Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

RL Full price stores don't make that much of profits, outlets are highly profitable.

From what I know, they keep their high-end labels to keep their brand up high.

I heard their mansion is the biggest money loser, humongous rent even though they had a chance to buy that building years ago.
    and outlets are covering that costs.

2. james_timothy

james_timothy Senior member

RL's biggest revenues come from their wholesale side, selling to other stores. Think: Chaps, American Living, Polo.

They have > 4000 sites that sell RL products in the US and Canada alone; there are only ~200 RL outlet stores in the world.

The RL juggernaut is probably funded by their polo shirts, not by the outlet stores.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

3. Ghost01

Ghost01 Senior member

I agree with james_timothy - i think the wholesale market is driving their business at the moment. You are also thinking too locally. Ralph Lauren is huge in Europe at the moment and the potential for the Asian market is massive. RL has been buying back the license for that territory over the past few years.

All Ralph Lauren stores are fantastically put together, especially the RRL stores. They create the perfect environment for the brand and are essentially the companies advertising. They create the image and desire to allow for 'Bobby' in Kentucky of 'Pierre' in Zurich to want to look like American Gentry (in the case of Polo) or a Frontier Gold Miner (in the case of RRL).

4. otc

otc Senior member

I'm sure its mostly out of what they sell in department stores and the like.

I didn't think things like Chaps and Lauren by Ralph Lauren were actually made by them--I thought they just licensed the name.

When you walk into a macys, you can buy that stuff, but there is also plenty of blue label Polo stuff on the shelves...I just always wonder why macy's never has any damn custom-fit shirts (since usually their prices are way better than the RL store).

Things like RRL are a labor of love...they probably don't make any money considering how much of it has to get dumped at outlets for nothing (and I know it goes for nothing based on the ebay prices) but it keeps up interest in the brand.

Dunno about rugby...that has potential to make money as well.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011

5. randomkoreandude

randomkoreandude Senior member

has anyone tried to get an even exchange for a RRL product that was purchased from ebay or from the outlets or even barneys? obviously it has to be a current season item and tags intact/attached ...

its hard to come by size XS or even S for a good price but if i grab a M or L and bring it in store, would they accept the swap with no receipt? i feel like they should

6. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

i feel like they would want a receipt. whos to say it wasnt shoplifted.

7. randomkoreandude

yeah true, but i guess im just thinking of this like any other big store department store ... they accept it for store credit/exchange

8. osadolor619

osadolor619 Senior member

That's dishonest.

9. stevent

stevent Senior member

Well I feel like a lot of time they link purchases to your credit card / profile they have of you. I've returned stuff to Barneys before where I forgot to bring my receipt but they looked up my profile and credited my card back. I'm not sure what they would do if you told them it was a gift? Also I feel like most of these stores only have a few RRL items and could easily see how many they sold / track it back. And you may have to deal with reactions from SAs which sometimes can be a hassle. (One SA at Barneys SF (pretty sure she doesn't work there anymore) who gave me dirty looks the whole time I was returning a pair of APCs (not raw, washed light color pair) since I said they didn't fit and she kept asking me why I was returning. Said I bought it on impulse, asked an SA at the time if they fit the same as raw ones, got a positive reply etc. and she just kept doing everything so slowly. At that hassle I should have just flipped them on eBay)

Back on topic, I'd personally just wait for sales (~3 weeks to go) vs. the whole eBay and exchange route.

10. randomkoreandude

yeah true might as well wait for sale since this would inevitably be a bigger hassle then a normal return for size

11. Calikid

Calikid Senior member

Hey everyone,

just received my Marlow's from Jimmy Fingers. What a absolute pleasure to work with. This guy came through in spades!!!!
    Awesome guy!

12. benjamin831

benjamin831 Senior member

Anybody got any fit pics of RRL's Officer Selvedge Chinos?

13. cyc wid it

cyc wid it Senior member

14. randomkoreandude

ill be at the RRL in melrose tomorrow and the malibu store sometime this weekend ... if theres something you want, i can try and find it for you

i have no idea what the selection is like though

15. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member