The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

Dude, that reminds me of what that denim priest would wear; I think he lived around the Rogers Park area. You know who I'm talking about? Was getting his picture in the Trib a few years ago because he was walking around these bad neighborhoods wearing these monk robes made of denim patchwork and pulling these Latino kids out of crossfires that would occur between rival gangs. Can't find a pic on teh webz though. Guy looked pretty bad ass.

2. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

Check the LA stores they have a few in stock. Medium and large if I'm not mistaken. Its on sale for about $ 165.

3. Trimalchio

Trimalchio Senior member

I'm relatively new here so forgive me if I'm not adhering to strict protocol by asking a question like this...

So I'm a huge RRL fan - own about 7 paris of their jeans, along with some knit tops of shirts.

I really needed some new khakis (I currently have none) and just bought a pair of the RRL Officer chinos in GURKHA. The store didn't have the regular Khaki color in my size (34 x 34) so this is why I went with Gurkha instead. What does everyone think of this color? It is very similar to traditional khaki, but with a slightly green tint, giving it more of a military look. I can't say whether this is completely my look or not. Part of me likes the fact that it's different from generic khaki that is out there and part of me worries that I should have stuck with something more basic for my first khaki purchase (I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm more of a jean person).

Does anyone have a strong opinion on this - Khaki vs Gurkha?

Thanks in advance for your help.

4. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

Does anyone know if there are any vendors who sell the $220 raw selvedge officer chino other than Blake and Context? They're all out of my size (29)...

5. srgprod

srgprod Senior member

I really needed some new khakis (I currently have none) and just bought a pair of the RRL Officer chinos in GURKHA. The store didn't have the regular Khaki color in my size (34 x 34) so this is why I went with Gurkha instead. What does everyone think of this color?

Does anyone have a strong opinion on this - Khaki vs Gurkha?

You made a great choice. IMHO the Gurkha color is more versatile. It goes with more colors and fabrics. You can dress these up or down whereas, the Khaki color chino is a bit dressier.

Nice going. I think you'll get a lot of use out of these...

6. Trimalchio

Trimalchio Senior member

Thanks srgprod! That's great feedback. Much appreciated.

7. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

:fistbump:

Twas an epic fail on my part. I purchased this jacket earlier in the day from the RL on Fillmore St. I liked the jacket but the duck horn slot looked a out of place and pointless for my needs. Then, later in the evening I went to a food truck gathering and was able to put the duck horn slot to good use:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2011

8. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Met a fellow sf'er later that night. He happened to be wearing a pair of RRL low straights. The stitching detail on the back pocket gave it away.

9. ispace

ispace Senior member

Cheers for the explanation Namor! Cool jacket.

10. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

thanks. i picked it up for $200 with tax. Their was another one in L if anyone else is interested. I also saw this sweater in white. Looked great with my rrl striped oxford with the top button buttoned up. If anyone knows where to find this in a M, do PM me. Thanks!

11. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

[​IMG]

Hey RRL thread:

Apologies if the focus of the thread has changed, but I was hoping someone could chime in with some -- any -- information about these pants I purchased. Basically, I'd like to save them a trip to B&S. They're a size too long, and while I'd planned on getting them hemmed, I'm afraid the design at the knee area prevents this. Am I being too anal, or would it look OK-ish if the knee area was actually closer to the bottom of the pants? (In general, they just seem to be cut for a taller person. I am severely bummed).

Also, I find zilch on the age, style, etc. of these pants. They're zip front, have button pockets in back, are made in Malaysia, and have an pointing finger and the words 'If you care' written on the care tag. Any info at all would be appreciated! Thanks.

12. Saturdays

Saturdays Senior member

Well when you put the pants on, before hemmed does the knee area fall much below your knee? if so it may look like you have weird bone structure while standing still.

13. burningbright

burningbright Senior member

When wearing pants like this, you have to actually consider the utilitarian function of the reinforced knee and not its aesthetic. Put them on and either sit down in a chair or get down on one knee and put your other leg in front of you (as if you'd be shooting a rifle). Where does the reinforced knee fall then? If it falls over your knee cap then you're fine. The reinforced knee serves no purpose while you're standing (only for when the knee bends and makes contact with a surface) so it will fall just below your knee cap.

Sometimes work wear is actually :gasp: work wear.

14. noob in 89

noob in 89 Senior member

Ah, thanks, guys. Guess that answers my question. Thing is, I didn't even recognize the pants as workwear; they're probably the most luxurious navy pants I've encountered this side of Incotex, so terminally unsuited for any kind of labor, I just assumed the knee stripes were arbitrary, purely aesthetic. Which, honestly, is probably still the case -- (I can't really picture cowhands or steel workers toiling away in these) -- but I get the origins now.

Thanks! :slayer:

15. Hatch&Whisk

Hatch&Whisk Senior member

Found this while checking out a RRL flannel I picked up on the cheap (I assume it's one of the icon pieces from a while back)

[​IMG]

sorry it's sideways; photo editing software is being kind of absurd.