• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
RL.com's color is so off the wall. Sending it back. I would have kept it if it's anywhere near the "oatmeal" color shown online.

Online:
s7-1374728_lifestyle

IRL (WTF?):
P1100397.JPG

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
RL.com's color is so off the wall. Sending it back. I would have kept it if it's anywhere near the "oatmeal" color shown online.

Online:
s7-1374728_lifestyle

IRL (WTF?):
View attachment 1562298

oatmeal after Saint Patrick has digested it maybe?

in all honesty I actually like the color but yeah, if you were buying the cream color up top but got the one below, I’d be frustrated also..

fwedo

Reaction score
they really have to work on this (and some other things on their website)...
Difference between web and/or lookbook and reality are super annoying and probably cost them a lot (in returns)
I also have spotted a brown corduroy jacket. Beautiful details on the lookbook (patches, etc.) They all have disappeared on the website....I will not test it IRL.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
oatmeal after Saint Patrick has digested it maybe?

in all honesty I actually like the color but yeah, if you were buying the cream color up top but got the one below, I’d be frustrated also..

So disappointed as I've been looking for the "McQueen sweater" for a long time. This is as close as it gets with good return policy.

McSp

Reaction score
they really have to work on this (and some other things on their website)...
Difference between web and/or lookbook and reality are super annoying and probably cost them a lot (in returns)
I also have spotted a brown corduroy jacket. Beautiful details on the lookbook (patches, etc.) They all have disappeared on the website....I will not test it IRL.
The color unreliability and other related issues have already been debated several times here. Of course they are not able or have no interest in fixing it.

Lotuspath

Reaction score
I got some good news and some bad news. First the bad news ..... there is no white/oat donegal sweater ..... and now the good news ..... the olive donegal sweater doesn't exist either. It's just another episode in the fantastical adventures in RRL photography. As Winston86dit said, the sweater is not a pea soup green, it's more like a seasick green.

Here is the sweater on the website;

And here is the actual sweater in the store;

View attachment 1518143

It skipped a light fandango ..... turned cartwheels cross the floor.

Wow ,,,,, there must be some weird backstory to what’s going on with that sweater. About two months ago someone on the forum claimed the website photo went from oatmeal then to olive.
He wanted the oatmeal but was afraid it was olive green like the website image. So I took a picture of the actual sweater in the store and it was a much lighter color closer to oatmeal (see attachment photo in link above). Now the photo on the website is of an oatmeal color sweater but you order the sweater and when it arrives you get an olive green. Aliens? Magical? Very strange.

BTW ..... there were still some in the store on West Broadway last week (the oatmeal-ish version). You might call Dave, Kevin, James or Cameron to take a photo before ordering it. Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Polo offers a classic cream wool fisherman sweater just about every year. I have one from a couple years ago. I’d think it’s pretty heavy for SoCal wear since it’s heavy for PNW other than middle of winter. It runs big. Currently on sale for $200.

styleforumfan

Reaction score
I've heard Talon zippers are prone to failure. Should you stay away from expensive RRL jackets fitted with such zippers?

Fenderplyr

Reaction score
I've heard Talon zippers are prone to failure. Should you stay away from expensive RRL jackets fitted with such zippers?
nonsense, we call that a feature. And some of RRL's best items use talon zips so no reason to stay away

wklq76a

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure what kind they use, but I've found Brunello zippers to be pretty bad. One on a jacket took a couple dozen wears to get "unsticky", and another on a duffle bag did that "open on both sides of the pull" thing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads