• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got one of the RRL dress shirts on eBay. Fit is really really nice with the sizing up of 1.

elwood49

Reaction score

I own the oilcloth hunting jacket and think its great. I explained why a few pages back but basically it's a more modern cut than a Barbour Bedale (which I think is the model of inspiration for RRL). I have owned both the Bedale and New Utility and while I liked them, couldn't help but think I belonged on a farm in Staffordshire, riding around in Jodhpurs on horseback trying to slaughter foxes. I don't get that feeling with the RRL.

I keep going back and forth on whether to order the Bedale on the JCrew sale or get the RRL Hunting jacket on this sale. The RRL sale ends tonight, so need to decide soon. I know that the RRL will fit me better in a large and I can't decide on the sizing for the Bedale. Would a 42 Barbour match up to an RRL large?

I want the RRL more, but it's $170 extra.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I own the oilcloth hunting jacket and think its great. I explained why a few pages back but basically it's a more modern cut than a Barbour Bedale (which I think is the model of inspiration for RRL). I have owned both the Bedale and New Utility and while I liked them, couldn't help but think I belonged on a farm in Staffordshire, riding around in Jodhpurs on horseback trying to slaughter foxes. I don't get that feeling with the RRL.

I keep going back and forth on whether to order the Bedale on the JCrew sale or get the RRL Hunting jacket on this sale. The RRL sale ends tonight, so need to decide soon. I know that the RRL will fit me better in a large and I can't decide on the sizing for the Bedale. Would a 42 Barbour match up to an RRL large?

I want the RRL more, but it's $170 extra.

You could always order both and return one. Ralph online returns are free.

But consider this. The supply of that particular RRL jacket is finite. Large is the last size they have listed online.
Sure, there's probably some floating around the stores but you'll need a salesperson to track one down for you.

The supply of Barbour Bedales, even at 25% off, is approaching infinity.

elwood49

Reaction score

You could always order both and return one. Ralph online returns are free.
But consider this. The supply of that particular RRL jacket is finite. Large is the last size they have listed online.
Sure, there's probably some floating around the stores but you'll need a salesperson to track one down for you.
The supply of Barbour Bedales, even at 25% off, is approaching infinity.

Good advice and exactly what I was looking for. I ordered the RRL.

Damn, I dropped $1,800 on this sale and that's AFTER returning the Marlow wingtips.

Trimalchio

Reaction score
I ordered a pair of the Brown Low Straights that are on sale on the polo.com website. They arrived and I noticed that they are slimmer than my usual Low Straights (I have several pairs). The pockets also look a little smaller.

Is that possible? Does that normally happen?

Opermann

Reaction score

yes the sale includes pretty much all washes but not raws or the new black on blacks

this is the RRL peacoat that i got like 2 weeks ago from that VIP sale for 50% off. i upgraded from my size 34 or 32 sterlingwear, which i had to size down to get the fit i wanted but this made my sleeves and overall length short. this RRL feels much thicker and substantial and actually too thick and rigid since its never been worn

sorry the pics are dark but you can at least see how it fits. im wearing the RRL charcoal chambray shirt underneath the peacoat, both are size XS, im a size 36R, and have room for a thin cardi/sweater.

DSC03393.jpg

I have this peacoat and love it. It's much better than the RL Academy version in that it's modeled after older WWII peacoats that used thick kersey wool specifically designed to repel high winds and water when on the deck of a ship. The military later switched to melton wool, which is what you normally see in vintage stores today and while nice, it isn't as wind/water resistant due to its looser weave. The RRL repro kersey wool is thicker and effectively repels Chicago winter winds that tear through my other wool coats. It doesn't drape as well as finer wool due to its stiffness, but for wind/rain/snow resistance it's like woolen armor.  Layered with a sweater I've never owned anything warmer.

tv2177

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that peacoat is very nice, get to try them on in store this weekend. only thing i m sad at is that my pocket is not deep enough to pull the trigger.

aaaeeeiiiooouuu

Reaction score
Does the peacoat have a gigantic embroidery on the interior? I remember the RRL one from FW08 did, and it was sick

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads