• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah it's definitely got a lot worse recently. eBay seems to have removed the ability to leave negative feedback too which makes it very frustrating as a seller. Basically, there's nothing you can do if you get a non-paying, uncommunicative buyer except wait 8 days and relist. On top of that, the eBay fees suck - no wonder the founders wealth is 8.2 billion...

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ebay has gotten a lot cheaper to sell in recent years. 5 years ago it cost $2.70/week to list an item with BIN for $199. Now it's .02c. Multiply that by 500, or 1000.

It's gotten very cheap to list a thousand items. Yes the FVF have gotten up from 6-9%, but it's better to pay more on items you sell than pay a little less on items that don't sell. So if you want $100 for a chinos, you can put them for $109 and you'll still find a buyer pretty quickly seeing how demand for RRL has soared in the last 24 months. Plus you can always work something out through Paypal, though against the rules, Ebay doesn't seem to be cracking down on that.

I agree seller's should have some feedback recourse, that is one of my biggest gripes. However there are ways around it. You can leave a Pos. FB like "GOOD BUYER" and then leave a followup with something like "DEADBEAT BUYER BLOCK IMMEDIATELY" that won't violate ebay rules for feedback abuse. In the past there were vicious sellers with 20,000 feedback and if you negged them, they negged you out of spite and it didn't do anything to their 99.999% rating, but if you were a casual seller your fb would go from 100% to 80% so that wasn't very fair either.

Another gripe I have is only 40-50% of people leave FB . People figure by leaving feedback it only makes the seller look good and don't care because it doesn't benefit them. Unless you give 70-80% off then they might actually want to leave feedback because they are so happy and want to express that happiness with everyone on ebay - but if they pay a fair market price, or retail price, they don't feel like they got a deal, they simply refuse to leave feedback, even after many emails asking for them.

I want ebay to do away with feedback and just give you a +1pt for each sale with a comments section that people can leave personalized feedback. Or, buyers can leave feedback, but if they do not after 60 days, ebay will add a generic positive comment and value. I think by showing the community how much merchandise is actually moving, instead of just going by feedback, it will make buyers more willing to shop on the site.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah wish stuff moved on this forum, stuff listed here for months sells within a week or less on eBay, kinda ridiculous

silverwarebandit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm liking some of the new stuff that's gone up.

Nemo004

Reaction score
HI Hoit, as the man who is an expert on all things RRL i was wondering whether you might be able to help. i am mad about this jacket, and was woondering if you knew whether it is possible to commission one of pieces, which are no longer in production, from RRL ? Alternatively whether they might allow you to contact the artisans who made the jacket and commission one. I am XXL so you see the problem. There is a medium version of this jacket for sale on ebay, but obviously it is too small. Hope you can help.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

HI Hoit, as the man who is an expert on all things RRL i was wondering whether you might be able to help. i am mad about this jacket, and was woondering if you knew whether it is possible to commission one of pieces, which are no longer in production, from RRL ? Alternatively whether they might allow you to contact the artisans who made the jacket and commission one. I am XXL so you see the problem. There is a medium version of this jacket for sale on ebay, but obviously it is too small. Hope you can help.
I definitely would not describe myself as an expert. There are other here who are much more familiar with the brand. As far as I'm aware it's pretty rare for RRL to make anything in size XXL. They do do it, but not for everything. For info on that particular jacket I would suggest getting in touch with Ralph Lauren customer service and seeing if they could give you any information on the manufacturer. I highly doubt you'll get anywhere, mainly because I doubt the average RL customer service rep will know anything about particular items other than measurements and which store you'd be able to find it in. Really, you would need to find someone who is very familiar with the inner workings of RRL development and design. If I were you, I would keep my eyes peeled for vintage XL RRL pieces which sometimes pop up on eBay. An XL vintage piece would be much larger than the current XL items due to the change in sizing that taken place over the past few years. in my opinion, an XL vintage item would be much closer to today's XXL size. Good luck!

Nemo004

Reaction score
HI thanks for that Hoit. XXL fits me fine, i've been wearing XXL Ralph Lauren and RRL since 1997 and it is a good fit. I have a contact in the Chicago store who basically points out that most of the XXL stuff comes into the stores and not the website. I tend to get most of my RRL stuff through her and her colleagues. Having said that, given that the RRL brand seems to be expanding globally ( The womens website is now starting up) they have seen a slight increase in the amount of larger sizes coming through.

Ive tried customer services, and your right, they are limited in the service they offer. For artisan pieces like this jacket, I probably need to get to the buyers ( the folk who buy the stuff in ) . Thanks for your efforts anyway.

Nemo

AriGold

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Anyone kopped the RRL peacoat from last season (one with the oxy-brass button) and looking to part with? I'm a 38" chest

most underrated peacoat given that it went to 50-60% off.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Was at Woodbury today. Still have crap loads of belts available so bought a few. Picked up some Tan Bowery's at a great price. Had loads of Brunel's in various sizes which weren't reduced very much. Had some very nice Tan Wilberforce wingtips which unfortunately weren't discounted enough either. Also had a crap load of winter accessories which also were hardly discounted at all for some reason. Had some Black Bowery's - size 7 & 8 I think but again - they were around $550 so didn't pick them up. Had loads of $850 Cowboy Boots which were around $220 but couldn't be bothered to buy any. Almost bought a sweet SB suit in 42L / W34 - retailed for $1600 and reduced to $209 but again, wasn't too interested as it was L and unvented. Was a great fabric and cut though. Think that was about it.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Were there any Rinse/Rigid Slim Bootcut left? A few resellers I was speaking with were able to pick up 100+ pieces.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads