• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mcqueen

Reaction score
Has anyone picked up the Naval Wool Shawl Overshirt? Any comments on the fit?

harveyrabbit

Reaction score

Currently my go to comfort piece when I get home. Great weight, fit (1 size smaller) and color (go with everything) I also really love the blue cutoff sweatpants from the spring collection.

Another vote to get therm from me.

I agree, the sweatpants are great. Although in this instance, sizing down is probably a good idea.

I missed out on the pants from the Spring collection. Bummed about that. Did you size down in those as well?

Trimalchio

Reaction score
How do the Buckle-Backs compare to the regular Straight Leg fit jeans? Size up, down, the same?

Trimalchio

Reaction score
Medium straight is a new fit which has the rise of straight leg with same overall fit as the Low Straight. Good for those who wear shirts tucked in. Also they are switching to Cone denim
Everything about this jean looks to me like a Low Straight that has been mislabeled. The pocket stiching, the lack of back pocket rivets (that did exist on the Low Straights a few years ago), the double reinforced stiching on the fly attachment.

I am surprised though that they are using a lighter weight denim (12.5 oz) and switching another (non-Japanese) supplier. And by surprised I might somewhat disappointed...

el duderino

Reaction score

I am surprised though that they are using a lighter weight denim (12.5 oz) and switching another (non-Japanese) supplier. And by surprised I might somewhat disappointed... 

Lower weight denim is only due to the fact these are for SS13. Not too thrilled about the switch to Cone either but they are supposed to be custom fabrics and not the same used by every other brand using Cone

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Lower weight denim is only due to the fact these are for SS13. Not too thrilled about the switch to Cone either but they are supposed to be custom fabrics and not the same used by every other brand using Cone

They going to be using Cone for all denim?!

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
sucks. goodbye rrl. another line of ******** soft formless repro denim.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone explain what is so bad about Cone?

I have a pair of Rugby Cone denim, made in USA - North Carolina, I believe. They seem to be great, about a year of normal use and they seem to be great to me still. They are still Rigid, keeping a good shape, and some nice pine cones (which I enjoy) around the knees.

The pair of jeans in question: http://www.selectism.com/2010/08/20/rugby-slim-denim-with-necktie/

A nice little parcel arrived this afternoon at our office in Boston. The folks at Rugby sent over this package containing a limited edition pair of U.S.A. made selvedge slim denim with matching a (Italian made) necktie. The denim is produced domestically at “Cone Denim’s White Oak Plant, one of the oldest denim mills in the United States.” 100 pairs of the denim were produced and “rendered in ultra-dark indigo-wash.” The necktie comes in a mid width silk finish with a proper skull hit (the same hit is found on the matching patch on the denim. They toss in a “Rule of the Game” stylebook to remind us of how gents should be. Well done overall.

Last edited:

RobearH

Reaction score
I agree, the sweatpants are great. Although in this instance, sizing down is probably a good idea.
I missed out on the pants from the Spring collection. Bummed about that. Did you size down in those as well?
I did but I generally size down with all sweatpants and pajama bottoms.

planetarium

Reaction score
There's nothing bad about Cone's denim, it's just that almost every "Americana" brand to pop up in the last 4 years is sourcing denim from them, mostly from their normal stock and not custom made fabrics despite what the descriptions may have you believe.

Trimalchio

Reaction score
Nothing against Cone specifically either. But what I think makes RRL special is the combo of Japanese denim at the same level as the big boys plus classic American styling and manufacturing (in LA). I'm not hating on the Cone. Yet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads