The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

I'm confused. If they tapered it from the inseam, the lip should be its same distressed self and the rest of the denim fed underneath it. How much a difference could that possibly make?

2. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

3. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Wow. I have a feeling this stuff is going to be on sale a lot.

4. subdivide

subdivide Senior member

Re: Denim & Supply - looks like an emphasis on weathered, washed and distressed denim and chambray. How could this be a "bad thing" for consumers who like RRL, a line composed of garments that are
    1. frequently unobtainable
    2. generally overpriced
    3. often unremarkable in their materials and construction

If anything, I'd guess that the increased production volumes and overlap of Denim and Supply will allow the RRL designers more experimentation and leeway with whatever mills they're using to produce their textiles. Hopefully RRL will distinguish itself from the (increasingly RRL-like) other lines of the Ralph Lauren behemoth by branching out into more ambitious designs, reproductions, and limited edition stuff. INSTEAD of being the only clothing line in America that sells a decent henley (for $135 or more)

5. whodini

whodini Conan OOOOOOO"BRIEN!

For anyone who thinks this is a "new" line needs to take a look back at RL 67.

6. kmdsimpson

kmdsimpson Senior member

Good points. I've just realized it's a non-event as far as RRL is concerned. As long as they are playing at the lower end of the price spectrum - and I certainly don't begrudge them doing that, nor do I begrudge anyone who purchases their stuff - our precious RRL should be safe, right?

Also, every once in a while when we can't find or don't want to pay for that cool RRL piece, maybe there'll be a less expensive alternative; the Alaska duck pants, and their PRL -pseudo twins come to mind.

And RRL denim will always be there for us diehards.

7. stu00a

stu00a Senior member

Wow I never expected that price range. I thought it would be $100 ~ $150 for a pair of jeans. I guess they targeted low end. It won't hurt RRL.

But, how about RRL coming to online? I wonder what kinds of results will bring this to future RRL.

8. Froosh

Froosh Senior member

9. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

Namor those antique cream selvedge jeans are great. I have the exact pair, but with lighter back pocket stitching. Too bad they do not fit.

RRL online---I guess realistically most of us saw this coming. Very few of us live near a retail store that carries RRL. The Polo store at Lenox carries RRL, but is seriously lacking. Think of a walk in closet sized space. It is also part of the appeal with RRL.

I think this will be bad for resellers.

Besides some of the 'bad ass' RRL pieces that never make it to ebay, RRL is not that much more expensive than Polo or Rugby at full retail.
    135[​IMG]

Lots of speculation on this thread. It could be nothing more than hype. People who visit the Polo website that have never heard of RRL now have sparked their curiosity.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011

10. jimmyfingers

jimmyfingers Senior member

I will be in NYC on business from the 10-17. The 10, 11, 12th are working days. However, the rest of time will be partying and spending money.

I will be hitting the Woodbury Commons outlet as well as the RRL stores in New York. As most of you know, I am an employee of the company and get a discount.

I am willing to proxy stuff from the RRL retail store if you know exactly what you want and what size. For example- the oiled chino from the XXX collection in size 30X34. This is just an example, but you get the point.

Stuff like 'well from the XXX collection their was this flannel shirt with a bunch of colors" "if you see something like this pick it up" "i am between a M and L so let me know the measurements first"

When I hit the outlet, I will not be offering proxies for obvious reasons. You never know what is in stock is one of them. Instead, I will buy whatever I can get my hands on.

PM if you are interested.

11. corneliusparky

corneliusparky Senior member

Well shoot, these grey jeans are awesome but they do stretch a bit. It's been a while since I had some non raw denim and I assumed these would not stretch at all. Now they are 32 waist and I'm a 29. Classifieds here I come, I guess the 3 size down is my new RRL mantra.

12. RRL CLOTHING

RRL CLOTHING Senior member

ha, D&S is much cheaper and less desirable than I thought it would be. Guess it's designed to compete against the A&F/j.crew crowd rather than "work alongside LVC and Denham"...

13. deez nuts

deez nuts Senior member

when i saw the denim and supply stuff on the macy's website, that's exactly what came to mind... very Abercrombie looking.

14. somatoform

somatoform Senior member

Actually, after having not checked out jcrew in a long while I checked the site and I like more and more stuff, especially some of the indigo shirts. Elsewhere, that K&TH madras they did for $200 made in Japan: [​IMG] has been just as good if not better than most of RRLs recent shirts, cheaper, and not made in China.