• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

captainshields

Reaction score
I don't really wear selvedge jeans, but I do like the history behind the process, and I think that it does add value.
If RRL is trying to reduce cost, then the price point should obviously go down as well..right?

I have many pairs of jeans/pants that cost under $100 that I love...and aren't selvedge...so I'm no expert here. Just seems off to me.

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
funny you mentioned D&G jeans... just saw a pair in Nordstrom's that were the quality of Bugle Boy jeans by the touch, but had an interesting distressed look. The cost was a little under $600. My guess was the cost is due to the weathering on the jeans for the worn look and the D&G metal emblem on the back pocket. I checked the seams and they were not selvedge denim at all. I was quite shocked by this actually.
The cost comes from the washing process and the fact they are made in Italy, as well as the designer name. They have no reason to use selvedge denim as their mission to sell an image and not quality.

Most distressed jeans coming out of Italy are at least $500. Even Nudies charge $800 for selvedge jeans distressed in Italy
http://shop.nudiejeans.com/en/product/1107/nudie-lab-32

Balmain jeans (for men and women) are $2k+. Quality isn't great, but it's high fashion that you're paying $$$.

http://www.barneys.com/Balmain-Moto...ault,pd.html?gclid=CJ2rk-j2wLQCFQHonAodcEkA8w

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't really wear selvedge jeans, but I do like the history behind the process, and I think that it does add value.
If RRL is trying to reduce cost, then the price point should obviously go down as well..right?

I have many pairs of jeans/pants that cost under $100 that I love...and aren't selvedge...so I'm no expert here. Just seems off to me.

No, cheapening it allows them to keep the price point the same. RRL seasonal washes have been $360 for the past 2+ years. Maintaining vintage looms requires expert attention at all times, oiling and maintaining the machines constantly, more wasted materials, the denim is significantly more expensive and that gets passed down to the consumer.

In the future I assume most of RRL will be OE seams made in China/USA and 1 or 2 selvedge raw core items made in the USA may/may not be *** denim.

People want quality and selvedge but don't pay money for it, and wait for 50-70% off sale to buy jeans at $100-150. What do you expect RL to do? It's a tough market out there in fashion land!

Polo makes more profit with their crappy jeans, it's just not feasible for RL to continue making RRL jeans the way they made them in the past. It's either they cheapen RRL across the board, or they discontinue it like Rugby.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The cost comes from the washing process and the fact they are made in Italy, as well as the designer name. They have no reason to use selvedge denim as their mission to sell an image and not quality.

Most distressed jeans coming out of Italy are at least $500. Even Nudies charge $800 for selvedge jeans distressed in Italy
http://shop.nudiejeans.com/en/product/1107/nudie-lab-32

Balmain jeans (for men and women) are $2k+. Quality isn't great, but it's high fashion that you're paying $$$.

http://www.barneys.com/Balmain-Moto...ault,pd.html?gclid=CJ2rk-j2wLQCFQHonAodcEkA8w
If they are "D&G" rather than Dolce & Gabbana line jeans, I would be surprised to find that they are actually being made in Italy. I would think they are probably made in China. The "Made in Italy" label still allows me to understand at least some minuscule portion of the astronomical prices certain designers charge, though I am sure this is becoming increasingly irrational, given that much of what you are seeing it made 90% or so in China and just finished up in Italy. I guess the fact of the matter is that RRL shows that plenty of high quality items can be made in China or anywhere else.

Nevertheless, it annoys and bothers me (just because I am grumpy by nature, I guess, and I remember when this wasn't the case) to see that brands that used to make all their goods in Italy (England, France, the U.S., etc.) have switched over to China but without any change in price. I used to love John Varvatos jeans back when they were made in Italy. Now they look nice but fall apart fast.

ExhibitA

Reaction score
In other RRL news... I bought another shawl cardigan. It's in a size L, though the one I purchased a few days ago was XL. I'm hoping a L isn't too tight. If it is may sell it on here. Plaited Shawel - Collar Cardigan

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I think it has been confirmed that the RRL Ridgeway Roper boots were made by Rios of Mercedes.

But what about the current version of the Murdock Engineer boots?

On the RL site it just says that they're made in Texas. So ,it might also be Rios of Mercedes.
Or, as has been speculated, by Cobra Rock Boot Company http://cobrarock.com .

Does anyone know for sure?

captainshields

Reaction score
Just bought one of the RRL suspenders/braces. First one I've ever had.

Curious what your guys recommendations would be for the best RRL pants to wear with them as I don't have any pants they will work with. haha

Thanks!

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think it has been confirmed that the RRL Ridgeway Roper boots were made by Rios of Mercedes. But what about the current version of the Murdock Engineer boots? On the RL site it just says that they're made in Texas. So ,it might also be Rios of Mercedes. Or, as has been speculated, by Cobra Rock Boot Company http://cobrarock.com . Does anyone know for sure?
The Murdocks are made by Rios

harveyrabbit

Reaction score

Just bought one of the RRL suspenders/braces. First one I've ever had.

Curious what your guys recommendations would be for the best RRL pants to wear with them as I don't have any pants they will work with. haha

Thanks!

Which suspenders?

I really like these deadstock pants and they do have suspender buttons. It would depend on your suspenders whether or not they are the "best".

captainshields

Reaction score
Which suspenders?
I really like these deadstock pants and they do have suspender buttons. It would depend on your suspenders whether or not they are the "best".

It's the Maguire Brace. The blue one with the anchor tooled leather and braids.

I have had my eyes on those deadstock pants!

I guess just curious what pants you guys wear with your suspenders.

Last edited:

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the Maguire Brace. The blue one with the anchor tooled leather and braids.

I have had my eyes on those deadstock pants!

I guess just curious what pants you guys where with your suspenders.

just a matter of matching the braces to the rest of your ensemble. Don't think too hard about it is the best advice.

kmdsimpson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does ayynone have the Striped merchant vessel pants? Do they fit true to size?
I've actually never bought a pair of RRL pants.

These are the ones I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NWT-Ralph-L...856876?pt=US_CSA_MC_Jeans&hash=item337ecf73ac

He has waist measurement on the listing, and it looks like they are true to size.

Also, this seller is an SF member. Stu00a. You should contact him here before buying. Check out his sig in this post:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/120192/the-official-rrl-thread/12975#post_5990194

Last edited:

captainshields

Reaction score
He has waist measurement on the listing, and it looks like they are true to size.
Also, this seller is an SF member. Stu00a. You should contact him here before buying. Check out his sig in this post:
http://www.styleforum.net/t/120192/the-official-rrl-thread/12975#post_5990194

Thanks.
I've seen several listings all with different measurements for the 29" waist...that's why I was a little confused.
Glad he's a member!
I live close to him if his location on ebay is right

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads