1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

Tags:
  1. edubs01

edubs01 Senior member

I wear a Small in the Worskshirts but have to size up to a Medium on the Westerns. The Westerns are very slim at the waist.
    I ususally have to tailor the Medium Western though.

2. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

When you tailor the western don't you lose the ropy looking seams? Was thinking of having the sleeves done a bit.

3. Franky Paige

Franky Paige Well-Known Member

I'm usually a RRL guy but bought this Denim & Supply Jacket that my girlfriend is giving me grief about. Can I get some opinions on it?
    [​IMG]

4. Franky Paige

Bought this Denim & Supply coat that my girlfriend is giving me grief about. Any opinions on the coat? Thanks
    [​IMG]

5. VLSI

VLSI Senior member

I think she may be right man, sorry.

6. Franky Paige

Sorry for the double post. I was afraid of that, she said it looked like something the New Kids On the Block would wear. Egh, this might have to go back.

7. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

is that a man or a woman?

8. Regg

Regg Senior member

9. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

10. Regg

Regg Senior member

colors on the shoulders are a bit different two. the final version looks so boring :(

11. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

I saw a bunch of the D&S stuff while walking through Macy's the other night. I appreciate the effort and, while some of the stuff has potential, the shit is CHEESY looking. One particularly fugly item is the arrowhead cargo shorts. The women line isn't as bad and had some dresses I'd like to see my lady in, though.

1 person likes this.
  12. Regg

Regg Senior member

I'll probably try to check it out this weekend. I don't have very high hopes

13. RRL CLOTHING

I also recently went to Macy's to check it out in person, while it's presented nicely you do get the vibe it's designed and constructed to the lowest spec possible and most of it an afterthought. ''Occupy hipster douche/slut'' is how I would best describe it's style. It's tacky, overpriced, and tries way too hard.

I hope it will be discontinued soon, it's really only serves to make polo and RRL look good. Some french tourist kids were standing around admiring the display like it's the greatest shit ever.

Also i found it odd that many pieces had D&S '67 or 1967 written on it as if the label was made in '67 when PRL was launched. I think that's highly deceptive trying to fool newcomers into thinking it's a well established brand. RRL doesn't lie about the fact it was established in 1993 and Rugby in 2004. D&S should have 2011 stamped all over it, not 1967!

Last edited: Mar 9, 2012
    1 person likes this.
  14. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

I agree about the EST lettering - but to be fair Polo Jeans Co. has been using 1967 for quite some time as well, although i'm not too clear if it was EST in '67. Technically speaking D&S is Polo Jeans Co - reinvented/rebranded.

15. RRL CLOTHING

I'm confused, I read D&S was supposed to replace Polo jeans but PRL still makes jeans. Or was it supposed to bring back Polo Jeans Co.?

Polo Jeans Co. was discontinued in 2006. I think D&S is a new line - maybe has some of the same roots as Polo Jeans Co - but still new none-the-less. I don't think if you bring something back after 5 years, revamp/reinvent/rename/whatever you shouldn't be able to keep it's original Est. date but I guess when you have billions of dollars you can do whatever you want.

16. Kensington

Kensington Senior member

I thought it was supposed to be totally new line going after the Urban Outfitters fauxhemian demographic. It doesn't look like it's superseding anything.

17. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Polo made jeans under the Polo Ralph Lauren monicker and Polo Jeans Co. monicker.

The difference being branding mostly - but Polo Jeans co. was relatively cheaper and lower quality.

Denim and Supply is in a way, a more modern Polo Jeans Co. (Which was very well stuck in the 90s). Polo Jeans Co. appealed to the masses in the 90s, but lost favor once Urban Outfitters and the likes gained much more momentum and appeal.

Hence, discontinuing Polo Jeans and reinventing it as D&S a few years later.

I didn't mean to say they rolled it over to a new brand - but rather phased out one and created a new one that fills the placeholder left by the old one.

Hence why they still use the '67 Established date because in essence it is a rebranding, reinvention and reimagination of Polo Jeans Co. to counter the Urban Outfitters and etc.. markets and appeal to the masses.

{This is partially opinionated - but I hope you see my logic....)

18. gumercindo

gumercindo Senior member

question about slim fit jeans. If I'm a 31x32 in low straights denim at RRL, should I stick with the same for slim fits?

19. Dave_SFU

Dave_SFU Senior member

There should be a separate thread for RRL denim sizing questions

20. oceansaway

oceansaway Senior member

Polo Jeans Company has not been discontinued. PJC has stand alone stores in southeast Asia (in Singapore, for example) and in Europe, I think, and the stuff isn't cheap. It's not really my cup of tea -- too many logos and too trendy -- but it's good quality. I think a franchisee may own the PJC license, but it's by no means junk.