• We would like to welcome Pete and Harry as an official Affiliate Vendor. Pete and Harry, co-founded by Erik (EFV) one of our long time members and friends, offers a wide variety of products, clothes, watches and accessories, antique, vintage, “pre-loved” and new - all at unparalleled prices. Please visit their new thread and give them a warm welcome.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Michigan Planner

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up the Indigo chino and while they're a bit of a strange beast, I gotta say I love them. In the catalog they show them in the tailored clothing area (probably mainly because they also had a matching sport coat and vest), they're cut more like the officer chino or the jungle pants, and the rear pockets are like jean pockets.

1627056201601.png

The fabric is also really soft and feels more like a sashiko fabric (and looks like sashiko up close).

1627056266201.png

Anybody else have these? Because of the relatively loose weave, I'm curious as to whether I should expect any significant shrinkage when they get washed.

Speaking of RLPL, I must be getting old as I'm warming up to this line. Some of its stuff is actually cheaper than comparable items at RRL and in much better quality IMO.
There always seems to be some gems in the mainline RLPL stuff each season, it's just that you need to sift through a lot more crap to find those gems.

clemente21

Reaction score
tried on some RRL jeans today for the first time in years. the descriptions on the website seem to be totally misleading if not contradictory to the actual fit. the slim narrows for example have a pretty high rise and are significantly less slim than the slim fits.

mrbig

Reaction score
After getting into the Slim Fit denim thinking the Straight Taper was my sweet spot and scouring the web for them, I've found the straight taper, which was described as the top block of the straight leg but tapered from the knee down...
to be a rebranded Slim Fit, but less slim through the lower leg.

I think we just put up with the dodgy photos and descriptions because we so often receive pieces we like when we order and it's so easy to return them. Except if you don't live in the US like myself :(

fwedo

Reaction score
Speaking of RLPL, I must be getting old as I'm warming up to this line. Some of its stuff is actually cheaper than comparable items at RRL and in much better quality IMO.
I am a long time consumer of RLPL. My dressing is now 75% RLPL and 25% RRL (RRL is mostly for week ends, and very casual wear : country house, forest activities, etc.). RLPL is very high quality (far more than RRL, except for jeans) but items are more fragile. Colors are often very subtle and clothes age really well. I stick to RRL only for jeans and very casual clothes. It's quite easy to mix the two brands if you are in the Ralphie look...
Here is a 100% RLPL in a "dressy RRL look" (check shirt and cords)

1.png

Randelpink

Reaction score
The new patchwork cardigan is up on the site today l, really like the idea of it and what looks to be whipstich connecting the patches. Overall just a little too loud though for me. Will give it a look in person but the color scheme looks to heavy.

stickshift

Reaction score
The new patchwork cardigan is up on the site today l, really like the idea of it and what looks to be whipstich connecting the patches. Overall just a little too loud though for me. Will give it a look in person but the color scheme looks to heavy.
If I’m paying $1600 for a sweater it’s gotta be indigo 😂 in all seriousness I liked the indigo non-patch one more.

Viral

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
tried on some RRL jeans today for the first time in years. the descriptions on the website seem to be totally misleading if not contradictory to the actual fit. the slim narrows for example have a pretty high rise and are significantly less slim than the slim fits.
I don't know you arrived at this conclusion...........slim narrows have a high rise and are tapered from the knee down (carrot shape) - are definitely slimmer than slim fits, I own both so speaking from experience.

michaelvl

Reaction score
Huge RLPL fan too, especially the stuff they put out between 2011-2016. My dress and business casual shirts are almost exclusively by RLPL. They still offer some great shirts from time to time. I used to wear their pants exclusively too. I still have some awesome pairs in wool from said period. Too bad they abandoned their regular fit classic pants (with 39.5 or greater leg openings), that men with a classic style between 25 and 60 could pull off. Now they only seem to offer fashion forward slim fit pants with very narrow leg openings that imho can basically only paired with loafers, more targeted towards youngsters.

About a year ago I completely threw in the towel and abandoned them as well as Polo when it comes to dress and business casual pants. Pommella has filled in the void they left wonderfully albeit they are a step up in price compared to RLPL.

mrbig

Reaction score
+1 on RLPL. Quite a few hidden gems. My dress shirts are now all RLPL coming from Turnbull & Asser purely because of how well fitting and how consistent they are.
They tend to have more subtle old-world cues than RRL which makes them workplace appropriate, plus they end up at outlets more due to higher stock numbers

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Sneakers with tailoring: yes, no, maybe?

• No, never.

• Yes, it can be done tastefully.

• Not sure.

Results are only viewable after voting.