1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

Ugh, stories like this make me really hesitant to sell items on ebay. Glad to hear you got your money back from those assholes but it's too bad they got away with it.

Yeah, basically just make sure you ship to the address shown on the transaction page and you're covered.

2. potemkin_city_limits

potemkin_city_limits Senior member

I have a few of these Klaxon Howl watch caps in different colours. I really love the way they fit I just always liked the RRL one as well.

[​IMG]

3. potemkin_city_limits

I finally got the black cat Dixon jacket and they go and release a zip up fleece version. Is it bad that I kinda want to own both?

[​IMG]

4. doctorman

doctorman Senior member

actually it did the opposite for me. i don't want either one now...

5. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior member

Just an FYI for the heck of it I tried their instructions and it looks like you can set shipping options for specific countries, and it will default to that shipping option rather than GSP (for example, Canada). It appeared to work on a listing I just tried it on. GSP will be used for all others. You can do it for up to four countries.

Received several sale items today, terry shawl cardigan, indigo hoodie, and the button tab jeans. The cardigan is nice but will be going back as it has an odd fit. The sleeves are slightly short and slim whereas the waist is cut much more generously. The indigo hoodie appears to be cut a little more generous in the waist than my liking but the fabric is much thicker than expecting and the color is really rich and intricate, much more than the website pics indicate. The button tab jeans fit great, and are made of a thick linen/cotton blend that should go over well during these cold months.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2014
  6. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

I'm interested in putting Priority mail for some countries and EMS for others. It doesn't really matter I guess, Flat rate Priority doesn't get full tracking to most countries and to add insurance/signature it will cost almost as much as a EMS flat rate envelope but EMS is guaranteed and very fast/reliable.

As far as GSP I have no interest in that either, as they want too much money to do very little work and they are not even open to a lot of countries that I deal with.

Are the tab pants the ones with the black denim? Those looked interesting like older Duck pants RRL used to make. Didn't know they were linen I thought they were cotton/acrylic.

7. DJ Quaaludes

DJ Quaaludes Senior member

Yup that's the one. Ahhh I stand corrected, you are right. They are of a cotton/acrylic/poly blend. Very similar in feel to me to a cotton/linen but given the thickness that fabric construction makes sense.

8. clee1982

clee1982 Senior member

I like the zip up fleece version here better

9. potemkin_city_limits

The wool the jacket is made of is pretty damn nice though.

10. captainshields

captainshields Senior member

Yep. Sold before I saw it.
    I have no idea where the demand for these came from...the second I decide I want one the price skyrockets and I can't even find one haha

11. BLAUGRANA

BLAUGRANA Senior member

It's a solid piece. I'd have to compare it to other varsity jackets as regards the wool, The RRL sweaters I've picked up from this past season have been a huge let down though. Fortunately the Dixon jacket lived up to the reputation RRL seems to have here on SF.

12. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

I found a military surplus seller who was selling those "cat 13" patches at some point but said he had to stop for what he claims were copyright reasons. He refused to sell me one! Wonder who made the complaint or if RL had anything to do with it. Any theories?

13. potemkin_city_limits

Thats crazy considering they totally stole the logo from someone else. I have a friend who can make me custom embroidered patches. I should get her to make me a few and list them on ebay and see if anyone from Ralph Lauren contacts me. If you want one let me know.

This is a Ghost Army patch I got made not too long ago. You can read more about the Ghost Army here if you are interested in that type of thing at all http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghost_Army

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

That's a very cool patch and story.

I ended up getting my hands on the Dixon jacket so I don't really need it anymore but thanks for the offer. I'll contact you if I decide to sell it and create my own. I'm debating whether or not to keep it because I don't really wear casual clothing all that much but I love the patch and old fashioned style varsity jacket with buttons instead of snaps.

15. RRL CLOTHING

LOL @ stole. They clearly license those patch logos.

Anyway what's going on with this thread, first some guy suggested putting RRL logos on fake watchcaps, now you guys are trying to buy cat patches and make knock off patches to put on all your crap.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  16. Alcibiades

Alcibiades Senior member

Which sweaters did you pick up? I bought four this season (charcoal and clipper lambswool, black shaker wool cardigan and the black cashmere waffle knit), and all were excellent. I'm looking at some more for the spring...

17. captainshields

How can RRL license those patch logos? Aren't they based directly off of real military patches? (I could be wrong, I just didn't think they created the concept from scratch)

I'm pretty sure anyone is allowed to use old military patches on clothing.

Other stuff they do is used by all kinds of companies like the us navy clothing labels, etc.

Also, I've seen the panther 66th infantry patches used on clothing from at least 5 different companies.

Just curious.

18. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

A while back someone shared a blog that talked about the origin of the cat graphic. It was from a stunt pilot group from the 20's. So maybe someone holds the license to their logo. The author of the post made a version of the jacket himself with the patch.

http://segui-riveted.blogspot.com/2013/10/hollywood-13-black-cats-stunt-pilots.html

Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  19. RRL CLOTHING

Someone designed those patches for the military and I am sure they copyrighted the artwork. RL will have to license them as they are still someone's intellectual property rights.

20. captainshields

But if someone wanted to buy a surplus patch and sew it to a jacket just for themselves, I see no legal issues there.
    This is just in response to the post above that said a surplus seller stopped selling patches due to copyright problems in lieu of RRL using them...which doesn't make any sense to me.

If RRL licensed the design they don't own the rights and really can't tell someone they can't use one of the original patches...