1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Jagger_On

Jagger_On Senior member

Not sure what's going on but you've sort of explained my points for me. Your article explains why some people don't like braces to be seen although personally I couldn't care less. I have no issue with people wearing braces without a jacket just that the majority of people who do it don't think it through and can't pull it off. The links you posted are to braces that look within the same range as the RRL ones I own. Don't think I ever said LVC, RRL, etc were the standard just that they were within the standard range. Maybe you just got abnormally thin ones but all the RRL ones I've seen are similar to the ones you posted. Anything outside that range is not the norm and nor does it look good in my opinion whether they're significantly wider or thinner. I get your point about proportion but I'm not convinced its valid here. Those wide ones in that pic of Larry King that you posted yesterday really don't look good to me.

Have you seen the LVC 1878 cut? It's a bit nutty but ties in to what you said above. Apparently it's a replica of one of the first ever pairs of denim with no belt loops or buttons. You can see from that design how people started adding buttons and suspenders to hold up their jeans.

2. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

1 person likes this.
  3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

They don't really look that white to me, or at least what I expect white pants to look like.

4. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

Further, braces were traditionally considered as an undergarment and, as such, considered inappropriate for them to be seen.[3] From their invention until World War II, the waistcoat, or a jumper or cardigan for coolness in summer, covered braces for the sake of dignity. Similarly, jumpers and jackets kept the shirtsleeves hidden. In the inter-war period, however, men began removing jackets in public, and so this sensibility was being eroded over time. It is perhaps only in Britain that a few 'die-hards' still consider it "gauche"[7] to wear (for example) brightly coloured braces or suspenders without jacket. Generally, braces are now considered an acceptable fashion, on both sides of the Atlantic, for men's braces to be seen.

5. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I have a pair of white jeans. I wear them like they are regular denim and I let them get nice and dirty.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  6. grundletaint

Yeah, those are white. I have white slim fits that are white. The chinos just don't strike me as "white." That said, I'd wear them year round unless the heat were a problem.

7. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Those aren't really white in my opinion. They have the color as "natural" which is usually an off white canvas color.

They actually look pretty awesome. I like the weight.

8. Lord Nick

Lord Nick Senior member

9. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

10. jp2k1

jp2k1 Senior member

Def the way to go
    !

11. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

rrl rigid olive herringbones after several wears. nearly perfect, even the buttons are an upgrade from the sewn on variety typically found on selvedge chino. close-up of the weave:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    5 people like this.
  13. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

Damn those look nice. Wish i grabbed a pair

1 person likes this.
  14. grundletaint

I just realized that I engage in a light air humping motion whenever I see the Mendoza jacket.

Want.

1 person likes this.
  15. captainshields

I feel like the product shots of that on the website are horrible.

16. grundletaint

They are. RRL website doesn't do justice to a lot of items considering the details that they put so much time into. I'd like to see them use models to show how they envision some of these things to be worn, too.

There are better pictures out there but the price is sucky sucky.

Much better shots here: http://www.stagaustin.com/brands/rrl/rrl-leather-mendoza-jacket-ss14.html

17. captainshields

Oh ya, wow. Those shots make them look much better.

And ya, I have never understood RRL's approach to the online display of their items.
    They need more photos for each products, better photos, closeups of details, and model shots...doesn't seem like that would be too hard.

18. grundletaint

Definitely. For as much pride as it seems they have in the brand, it really appears like they don't give much of a shit in some respects. Black and white lookbook shots? Oh, pretty much only the suiting at that? Gee, thanks....

19. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

randomkoreandude, I'm curious as to how/why you sized your STF in a similar size as your other denim. I'm seriously considering them but I would likely have to get a 36 when I am probably a 33/34 in regular RRL denim, and that concerns me

20. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

not sure i understand the question. im 28 across the board in all RRL jeans, trousers, etc. i used to be all XS for tops, but have now gotten fatter/sizing has seemed to shifted from previous seasons so im XS/S depending on the item. im a slim 36R

as for the STF's the smallest size they made was 30. they are supposed to shrink 1-2 sizes. but i NEVER get that kind of shrinkage whether they are denim from selfedge, cheap levis STFs or even these. i get maybe 1 size down. i use the hottest water i can and soak for at least 2 hours inside out with a bit of dark wash to keep some of the indigo.

i soaked my STFs last night and they shrank but not to where i want them. they are hang drying right now so will prolly do another hot soak again tonight.

anyway whatever your normal pant size in RRL go up 2. so unlike other brands where the size listed is the size AFTER shrinkage, these are opposite.