• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, having recently tried on a pair of 501s and owning the RRL raw straight in the same size, I really don't equate the two. The RRL is noticeably roomier everywhere. Maybe if you sized down one - a 34 straight might be eqivalent to a 36 501.

On the other hand, having recently tried on two Edwin Nashvilles (34 and 36), I can say that the Nashville (36) is practically identical to the RRL straight (36) that I have in just about every aspect of sizing. I'm on the hunt for a 34 straight raw or rinsed (don't really care)

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is all very helpful. Thanks everybody.

I tried the slim straights in the store not too long ago. First of all, the denim is Cone denim (U.S.) rather than the Japanese selvedge used in most other pairs. Second, while the website says that these are 16 oz. weight denim jeans (which is a bit heavier than the normal 14.5 oz. I think they use on the other pairs), they felt very light and the guy in the store said they were only 12 oz. Confusing. I'm not really a slim fit jeans kind of guy (large thighs, large rear) and the Cone denim did not blow me away (esp. not at that weight), so I passed.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This is all very helpful.  Thanks everybody.

I tried the slim straights in the store not too long ago.  First of all, the denim is Cone denim (U.S.) rather than the Japanese selvedge used in most other pairs.  Second, while the website says that these are 16 oz. weight denim jeans (which is a bit heavier than the normal 14.5 oz. I think they use on the other pairs), they felt very light and the guy in the store said they were only 12 oz.  Confusing.  I'm not really a slim fit jeans kind of guy (large thighs, large rear) and the Cone denim did not blow me away (esp. not at that weight), so I passed.

Yeah the straights are def roomier than a 501. I think the Slim Straight is narrower with a lower rise, but I havent tried them on to check on that. And pretty sure all the raw stuff is going to be Cone now so you dont really have much of a choice on that one

46n2

Reaction score
Thanks for all the great info ! You guys are awesome.
worship.gif

Baldomero

Reaction score
This is all very helpful. Thanks everybody.

I tried the slim straights in the store not too long ago. First of all, the denim is Cone denim (U.S.) rather than the Japanese selvedge used in most other pairs. Second, while the website says that these are 16 oz. weight denim jeans (which is a bit heavier than the normal 14.5 oz. I think they use on the other pairs), they felt very light and the guy in the store said they were only 12 oz. Confusing. I'm not really a slim fit jeans kind of guy (large thighs, large rear) and the Cone denim did not blow me away (esp. not at that weight), so I passed.
I have the straight leg they used to make, and I think RRL denim does soften up quicker than other raw denims on the market. The whiskering around the crotch is pretty nice, but the combs on the back of the knee are pretty much non-existent. I have the feeling that no matter how hard you wear your RRLs, the lack of starch in the denim is going to lend a more vintage, subtle look. For better or for worse. I think that is also why you don't see too many pictures of RRL fades after several months. The contrast on mine is in no way as strong as APCs and N&F Indigo and Deep Indigo pairs I've worn.

tanapoom123

Reaction score
hello can I deducted sales tax from checkout at RRL web online shop

I'm try many way but doesn't work

Last edited:

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

l'm international buyer . new for buy online

We don't have VAT in the US, and there are no rules for refunding sales tax to foreigners. Are you having it sent to someone in the US who will forward to you? The tax will be determined by where they live and is not refundable.

Basically, you have to pay what it shows on the site.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
No.  Why would you think you could?

l'm international buyer . new for buy online

The US Ralph Lauren site only ships to US addresses.
When a buddy of mine in Canada had something shipped to me in Washington state, they didn't charge him WA sales tax which kind of surprised me. I think he called in the order though.

Remember that US stores show prices before any taxes.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just went to the Melrose store for the first time a couple of days ago.

I bought the Jorts. They are awesome. I love Alabama football and bourbon. YMMV.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads