• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah, the stitch is quite small...would leave many little holes outlining the shape I believe. Although when I told the sales rep I didn't like the stitching he told me their tailor could remove it...

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

yeah, the stitch is quite small...would leave many little holes outlining the shape I believe. Although when I told the sales rep I didn't like the stitching he told me their tailor could remove it...

I removed the back pocket stitching of my 1st pair of low straights. It left a faint impression where the stitching had been, this got fainter with time. On my 2nd pair, most of the stitching eventually wore away anyway - looks pretty good imo. I can't see holes left from the stitching on either pair so don't worry about that.

sazon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I removed the back pocket stitching of my 1st pair of low straights. It left a faint impression where the stitching had been, this got fainter with time. On my 2nd pair, most of the stitching eventually wore away anyway - looks pretty good imo. I can't see holes left from the stitching on either pair so don't worry about that.

Thanks! If you get a chance, can you post some pix of what that looks like? Would appreciate that.

hoit1981

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks! If you get a chance, can you post some pix of what that looks like? Would appreciate that.

Sure:

This is my 2nd pair of Low S's, I no longer have my original pair with the back pocket stitching removed. They are about 2 years old. I wore them hard for the 1st year but have been breaking in some Momotaro's since. There was a 30min cold wash after about 3 months, then a few more cold 30min washes after that. I would say that about 50% of the back pocket stitching has fallen away. Sorry if the pics aren't amazingly clear. I was worried about the prominence of the stitching when I started wearing these, but over time it fades and isn't nearly so obvious.

Denim

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your advice gents. I went to the RRL shop on West Broadway in NYC and tried on many models. The Low Straight ended up being my fave. I went TTS.
The 33 probably would have stretched in the waist over time to fit me, but I remembered the advice on the tightness of the thighs. The thighs were indeed tight and I didn't want to take any chances with that so I walked out with the 34.
Denny, the sales rep, was excellent. Polite, helpful, good listener to what I wanted.
Not crazy about that back pocket stitching but I guess I can live with it. Anyone ever take theirs out? I'm afraid it would leave ugly marks.
i took the stitching off of my low straights, they leave NO marks at all.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone describe the difference between the once washed and the rigid denim? There is no RRL store in Philly. Also, how long do these run. I like to be able to have some turn-up but not excessive. I'm 6'1 and I sometimes wear a 32 length and sometimes a 34.

Any help is appreciated.

Opermann

Reaction score
Patek, the rigids are just that: rigid. Very stiff denim, unwashed, like when they come off the sewing machine. Get these if you want to do a full break-in and fade. One washed (or rinsed) are dark but washed so they can be worn immediately and look good, also the dark color may last a bit longer. They are not so stiff off the shelf. I have a pair about a year old and they haven't faded too much, even after a trip to the dry cleaners. They are starting to fade more and more though.

Also rrls come in both 32 and 34 inseams.

Last edited:

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah, seam ripper's all you need. They're really cheap and worth having around (for removing basting stitches on jackets, especially). Otherwise, you can do it with a knife, which will just be tedious.

Patek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patek, the rigids are just that: rigid. Very stiff denim, unwashed, like when they come off the sewing machine. Get these if you want to do a full break-in and fade. One washed (or rinsed) are dark but washed so they can be worn immediately and look good, also the dark color may last a bit longer. They are not so stiff off the shelf. I have a pair about a year old and they haven't faded too much, even after a trip to the dry cleaners. They are starting to fade more and more though.
Also rrls come in both 32 and 34 inseams.

Got ya. I thought the "rigid" was a color. I do like my jeans stiff when I first buy them.

I realize that they come in different lengths, I'm just loathe to order a pair of each simply to return the other one. Oh well.

Do these go on sale in the RL semi-annual?

mfbnyc

Reaction score
Here you go. What do you make of this? An co-brand collab perhaps...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DOUBLE-RL-R...1977328818661082114&pid=100033&prg=1011&rk=1&
Ralph introduced the use of "Double RL" on his "Country" line of clothes in the early 90s. That's where this comes from - I would date this as '91-'92. I worked for Ralph '90-'93 at a store that had a separate "Country Store" where this line was featured - jeans, "roughwear" they called it, Navajo jackets, etc. RRL as a line was introduced in '93 and effectively replaced the "Country" label.

Franky Paige

Reaction score
Did you get the jeans at the w. broadway shop? If so they'll take it out for free.

Sym

Reaction score

Depending on the duration between when you ordered and when they marked down, they will adjust. Just call them and ask and maybe push gently. They did it for me as part of this recent sale because the markdowns happened about 10 hours after I had placed my order. 

Thanks for the tip Trimalchio.

If anyone from Toronto is interested Harry Rosen on Bloor has this. Good quality, soft wool, nice fit, but not my style.

I regret passing on the Peacoat last year when it was on sale. Has anyone seen the new one? How's the quality/fit? Made in China?

I am thinking about the cotton hooded jacket but fear it might be too short for me. Has anyone handled it yet?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads