• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

srgprod

Reaction score
The problem with all this is that these folks are setting the prices for all the other sellers who now have expectations of reaping similar returns.

I'd rather buy from RL directly.

Well I became acquainted with one seller who started selling me things I requested over email - I'd tell her to find me 'yadda yadda yadda' and she'd do her best to look for it, but also showed me things she found she'd think I'd be interested in in case I wanted to buy. She told me where she lives the Factory Stores, and the Department stores get alot of overstock and sale items from Rugby RL and some times RRL. I think this might be the casefor marci, ladyhawk and a few others.
Conch sells a tie-pin that costs $10 on Rugby.com for over $40 on eBay. He probably doesn't even have them in stock, just waiting for it to be bought then he'll go buy it from the website/store and send it. Funny thing is he actually does sell about 2-3 products per day at 2-4 times the price of the product - probably because he provides international shipping.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ralph-Lauren-Big-Pony-Polo-Cologne-Spray-Perfume-Set-4-/200519490411?pt=fragrance&hash=item2eafe49b6b#ht_1326wt_1144

He sold 4 of these for $100 total, it costs about $12 x 4 = $48 for the whole set of 4.
Blue_Present sells a lot as well, but his big ticket items don't really do that well. Its also probably very niche to international buyers.
Last time I spoke with someone at RL (corporate/supply chain) they told me that in the next few years International expansion was their main concern, priority in Asia around Korea, Japan, and China/Hong Kong. All conch and Blue will have left is old styles that people may be interested in overseas, at the best - and right now Blue has styles he is only just listing that are 2+yrs old.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
looking to unload my stuff, i just discounted everything. will add the following new items soon, just havent had the chance to take proper pics and measurements.

left to right:
western style chambray with pearl snap buttons icon core, S and M
red plaid button up from winter collection, L
blue denim chambray from grand canyon collection, M
north bend collection hooded jacket, M and L (although i may keep the M)

also:
low straight raw 30 x 32
slim fit raw 29 x 32

IMAG0391-1.jpg

IMAG0393-1.jpg

Last edited:

RRL CLOTHING

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
RRL doesn't go out of style, especially the core items, like chinos, jeans, westerns, flannels, oxfords, etc. Listing up 2 year old deadstock has some advantages too. There are people still searching for things they have not been able to find the first time around and since ebay is typically flooded with recent past season items, having 2 or 3 year old pieces nobody else has is beneficial. New people getting into RRL do not know which collection belongs to which season and have no idea if they are buying old or new styles of RRL unless they have extensive knowledge of past collections or know somebody who does.

RRL expanding through Asia will only drive up sales on ebay, since more people will get into the label and exposure will grow, Asians will go looking for it online wherever they can find it. Rakuten's RRL prices are astronomical, ebay has a lot of growth potential. By the time RRL expands throughout Asia and Europe, sellers like BP would have already become millionaires. They are filling a niche that will not be around forever, but long enough that they can make a killing.

Also most of these sellers do not focus on RRL. They primarily deal with Polo, and only have a few hundred RRL items for sale. They have thousands of Polo items listed which composes the majority of their sales. Polo seems to have great demand in the US and worldwide and will still gain more momentum in the years to come. Also for the low prices these items are found at outlets, it will always be easy to liquidate their hoard for the amount they paid for it, so there is virtually no risk involved.

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

RRL doesn't go out of style, especially the core items, like chinos, jeans, westerns, flannels, oxfords, etc.  Listing up 2 year old deadstock has some advantages too. There are people still searching for things they have not been able to find the first time around and since ebay is typically flooded with recent past season items, having 2 or 3 year old pieces nobody else has is beneficial. New people getting into RRL do not know which collection belongs to which season and have no idea if they are buying old or new styles of RRL unless they have extensive knowledge of past collections or know somebody who does.

RRL expanding through Asia will only drive up sales on ebay, since more people will get into the label and exposure will grow, Asians will go looking for it online wherever they can find it. Rakuten's RRL prices are astronomical, ebay has a lot of growth potential. By the time RRL expands throughout Asia and Europe, sellers like BP would have already become millionaires. They are filling a niche that will not be around forever, but long enough that they can make a killing.

