Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

The general consensus is that the cashmere pills.

2. King Leer

King Leer Senior member

Indeed it does. The wool or cotton sweaters are better in that regard IMO.

3. hoit1981

hoit1981 Senior member

Balls. The chunky cashmere doesn't make a difference at all? Where are these made?

4. RobearH

RobearH Senior member

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012

5. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

I don't think they're marking up intentionally. The MSRP is based off a production cost percentage. Just because something doesn't sell online doesn't mean it's not a nice item or flying off shelves somewhere like at the Hamptons or Melrose store where dropping $1k on 2 sweaters is nothing for folks that live there or to a celebs living in Beverly Hills who will pay $2400 for the '40s leather jacket and won't think twice about it. Their stores are usually situated in wealthy and/or highly populated areas where target demographic tend to think the prices are fair. There needs to be a certain percentage of sales at MSRP or else they will not keep producing these expensive pieces from year to year.

The people shopping RRL online are the same people who know about forums, ebay and outlets and share information about discounts and upcoming sales and are not willing to shell out MSRP for most items. Also most people who shop Polo.com have never heard of RRL if they're living in the 40+ states that don't have any stores that carry RRL those people will not suddenly become captivated and start spending extra money on a label they've never heard of while people who know about RRL or live near an RRL carrying store will stop by there and spend their money in store whenever possible and work with a SA and try stuff on and enjoy themselves. The only time I would buy online is if the store didn't have my size, but RRL is pretty good at locating stuff and working hard for customers.

I believe the online store is doing RRL more harm than good. It's off putting to see tons of nice past-season workshirts going for $59-79 when they're trying to sell you new workshirts for $185+, these things need to hit outlets already and disappear from their RRL stores and website.

Bottom line is the majority of their sales come from B&M stores where they sell you on the brand image through the visceral shopping experience. People miss out a lot shopping online and just aren't willing to spend their money on this stuff especially when it's such a huge PITA to even browse the site. The fact they haven't addressed the issues with the site and probably have no intentions to make it work correctly shows they really are in over their head with the online department or just don't care. Maybe in the years to come they will shut it down or work out the problems and advertise it more and maybe it will become a huge success one day. Also if they opened up shipping to Asia i'm sure most of their items would sell out quickly so maybe worldwide shipping is the next feasible step.

6. surfingmonkey815

surfingmonkey815 Active Member

Cavet, you might want to go small, depending on how you like your sweaters to fit. I like mine trim so I stuck with a medium. If it helps, I've got 42-44 shoulders and a 32 waist in a suit. Cashmere is also Chinese (on mine), not that there is anything terribly wrong with that, and a pretty short fiber. So compared to something like Marc Jacobs mainline sweater, its not that great, but at a decent price it is a great kick around-ish kind of sweater.

7. RobearH

RobearH Senior member

I live close to Dallas Ralph Lauren/RRL store and have dedicated SA there. I would not buy it from her at retail no more then she does for her own husband. Just because really rich people can drop large coin on luxury goods does prove that this line starts at a fair retail price unless that retail is what most of the merchandise is selling at....which I doubt (though I have no proof). It was however further evidenced by the fact that almost every item in last seasons collection was still available online (which the SA's can also sell from) tells me that a preponderance of consumers think the retail $$$ is a little out of line. Let's not forget in these times everyone expects a deal and retailers know it.

Not knocking the product (I own plenty) I was just stating an opinion shared by others including some RL employees and members here. I think because this is what "Ralph" wears may also have something to do with pricing. JMO of course and I will still continue to be consumed by my quest for more....just not at retail!
    [​IMG]

8. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Interesting you say this, because I was wondering about the seemingly large inventory online that is on sale. Have things have slowed down lately, or is this normal end of season, and we're just seeing it all in one place now? It sure gives the impression that things aren't selling.

9. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

That would depend on the amount of times they restock. What you perceive as still available online could have been restocked several times and has sold very well over the season. The website lists a maximum of "9" items per size though the warehouse could have dozens of shirts or jeans available in any one given model/size. Perhaps someone else can shed some more light on order fulfillment.

On a side note congrats to SILVIOB who has reached 10,000+ fb today consistently offering the lowest prices and most abundant supply of RRL over the last 5 years. Makes me wonder how he can sell 500+ items a month and continually restock with new items when there are so many restrictions on bulk PSR purchases. He must have several friends/relatives/employees or insiders helping him out at this point. But, managers at outlets are the worst and pay a lot of attention to return customers, they'll try to black-list and hassle anyone who they even remotely think is a reseller.

10. JChance

JChance Senior member

Perhaps he's a manager himself or at least an employee...

On another note (getting side-tracked here), how come Ralph Lauren Denim and Supply (the Macy's line) sell so well on ebay?

11. el duderino

el duderino Senior member

The inventory online reflects maybe 30% of the collections, maybe even less. And the online store can be misleading, it's not like the stock is high on the sale or even new items. The quantity drop down aren't accurate so while you may see choices for 9 quantity, there may be only 1 of the item left in stock.

12. palma

palma Senior member

What is the weight like on these? Made in China makes me worry given my past experience with Chinese cashmere, but I guess you can't complain with a price like that. I am looking for a particularly heavy ribbed cashmere shawl collar cardi and was considering this. J Crew had one last year that MII, but it was only released in limited quantities and my size sold out long before I could get to them. Any other recommedations for such a sweater?

Thanks,

13. tv2177

tv2177 Senior member

this is so sweet. if they go 50% off I will pick it up

14. Stillmaticbeat

Stillmaticbeat Senior member

agreed

15. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

D&S is the new 'Polo Jeans' - its doing well because its relatively cheap - made by ralph lauren - and pleases a crowd that is interested in the western/country motifs that ralph loves. Its all very cheaply made, even the denim is meh - but look wise i can see how it appeals to certain people

Last edited: Feb 25, 2012