• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by el duderino
Had some time to kill today so figured it might be helpful to have fit pics of the slim boot, low straight, and straight leg. All are tagged 30 with 32 actual waist except for the slim boot which measures around 33. You can click on them for larger size.

Slim Bootcut:

Low Straight:

Straight Leg:

nice work...thanks

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by oceansaway
I have both the slim boots and the low straights and I think the slim boots are quite a bit slimmer.

Good info. Thanks.

Originally Posted by el duderino
Had some time to kill today so figured it might be helpful to have fit pics of the slim boot, low straight, and straight leg. All are tagged 30 with 32 actual waist except for the slim boot which measures around 33. You can click on them for larger size.

Slim Bootcut:

Low Straight:

Straight Leg:

Awesome. Thanks for doing this.

King Leer

Reaction score
Cool. Yes I have the same Slim Bootcut Jeans as your top photos, but I tapered them slightly...
Love em though; super comfortable and broke in nicely.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
Ok, I just bought a pair of buckleback RRL's.

The leg opening is 9 inches, and I was wondering if it's possible to have a tailor take it in to 8 inches.

Is this a fairly standard procedure? How much would it cost? Thanks!

Dexter_

Reaction score
Originally Posted by zippyh
I think ghurka == khaki.
Head over to the RL store at Ala Moana. I remember there was a really helpful guy working there who knew quite about about RRL.

Yeah, I need to talk to the resident RRL expert over there. The one I talked to gave me wrong info (told me that the standards were officers and vice versa
plain.gif
plain.gif
). I was able to talk to someone knowledgeable at the Melrose store and gave me the heads up on who to talk to over here.

FWIW, the SA at Melrose mentioned that the officer chinos comes in three colors: Khaki, Ghurka and Black. They also released a limited selvedge version as well.

Motorsport226

Reaction score
So the general consensus on the officer chino is that they're 2 inches bigger than tagged, and they stretch as well? I know this has been asked, sorry, lot of pages to sift through.

Thanks!

oboy_oboy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ghurka is sort of a greenish-khaki. Very nice, but not classic dark sand/khaki color.

yes, they run 2" big in the waist against tagged size. stretch is likely influenced by how tight/loose you wear them. looser=less stretch.

yes, they make a ltd. edition officer in a selvedge, which only comes on one color=darker khaki. sixzing is same, though the fit is affected a little by the difference in fabric weight (ltd. edition is much tighter weave/heavier).

if you search this thread for "limited edition chino" or something like that you'll find great pics from whodini of these, as well as some of the reg. officer chinos (I think).

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Dexter_
Yeah, I need to talk to the resident RRL expert over there. The one I talked to gave me wrong info (told me that the standards were officers and vice versa
plain.gif
plain.gif
). I was able to talk to someone knowledgeable at the Melrose store and gave me the heads up on who to talk to over here.

FWIW, the SA at Melrose mentioned that the officer chinos comes in three colors: Khaki, Ghurka and Black. They also released a limited selvedge version as well.

I think the guy at ala moana RL was Brandon or something like that.

oceansaway

Reaction score
Has anybody had a chance to lay their hands on this season's RRL cargo pants? Here's a photo of the ones I'm referring to. I'm wondering about the fit, whether loose or straight, and the heft of the fabric, whether light or heavy. Thanks.

edubs01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw the cargos at the Prince St store....they are cool...but madd pricey...I think $295....

Motorsport226

Reaction score
So most RRL jeans say that dry cleaning is recommended. Do you really need to? Does machine washing hurt them in any way? How do you guys clean your RRL jeans?

Thanks!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I washed mine in cold water.

They're still very dark, but shrank a bit and fit better around the waist, I bought my actual size and wore them for 6mo before washing.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone help a newbie out with a jean sizing question? I just went to the Ralph Lauren store and tried on some RRL Slim Bootcuts in dark rigid. I wasn't really interested in slim denim, or so I thought. But I really liked the cut of these jeans when I tried them on.

So the question is what proper sizing is. I was able to button all the buttons (without holding my breath or anything), but the fit felt really snug, hugging the thighs and legs (not like the pictures posted by El Duderino, which look looser). I thought I wouldn't be able to sit down, but that was not really too bad, either. So snug, but not crazy tight.

So my question is whether this sounds like the right sizing to accommodate stretching. I'm not really sure where to draw the line on how tight denim should originally fit. I think their being rigid added to the feeling of tightness, and they will loosen up later.

I stupidly did not think to take a fit pic with my phone. Maybe I'll go back and do that later.

These were $220 in store. I guess I am willing to pay that to get a really good pair of denim that fits right. But really, I was won over by the cut - just looks really good. The rest of the denim was $325; I asked the SA why that was, and she did not know. She thought these were current season.

Anyway, thanks for your help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads