1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Francis91

Francis91 Senior member

I have been reading the posts.... i see all the official retailers but when i go to Farinelli website i don't see any RRL jeans.

I know some of the styles but it seems they do not carry 31..... and i am looking for a slim bootcut rinse with no logo in the back pocket. It seems RRL has different sizing as well..... i see the measurements for last year but i have no idea if they are the same for this year.

Maybe you can help me out here, i don't understand the big deal.

They can't sell them online. Call or email the store.

2. oboy_oboy

oboy_oboy Senior member

They can't sell them online. Call or email the store.

This. There is nowhere to see pictures of current season items online--except whodini's excellent photos, of course. You cannot order them online. You have to call a stockist. Farinelli's is really helpful. give them a call.

Info re: styles/cuts/pocket stitching on denim is covered in this thread.

not trying to be harsh at all. it's just too common that posts show up asking about things that have been covered, often in depth, in the thread.

3. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

whodini do you affiliated with
    farinellis?

He's not only the president, but he's also a client.

Great pics Who.

4. Mauro

Mauro Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Washington, DC and a few months out of the year in
    ^^ yah, right he is the resident drunk.

5. dron10

dron10 Active Member

I have a pair of rrl straight leg jeans that I have been wearing since January now. I was wondering how to get them to fade faster or if after the first wash they will fade considerably. I have worn these jeans for 28 days out of every month and they have little fading to show for it. I'm not saying they are as dark as they used to be or that they are not fading at all but they still are very dark and not that contrasted. I have not washed them at all yet nor have I soaked them. They are of very high quality and have totally changed my outlook on jeans but I want them to look more like mine then some raw jeans. Thanks for the replies in advance guys. ~Derek
    This. I've only had my rrl slim fits for a week and a half or so but so far there really isn't any creasing evident. The honeycomb creases are very faint and I'm worried that even in 6-9 months the fading won't be very evident. Does anyone have pics of faded rrls (obviously raw, not factory faded). Oh and. Think it's funny that you (dcsenge) say that these jeans have changed the way you think about jeans. What is so special about them? The details are nice but the denim quality doesn't impress me.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

whodini do you affiliated with farinellis?
    I do not affiliated with farinellis. I'm a shopper and a friend. I'm also the cameo bartender.

7. Mauro

dron10 - not to be a dick, that's whos job but what is it about the quality of the denim that doesn't impress you??

8. whodini

whodini Senior member

dron can also feel free to take a look at the STYLEFORUM GALLERY listed at the top of this page.

9. dron10

dron10 Active Member

dron10 - not to be a dick, that's whos job but what is it about the quality of the denim that doesn't impress you??

Oh, you're fine, I don't think this question is in the least bit uncalled for. There isn't anything about the jeans that is particularly unimpressive, but there isn't anything that stands out. I honestly prefer the rugby jeans to the RRL ones. The denim of the RRLs seems a bit thin, the stitching is nice, but I just feel like they aren't going to fade much without a bit of help (ie lots of starch). And please, no one suggest I just wear the jeans harder, I'm a student. It isn't going to happen, which is why I feel that the Rugby jeans are better prepared for my purposes.

Are there any pictures of RRLs with nice fades? The only reason I buy raw denim is for the fades.

10. dron10

dron10 Active Member

dron can also feel free to take a look at the STYLEFORUM GALLERY listed at the top of this page.

Oh really? I can whodini? Thanks for the advice. I never realized that such a broad range of images was at my fingertips. Perhaps I would like to see more than one person's pictures of one pair of worn jeans. Feel free to think about that.

11. tonio028

tonio028 Senior member

^ Jean battles....serious bizness. Must this one brand over the other brand bullshit continue? I mean really, it's like arguing religion and politics.

12. dron10

dron10 Active Member

Haha I know what you mean, they occur all the time. I do feel it is a bit different here in that Rugby and RRL are both made by Ralph Lauren, but one is supposed to be clearly superior to the other.