Also most of these sellers do not focus on RRL. They primarily deal with Polo, and only have a few hundred RRL items for sale. They have thousands of Polo items listed which composes the majority of their sales. Polo seems to have great demand in the US and worldwide and will still gain more momentum in the years to come. Also for the low prices these items are found at outlets, it will always be easy to liquidate their hoard for the amount they paid for it, so there is virtually no risk involved.

You are correct Blue_Present mostly makes his money of Polo.

I don't know if I agree that RRL appearing officially in Asia will drive prices up, it depends on how RL stocks their items in Asia...on one hand they could make things a bit more exclusive.

Also in terms of expansion, they won't expand RRL until Polo RL has been grounded there first.

Last edited:

grundletaint

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

looking to unload my stuff, i just discounted everything. will add the following new items soon, just havent had the chance to take proper pics and measurements.

left to right:
western style chambray with pearl snap buttons icon core, S and M
red plaid button up from winter collection, L
blue denim chambray from grand canyon collection, M
north bend collection hooded jacket, M and L (although i may keep the M)

also:
low straight raw 30 x 32
slim fit raw 29 x 32

IMAG0391-1.jpg

IMAG0393-1.jpg

I may wanna get my junk up in that red flannel. Hoodie, too, perchance.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've often wondered why RRL hasnt made its way to Japan yet with all the reselling going on.

You are correct Blue_Present mostly makes his money of Polo.
I don't know if I agree that RRL appearing officially in Asia will drive prices up, it depends on how RL stocks their items in Asia...on one hand they could make things a bit more exclusive.
Also in terms of expansion, they won't expand RRL until Polo RL has been grounded there first.

let me know!

I may wanna get my junk up in that red flannel. Hoodie, too, perchance.

corneliusparky

Reaction score
Deez, is the sizing on the slim fit raws the same as the rest of the slim fits? I have the grey slim fits. Or do rigids stretch out less? What's the pricing...I can't find the listing on the 29X32s ?

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Sweater is dope, love how every block is different in detail

It is. Some dude at work today told me he wished he could pull that wear that kind of sweater. Ill take that as a compliment :slayer:

Last edited:

avera

Reaction score
I was in Tokyo last summer and went to the store in Harajuku. It had a few RRL pieces. One of the sales people told me that it's because Japanese customers will only buy RRL if it was purchased in the US (regardless of where the item was actually made). There are a number of little boutiques around Tokyo that carry RRL items that were purchased in the US and brought back for resale.

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was in Tokyo last summer and went to the store in Harajuku.  It had a few RRL pieces.  One of the sales people told me that it's because Japanese customers will only buy RRL if it was purchased in the US (regardless of where the item was actually made). There are a number of little boutiques around Tokyo that carry RRL items that were purchased in the US and brought back for resale. 

I was last there this past spring and there was a whole section of the store dedicated to RRL, might have even been bigger than the RRL shop on Prince St.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Deez, is the sizing on the slim fit raws the same as the rest of the slim fits? I have the grey slim fits. Or do rigids stretch out less? What's the pricing...I can't find the listing on the 29X32s ?

measurements are up!

Saturdays

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Theres an RRL shop in the Ralph Lauren store in Harajuku

I was in Tokyo last summer and went to the store in Harajuku.  It had a few RRL pieces.  One of the sales people told me that it's because Japanese customers will only buy RRL if it was purchased in the US (regardless of where the item was actually made). There are a number of little boutiques around Tokyo that carry RRL items that were purchased in the US and brought back for resale. 

Haven't made my way to that part of the world, but I hear its amazing. I do remember reading about that being there, and do know there are a few boutiques and websites that are based in Japan as well where the owners get there RRL from USA.

I wonder what's the appeal of RRL to people in Asia, personally for me its the appeal of old america, heritage etc... for them I don't quite understand it, but would love to know

Dave_SFU

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Haven't made my way to that part of the world, but I hear its amazing. I do remember reading about that being there, and do know there are a few boutiques and websites that are based in Japan as well where the owners get there RRL from USA.
I wonder what's the appeal of RRL to people in Asia, personally for me its the appeal of old america, heritage etc... for them I don't quite understand it, but would love to know

The resale shops there are amazing. The Supreme store in Harajuku is on the 2nd floor of a building. The first floor of the same building was a resale shop that had some of the same Supreme jackets for 3 times as much as the store above.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads