1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. subdivide

subdivide Senior member

May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350.

I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies.

Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

May I offer a dissenting opinion?
    You may.

Of course, you are likely to be shouted down on a thread devoted to RRL love.

3. Lynx_the_one

Lynx_the_one Senior member

May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350.

I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies.

Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.

The raw jeans at 220 are a great value, and a lot of the washes RRL does are really, really nice. I also love the slim boot cut. I think everything other then the made in the USA jeans/cords are rather overpriced.

4. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Given that you guys are likely talking about the massive influx of jeans that hit the Polo outlets in the last 2 weeks, the main difference between the mens and womens jeans in that batch is that the mens jeans have 5 buttons on the fly, and the womens have 4 buttons.

This info was kindly told me by another member, and i examined a bunch of these jeans and it looks like he was right. But ymmv

5. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

...BUT you must also take into account that even some smaller Men's sizes don't have 5 buttons because the waist is small, like a 28 or something. Even APC's are like that and other brands

6. IRONHORSE

IRONHORSE Well-Known Member

To each is own, some folks here sells women jeans for men and vise versa.

7. airportlobby

airportlobby Senior member

What's up with the outrageous prices being charged for RRL items by the eBay seller, Blue Present? I guess it's none of my business, and I don't begrudge someone making a profit, but it seems downright greedy to charge more -- in many cases a lot more -- than the original retail price.

I bet that dude smells like drakkar noir.

8. palma

palma Senior member

Hey guys,

I am thinking about proxying some RRL sweatshirts from Japan. I was wondering what their quality is like (I am guessing they are not loopwheeled?) and the fit. Also, am I better off going with alternate brands like BR or Left Fielf (although the prices are kind of ridiculous). Will also take any other suggestions.

Thanks,

9. oceansaway

oceansaway Senior member

Actually, I prefer Old Spice.

10. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

11. dougie

dougie Senior member

May I offer a dissenting opinion? I made a visit to the Melrose RRL today, and... the prices are ridiculous. Plaid cotton western shirts at $185 to $250. Chambray buttondown $250... chambray workshirt about that price. Red denim jeans are $350. I like the materials, I like the "curated" vintage items that make the store an interesting visit. I think the "experience" of the store is fun. But the prices are over the top, especially for items that are done better by japanese and other designers. I see RRL playing catchup on many pieces, whether they are riffing on vintage western and workwear, or rushing out versions of pieces originally done by smaller companies. Anyway, I don't think RRL stuff warrants the high prices of their retail or ebay.
    You're absolutely right. RRL is at its core a rich man's J Crew. The stuff is overpriced and a lot of it isn't even made in America. But...it's really nice stuff. And I don't mind paying for it. See that site that's linked above: they're selling an idea that I like to buy sometimes. Not all the time, and not for everything, but their goods are generally well made and well marketed and really that's what people respond to. Plus their oxfords are perfect and worth the premium, but maybe that's just me.

12. theRRshop

theRRshop Senior member

Originally Posted by oceansaway :
    What's up with the outrageous prices being charged for RRL items by the eBay seller, Blue Present? I guess it's none of my business, and I don't begrudge someone making a profit, but it seems downright greedy to charge more -- in many cases a lot more -- than the original retail price.

They are really soaking in the ones that eventually buy, they don't sell too much at their prices, but when they do, it makes up for the month. I would never charge such prices as they do, and I would never buy from them even as the collector I am.

13. RRL_Supplier

RRL_Supplier Active Member

Anyone attend the RRL party last night on Melrose?

14. eglbc

eglbc Senior member

as a rrl supplier i assume you did.

15. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

as a rrl supplier i assume you did.
    [​IMG]
    Good one

16. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

On another note, picked up lots of nice Shipyard & American Graffiti pieces at the Polo store, heavy discount; got a $400 sweater for $108, among other pieces...they're getting rid of stuff to make way for new

17. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

On another note, picked up lots of nice Shipyard & American Graffiti pieces at the Polo store, heavy discount; got a $400 sweater for $108, among other pieces...they're getting rid of stuff to make way for new
    Same here, although I had already picked up most what I wanted during the F&F sale. My local RL was around 50% off all the SS10 collections plus an additional 25%. That's the good thing about RRL, they pump out so many collections that it's easy to get their stuff 50% plus discount from MSRP if you can wait.

18. dabaiddash

dabaiddash New Member

do you have any 38 in the waist?

19. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

do you have any 38 in the waist?

If you were asking me because of my signature, no, I don't have 38s, Sorry

But yes, el duderino, patience is a virtue if you're a fan of RRL. You can find pieces at discount if you're patient and don't need them right away...

20. dabaiddash

dabaiddash New Member

that would be. Im looking to purchase rrl denim and that would be really helpful to have reputable ebay sellers list. Im looking for 36 or 38 in the waist rrl denim. Any help would be greatly appreciated.