13. Mauro

dron10,
    Please remember that a jean of lighter weight in no way reflects the quality of the cloth.
    However if you feel like you are more suited for a beefier denim you might want to check out something over 14oz.
    Futhermore how the jean is dyed and how it retains the indigo is more of a factor in fading than denimweight.
    different strokes for different folks. Some people like light weight goods and some like it thick.
    I try to help as many people as I can with fashion related questions. I also stress that personal preference and facts can be two different things. So please try not to confuse the two.

I can easily find out the weight of both denims and the mills they were woven in. So if you ever have a question feel free to ask.
    Best,
    Mauro

14. whodini

whodini Senior member

Oh really? I can whodini? Thanks for the advice. I never realized that such a broad range of images was at my fingertips. Perhaps I would like to see more than one person's pictures of one pair of worn jeans. Feel free to think about that.
    I'd try explaining how to search "RRL" in the denim pics thread but then I don't know what hand you'd use to keep your "Hooked on Phonics" book open. If your concept of quality is determined by the "thin"ness of denim and its quickness to fade then you run the risk of looking a tad green around the horns or a few marbles short of a Cobb salad. Heavier denim, such as Iron Heart, is notorious for being tough to fade. APCs fade like non colorfast clothes in a rainstorm and are priced accordingly. 45rpms are slow to fade and are priced accordingly. Might want to mull that one over, you know, after you're done with your homework.

15. dron10

dron10 Active Member

I don't believe the denim should be both quick to fade and thick. I simply believe that it should have one of these qualities. What then, determines good denim? You have criticized my interpretation but you have yet to enlighten me with your criterion for quality denim.

As an aside: what do you mean with the hooked on phonics reference? What have I been unable to read?

16. Mauro

good denim to me is a ring spun product using real indigo, woven on quality looms vintage or new, with the most important part ,quality cotton. The weight makes no difference to me because I like light weight and heavier weight denim.
    There are a few dyeing methods that I like put in the end the retension of the indigo is what I am looking for.
    At anytime Kiya or Henry Wong can jump in.

As far as a jean goes I look for a nice trim package ( just like a chick ..lol), quality denim, and a great fit. I don't think anyone can ask for more than that!

17. Rhies

Rhies Member

Measured waist is 35, but I normally fit into a 33/34 at J. Crew Classic Chinos.

Is the Khaki yellowish or natural looking? That is the color I prefer.

Thanks!

Don't forget about me [​IMG]

18. dron10

dron10 Active Member

Well you response is definitely a lot less confrontational than those provided by "whodini." I appreciate you posting a reply with substance. I still have a couple of questions, why do you prefer ring spun denim? Is it a difference you can feel or notice visually? What is quality cotton to you? And I finally found some RRL with good fades, my worry is assuaged. If anyone is interested: http://www.superfuture.com/supertalk...n+RRLs&page=99 The RRL thread on sufu is well developed.

19. Mauro

my grammer and spelling is very poor as most will tell you on the forum.

Please check out wikipedia on ring spun denim and ring x ring compare it to open end denim.
    cheap denim is OE premium denim should be ring spun or ring x ring.
    The quality of the cotton is based on the cotton bush . You really want to look at the cotton that produces the longest strans.
    I.E. australian cotton, zimbabwae, egyptian..etc
    the short hair cottons aren't as nice ( to me) and produce a different result.
    I will have Henry Wong explain more because developing denim is what he does and he can get his point across well via typing.
    sorry I can't explain it better but I am sure someone will chime in. My spelling and grammar is that bad. People ask me if english is my second langauge ...lol

20. dron10

dron10 Active Member

Well I think I understand what you're saying. Again thanks for a decent reply.

Whodini, I did search the "post pictures of your jeans" thread and I found one set of pictures. RRL seems to get a lot of hype, but it doesn't seem like many people post results on this board. And honestly, the RRLs are 220, which is only 70 more than the apcs, that isn't a big difference. I'm not concerned about looking "green around the horns" I'm only stating what I think.

And yes, I will mull the pricing/fading relationship over when I'm done with my homework. Is the fact that I attend school an insult? Perhaps if you had, you wouldn't be the "resident drunk" of Farinelli's.