're actually on the same page. I'm a fan of the brand regardless of where a particular piece is made.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They as a company still have to find the lowest costs to produce their items. Very little will be made in the USA because of the high cost of labor, as compared to other countries.

Of course. It's the history of modern manufacturing. Still, a few companies manage to hang on and produce quality pieces in the states while turning a profit. I don't buy Alden because they're made stateside, but a part of me enjoys knowing they are and always have been, and that I'm supporting some of that history when I buy their shoes. Regardless of the quality, it would make a difference to me if they started exporting labor to China.

[/quote]Therefore checking a label at a store, will not give you the whole story... and salespeople really have no idea where the RRL Design House has their items produced. And as one may or may not know the PRL Corp. holds MANY secret in it's war chests... they don't want the consumer and even staff to know the quannity and where a item is really produced. The only one that really knows is the Chair of the Corp. Ralph Lauren himself.[/quote]

This is weird. Is it true?

[/quote]What they do however want you to trust is, in the product itself (no matter where it is made)..most RRL buyers/Collectors do trust the RRL label, therefore they really don't question the quality or where it was produced.[/quote]

I can see myself eventually becoming a big fan of RRL (I really like the stuff that I've seen), but I doubt I'll ever stop questioning the quality of any brand or where it is produced. Many great brands (too many to mention) start strong, continue strong, and then suddenly or gradually jump the shark and become crappy brands that you wouldn't dress your dog in. I don't see RRL doing that I obviously don't know a quarter of their history that you do. But nothing wrong with being a bit vigilante.

theRRshop

Reaction score
theRRshop wrote: Therefore checking a label at a store, will not give you the whole story... and salespeople really have no idea where the RRL Design House has their items produced. And as one may or may not know the PRL Corp. holds MANY secret in it's war chests... they don't want the consumer and even staff to know the quannity and where a item is really produced. The only one that really knows is the Chair of the Corp. Ralph Lauren himself.

This is weird. Is it true?

Of course this is true, the saleperson doesn't always know everything about what they are selling... the NY RRL stores know me very well, but never can really give me an answer as to HOW MANY WERE MADE (as a collector you want to know this) and WILL THERE BE MORE COMING?
Or if the Tokyo store has a certain item.

One question I have been asking them for some time is what is the reason for the (early) WHITE RRL label... nobody there seems to know. But I believe the WHITE LABEL RRLS were produce for the RRL PARIS store, way back... the first three RRL boutiques were in LA, NY and PARIS.

whitelabel.jpg

So I have come to understand that the head office doesn't fill the selling staff in on everything.

But yes, you can always trust the RRL quality is there..... They NEVER let out a defective RRL piece.

Henryyy

Reaction score
Where would one buy a RRL chambray shirt? Anyone know of any retailers in Vancouver? OR an online shop that ships to Canada?
img0326or.jpg

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After a long quest, I finally landed some size 30 raw slim fits in indigo. Wearing them right now and I love them. Also, made in USA.
bigstar[1].gif
(or at least the tag says they are)

They're snug, but i really like the fit, and the denim is sooo nice. It's gonna be fun breaking these in this summer.

QTime

Reaction score
Hello guys,

I do have one question. I´am lustign for some RRL Shell Darltons for some while now but actually 795$ is too much for me. I heard that these shoes go on sale every year for 40% off or something - is this true?

Do you guys know when this happens and if this is available to all customers or just to a few?

Thanks !

Simon.

Trapp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, they're just Ralph Lauren. The sale is available to everyone, and should be coming up soon. You can sometimes get an additional 15% off the 40% sale price. Check in with an RL store and/or visit the forum thread devoted to sales and discounts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads