The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

The typical Style Forum discount is 75% - 95% off. Only then can you buy so use that as a guideline. Just tell the dude that you are the market and will pay only what the market pays.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Alright, I'm gonna try to help with a serious answer. There's obviously no rule of thumb. But based on my very limited (especially compared to some guys here) selling on ebay, trust me when I say that sellers get all kinds of ridiculous offers all the time. If you throw in something crazy low to an experienced seller (you can tell who they are), they are just going to dismiss it out of hand, and might decide not to deal with you at all when you come back with reasonable offers.

I think in most cases both parties have a pretty good idea what market value is, and often the buyer can even guess about what the seller probably paid. You're not going to talk someone down 50%, unless you know they've overpriced so much or are desperate. So put out maybe a tad lower than you think you'd pay. And keep on eye on things to see how long it's been listed and whether there are other items available.

Of course, if you're talking collector's items, it's a whole different deal.

Sorry this is a little vague, but there are no concrete rules, and you just have to use your head.

Also, the 10% discount cited above means that you're asking the seller to complete the transaction outside ebay, which violates ebay policy. Some sellers may not be willing to do that.

3. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

Yes, you really don't sell much on ebay.

4. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

nice smartass. Do you know what the word "some" means?

5. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Can I get ##% off some del toro slippers? I am assuming based off your name you work there or are a sales assistant or something.

If yes then :worship:

Also I often ask the seller for a discount or to avoid fees and pay outside of ebay. I know its 'wrong' but who can blame me or them for trying? Its happened more than once where I end up saving at least 7%, depending on the item price.

6. RobearH

RobearH Senior member

Why are all your posts of a condescending nature? I read quite a few of your recent posts and the only one that wasn't was were you were looking for some XS shirts.....is it maybe a little Napoleon on the web thing?

7. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I didn't mean to make it sound judgmental. Just trying to put all the info out there for the guy.

8. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

No, I don't. Just like the name.

9. gnu

gnu Senior member

Thanks for the answers on the ebay thing. I was just wondering because I was debating picking up some Murdocks and the seller is listing them at 999, and I was wondering if it would be worth it to see if they would go for 850 (or maybe less) since thats the retail price. Oh well. Thanks for the help. I'll just keep waiting, every once and a while someone dumps some boots on there for under retail. There's a pair of 12s on there now but unfortunately they are to big.

10. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

I wouldn't think 850 is an insulting offer in this case. I was thinking of people who would throw in an offer for 500, for example. You might get a counter at that price.

11. RobearH

RobearH Senior member

In my opinion there is no insulting offer to buy. It is just that, an offer and where the negotiations begin. To me it's simply a starting point in the sales process. If someone is immediately insulted by a lowball offer then sales may not be their forte'.

12. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

Lol. I can't wait for you to sell something.

Generally, people post a price because THAT IS WHAT THEY ARE ASKING. It's not as if they think to themselves, I will post this at a grand and entertain offers at $850? If they wanted $850 THEY WOULD ASK THAT.

13. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

You have no idea what you are talking about. I've purchased several times making offers. Stop being such a dick to everybody here.

14. RobearH

RobearH Senior member

I doubt you even sure what you are thinking much less what anyone else is!

15. Del-Toro

Del-Toro Senior member

I'll give you $13 for your RRL jeans? Pretty Please? I would wear them LOTS!