1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 11: Any Three (3) Customized Ties from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 11th auction of the year is for any three customized ties from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. airportlobby

airportlobby Distinguished Member

These won't stretch though, right? Usually you buy the jeans so you can just button them, then they stretch out to a nice comfy fit. But I've never found trousers to stretch.
    I sized down one for mine and have to wash them quite often because they stretch so much. One of the more stretchy pair of khakis I own. It's enough of a nuisance that the stretching has reduced my appreciation for these pants.

2. Lachy

Lachy Senior Member

Thanks for the info! There is a church near my apartment. Maybe if I can get the priest to write a note, the RRL store on Melrose will save a pair of grail chino's for me.
    [​IMG]

I sized down one for mine and have to wash them quite often because they stretch so much. One of the more stretchy pair of khakis I own.

Awwwww, you're making this difficult for me. Mauro only got in even sizes (maybe they only come in even sizes?) So I think a 32 will be too small, but a 34 might be too big if it stretches like you say! I'm leaning towards the 34 though, I can get them taken in if need be, but if the 32s are too small then I'm in a bit of trouble.

3. airportlobby

airportlobby Distinguished Member

Sizing up might be better to avoid stretching out the upper of the 32s and having them look like jodhpurs. On the other hand, these have flap pockets, so if you have to take them in a lot, the pocket placement may look funny.

4. Lachy

Lachy Senior Member

Nathan says the 34s measure 36", and that the 32s measure 34.5". I'm going to take a chance on the 32s. If they're a little snug, it'll just be more incentive for me to work a bit harder at the gym!

BTW, Nathan is awesome! [​IMG]

5. London

London Distinguished Member

I have a pair of straight leg selvedge denim

6. Razele

Razele Distinguished Member

I want some officers chino's.

I'm hoping I get my back pay through on my next pay, as the W+H denim should be landing soon too.

7. Razele

Razele Distinguished Member

I'll be honest, the last time I handled them was about eight months ago for no more than a couple of minutes. That said, the fabric was pretty damn crisp and rigid compared to the 8oz chinos. Is it enough of a difference to warrant the additional cost?

I'll put it this way:
    -No one else does this chino. KMW's version is obviously very nice but at $275 retail their fabric isn't as substantial nor as limited as RRL.
    -If you're shelling out for RRL it's because you're not looking for a pair of J.Crew's that you can have altered; you're looking for better fabric, construction, and attention to detail and if this is the best RRL has to offer then you're paying for a "grail" piece, the chino.
    -Going along the "grail" idea, you're also paying for the nerd/collector value at that price range but that's not to say that RRL is marking it up just for the sake of it. The fabric is EXPENSIVE (that's what you're paying for) and for better or worse it looks like for the upcoming seasons RRL is going to use even more expensive fabrics for their garments; I guess you can think of these chinos as the rude introduction.

FWIW, it's clearly expensive for what it is and I'd have no trouble understanding why people would bash it for the price as I was sticker shocked the first time I saw them. That said, after a few minutes of mulling it over I began to put it in my fall wishlist for a couple of reasons: I don't wear chinos so if I had to get one pair for my closet why not make it the pair and the fabric is about as legit as I've ever handled for a chino. It's pretty obvious I'm a RRL fanboy so my opinions will be skewed but hopefully tainted with some truth.

Expensive limited run fabrics made on old looms then imported accross an ocean tend to run expensive.

I can never understand how this place argues about cost / value all the time, on lines that have quality as a fundemental.

People will bitch, then go to J Crew and buy officers chino in 8 colours, including eggplant and blueberry.

FFS

The reasons who has just sited are my thoughts too (though I have obviously never handled the chinos). I rarely wear trousers casually, I've been looking add a pair of chinos, and these seem like the shit. Plus, that magic word "selvage", it's like catnip.

This.

I'm usually in denim, or shorts, and would like one good pair of chino's to throw in.

8. London

London Distinguished Member

I need to add for sale

9. edubs01

edubs01 Distinguished Member

Getting the pink selvage oxford.

10. StarterStyle

StarterStyle Senior Member

The Chicago store had absolutely nothing in the way of Chambray shirts or raw denim that wasn't boot-cut.

Correction, there was one very light indigo chambray workshirt in my size, but it had a snag and a hole in the back [​IMG].

11. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

Nathan says the 34s measure 36", and that the 32s measure 34.5". I'm going to take a chance on the 32s. If they're a little snug, it'll just be more incentive for me to work a bit harder at the gym!

BTW, Nathan is awesome! [​IMG]

You stole my pants...Damn you!

12. Lachy

Lachy Senior Member

You have to be quick, my friend. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't fit me. God, I hope not though.

13. Tooch4321

Tooch4321 Distinguished Member

You have to be quick, my friend. Maybe you'll get lucky and they won't fit me. God, I hope not though.

nah...i have spent a lot of money and just decided i wanted them today...

14. greg_1006

greg_1006 Member

Anyone who is willing please post fit pictures of the RRL officers when you get them. Any other RRL fit pictures would be great as well. I just wish I could afford the stuff right now.

15. edubs01

edubs01 Distinguished Member

Can anybody provide available colors for both the officer and regulation chinos?