• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I can think of same logic apply for older cars too, not sure if the generation after would give a crap about it (so maybe that means by the time I retire I can get to buy whatever I want for cheap, assuming you can still get gas and drive ICE car that is)

True. Give it a couple of decades and maybe I'll finally be able to pick up my late 70s Smoky and the Bandit Trans Am on the cheap..

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Not true. A of of people in the digital space are getting into mechanical watches.

Again, I guess it depends on how we define a "lot" of people in terms of demand. There are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of luxury watches in people's collections right now, so I guess it all depends on whether or not the small sliver of people coming up in this digital space will be enough to support prices at current or higher levels. I have my doubts personally. Millenials and Zoomers just don't seem to give a **** about things like this on average. Most people I know under 35 that have "made it" in banking or tech wear digital watches almost to a person. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yea that’s pretty much what I saw too, a guy was interested in watch he got 2 relative omega (as in over 10k) back in 2016, and kind stop wearing them for a long time and just Apple Watch exclusively these days

Mollysdad

Reaction score
Again, I guess it depends on how we define a "lot" of people in terms of demand. There are probably hundreds of thousands if not millions of luxury watches in people's collections right now, so I guess it all depends on whether or not the small sliver of people coming up in this digital space will be enough to support prices at current or higher levels. I have my doubts personally. Millenials and Zoomers just don't seem to give a **** about things like this on average. Most people I know under 35 that have "made it" in banking or tech wear digital watches almost to a person. Maybe I'm wrong, time will tell.

fitness > faux fashion

Randelpink

Reaction score
I work out every morning. Used to wear apple just for those activities. It now collects dust. To each their own.

Daily driver for the last 5 years, upgraded with RRL strap.

899A34A0-1374-4FE4-A4F7-01EAC389C9C3.jpeg

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more things go digital people want physical objects and touch

London

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There is not a generational standard for people under 35. Consumer behavior is much more nuanced than that.

harveyrabbit

Reaction score
This is all speculation, but as long as footballers, NBA players, rappers and musicians, movie stars and other influencers continue to rock Rolex and other high end watches, I don’t think prices are going down. A watch and wedding band have always been the most conventionally accepted men’s jewelry.

Lotuspath

Reaction score
Really enjoying the watch discussion and seeing the time pieces.
There were some buzz words mentioned like status symbol and waste which fit the economist description of “conspicuous consumption” and also perhaps the other more psychologically distasteful term “invidious consumption”. A great example to me of invidious consumption is when you see someone on IG post a picture of themselves holding a tiny brown RRL shopping bag. Look, please envy me, I bought an expensive item ….. but you don’t even get to see the damn thing. A slight step above is when someone post a picture of the unopened item still in plastic wrap on their bed (????).

I kind of get the impression that watches as a status symbol fall into the same general category as expensive ladies handbags (both of which can be found at extremely incredible mark downs in back alleys of NYC Chinatown). I‘ve recently read that the new ultimate status symbol isn’t the expensive watch but rather ….. time itself.

The Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos of the world can’t possibly efficiently spend all their wealth so why continue to work when your lifespan is actually your most precious commodity? Is that maybe why these guys now feel the need to build space ships? Veblen wrote about “The Theory of the Leisure Class” and this new time-status-symbol is truly the flip of the coin.

BTW, when my nephew came to NYC on Spring break some years ago, he begged me to take him to Chinatown to buy a fake Rolex (approx. $50) and the biggest heapin’ helpin‘ of a belt buckle he could find. His reasoning? The guy with the biggest belt buckle rules the playground. Hmmmmm

Last edited:

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well if I’m independent wealthy I’ll definitely fund research into robotics and space travel, then probably just go back to school to learn more math for fun… though would probably still get bunch watch and probably buy decent ton of clothes…

Mollysdad

Reaction score
Well if I’m independent wealthy I’ll definitely fund research into robotics and space travel, then probably just go back to school to learn more math for fun… though would probably still get bunch watch and probably buy decent ton of clothes…

Use your employer’s continuing Ed benefits - no need to be independently wealthy there ??

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I doubt anyone would fund me to get a theoretical math phd, and purely for just because reason... (also if I do that for real I wouldn't be able to do my job for real, theoretical math isn't something you do for fun on the side, not sure if I'm mentally capable to be honest, and speaking as an ex phd student in EE, i.e. my math is pretty dumb relative to that standard)

tweedlover

Reaction score
It would seem that the most logical pairing of a watch with RRL, (at least if you're talking its southwestern-inspired pieces), would be a watch with a native American southwestern styled bracelet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads