• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hyunbin09

Reaction score
But still weird how the delta from small to medium is miniscule, but then delta from M to L seems enormous in relative terms. Best bet for some might be to buy the L and have a seamstress or tailor alter to fit, but geez, would it be that much harder to just make the step up between sizes a little more consistent?

Well luxury brands or even contemporary designers makes clothing specifically for the Asian market. If you look at Dior tags, it’ll say, for Japan market or something like that. Same with Theory. Maybe they do this with the polo brand where the factories can produce at this level. I’m not sure if RRL shares the same factory as Polo, but maybe there was no benefit in making clothes for western markets and for Asian markets from a cost perspective. Maybe they saw that customers in Japan and Asia will buy at full retail compared to the US market and decided to appease that market and alienate certain people in the US? I’m just rambling, but that’s where my heads at.

Jerkstore

Reaction score
But still weird how the delta from small to medium is miniscule, but then delta from M to L seems enormous in relative terms. Best bet for some might be to buy the L and have a seamstress or tailor alter to fit, but geez, would it be that much harder to just make the step up between sizes a little more consistent?
Rogue Territory is like this, but between L and XL. S/M/L have a 1in chest difference and it jumps to 1.5in or 2in for XL. Makes most stuff too small or too big for me.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Brogue has some new season stuff on sale but only 10%. Higher markdown on older stuff. No tax.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well luxury brands or even contemporary designers makes clothing specifically for the Asian market. If you look at Dior tags, it’ll say, for Japan market or something like that. Same with Theory. Maybe they do this with the polo brand where the factories can produce at this level. I’m not sure if RRL shares the same factory as Polo, but maybe there was no benefit in making clothes for western markets and for Asian markets from a cost perspective. Maybe they saw that customers in Japan and Asia will buy at full retail compared to the US market and decided to appease that market and alienate certain people in the US? I’m just rambling, but that’s where my heads at.

Yeah, not sure. You can still appease the market with the S to M relative size difference, but assume this would work the opposite way in the M to L step up, i.e. alienate the segment of the Asian market that is 6' and above and over 175 pounds lol. Surely they exist?

Leroy74

Reaction score
Yeah, not sure. You can still appease the market with the S to M relative size difference, but assume this would work the opposite way in the M to L step up, i.e. alienate the segment of the Asian market that is 6' and above and over 175 pounds lol. Surely they exist?
I'm guessing there is some market research behind this...assuming the asian market really is the reason.

Basically my new idea is I either need to lose 5 pounds or gain 30. One of those should help my fit.

Leroy74

Reaction score
Rogue Territory is like this, but between L and XL. S/M/L have a 1in chest difference and it jumps to 1.5in or 2in for XL. Makes most stuff too small or too big for me.
Rogue Territory is another level of frustrating when it comes to fit. I got why they did that 10 years ago when everyone was still sizing down 2 sizes, but who still does that?

Jerkstore

Reaction score
Rogue Territory is another level of frustrating when it comes to fit. I got why they did that 10 years ago when everyone was still sizing down 2 sizes, but who still does that?
They basically don't offer a 22.5" chest anymore and it's crazy frustrating--22" or 23.5".

Edit - also the shoulder measurements are smaller than what would be expected. Just weird fits.

Leroy74

Reaction score
They basically don't offer a 22-22.5" chest anymore and it's crazy frustrating.
I feel like a lot of RTs like minded brands (3Sixteen, Mister Freedom, etc) have adjusted slightly with the times while still keeping their core aesthetic intact. I'm not saying baggy or even super loose fits are essential, but super fitted looks very dated at the moment.

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think the only thing consistent about RRL sizing is how inconsistent it is.

I got two pairs of field chinos in same size recently. The distressed bedford cord pair fits but is a bit snug in the waist . The denim ones are borderline too loose in the waist.

A couple years ago I got surplus cargoes in olive that fit perfect. I liked them a lot and got another pair in same size and color when I saw them at deep discount. They fit different and are a bit snug.

It also seems weird that they would purposely adjust the sizes for S and M for the Asian market with a big jump to L. Why wouldn't they just produce more XS? Seems like SA making stuff up when it's really just RRL being RRL and having funky sizing.

Leroy74

Reaction score

I got two pairs of field chinos in same size recently. The distressed bedford cord pair fits but is a bit snug in the waist . The denim ones are borderline too loose in the waist.

A couple years ago I got surplus cargoes in olive that fit perfect. I liked them a lot and got another pair in same size and color when I saw them at deep discount. They fit different and are a bit snug.

It also seems weird that they would purposely adjust the sizes for S and M for the Asian market with a big jump to L. Why wouldn't they just produce more XS? Seems like SA making stuff up when it's really just RRL being RRL and having funky sizing.
Valid point

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
An oilcloth jacket and hat kind of day. 501s, C&J for Ralph Lindricks.

oilclothred.jpg

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You would think that there would be a huge financial incentive to enforce consistent sizing with their factories as it would result in fewer returns which are a major expense to any retailer.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads