• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

vintage38

Reaction score
Funny about that shirt. I ordered it online where it’s $159. My order was fulfilled by a store. It had a tag for $139.
How do you like the red work shirt? I've been eyeing it on line, but looks much better in your pic. How's the fit? I'm usually a XXL in RRL shirt but take a XL in their Jackets. Always struggle on which way to go with their Overshirts. Thanks in advance. s7-1357403_lifestyle.jpeg

Last edited:

McSp

Reaction score
Wow, much appreciated!

Do you have the hard-copy versions for the 2014 catalogs? I can fix the aspect ratio on some of the PDF covers.
Is there any way to see catalogs before 2014? What do you think?

zippyh

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
How do you like the red work shirt? I've been eyeing it on line, but looks much better in your pic. How's the fit? I'm usually a XXL in RRL shirt but take a XL in their Jackets. Always struggle on which way to go with their Overshirts. Thanks in advance. View attachment 1420840
I’d get same size as what you get your shirts.

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can I get a fit check on these. Do they give at all as they break in? Had them on for a few minutes and they already felt like they were getting more comfortable as they are ridiculously stiff out of the box. Comments/suggestions appreciated. View attachment 1420493 View attachment 1420494 View attachment 1420495 View attachment 1420496 View attachment 1420498 View attachment 1420499

Hmmmm..... tough one. I agree with what everyone else has said. It's the thighs that give me pause.

Now, I have a pair of APC Rescue that put the slim-ness of these to shame. But after a few weeks of wearing they are perfect (and I can't button the first two buttons without a struggle after washing).

But I knew the stretch potential of APC (have known for a very long time). What's the stretch potential on the RRLs? If they are anything like SdA or Momotaro or Eternal I would say hell no, too tight.

The waist and seat will give for sure, as will the thighs. It's just too hard to tell if the thighs will give enough. What fit are you going for? If your okay with comfort fitted, then, yeah, they'll probably be good.

Thethrill

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everybody.

I think I am going to keep them based on the fact that they don't have a 38 available and with the hope that once they break in they'll be a perfect fit. I've also been losing weight and am set on losing another 5-10 pounds, so that should give me some extra room as well.

Hmmmm..... tough one. I agree with what everyone else has said. It's the thighs that give me pause.

Now, I have a pair of APC Rescue that put the slim-ness of these to shame. But after a few weeks of wearing they are perfect (and I can't button the first two buttons without a struggle after washing).

But I knew the stretch potential of APC (have known for a very long time). What's the stretch potential on the RRLs? If they are anything like SdA or Momotaro or Eternal I would say hell no, too tight.

The waist and seat will give for sure, as will the thighs. It's just too hard to tell if the thighs will give enough. What fit are you going for? If your okay with comfort fitted, then, yeah, they'll probably be good.

Thethrill

Reaction score
I ordered this in a size L and find it to be a nice fit with room for layers. I am usually a L or XL depending on the brand with a true 44" chest. The shirt definitely is better in person as the online photos make it seem like the shirt is only red/grey/beige, but in person you can see some green and yellow as well.

How do you like the red work shirt? I've been eyeing it on line, but looks much better in your pic. How's the fit? I'm usually a XXL in RRL shirt but take a XL in their Jackets. Always struggle on which way to go with their Overshirts. Thanks in advance. View attachment 1420840

aquila49

Reaction score
Is there any way to see catalogs before 2014? What do you think?

RRL did not share them with customers before 2014, so they're hard to find. I've reached out to Ralph Lauren about their archives several times in recent years, but no dice. At one time I thought I had a willing contact/resource but they left the company.

Anybody else out there have any connections?

mrbig

Reaction score
Thanks for all the input everybody.

I think I am going to keep them based on the fact that they don't have a 38 available and with the hope that once they break in they'll be a perfect fit. I've also been losing weight and am set on losing another 5-10 pounds, so that should give me some extra room as well.

I'm in the same boat, I'm a (t)highly built chap but a 36" waist. I went with a 34 in slim fits and they did stretch nicely but took some effort. A 36 is too loose in the waist (from prior experience) after stretching. I stretched the thighs with a few lunges after I sprayed water on the thighs to allow stretch.

Also as a general point, I've found distressed RRL denim stretches a lot more easily than the rigid or once washed; and stretches a little more too. Probably because it's generally a lighter weight.

Thethrill

Reaction score
Thanks, that makes me feel a little more confident in my decision.

I'm in the same boat, I'm a (t)highly built chap but a 36" waist. I went with a 34 in slim fits and they did stretch nicely but took some effort. A 36 is too loose in the waist (from prior experience) after stretching. I stretched the thighs with a few lunges after I sprayed water on the thighs to allow stretch.

Also as a general point, I've found distressed RRL denim stretches a lot more easily than the rigid or once washed; and stretches a little more too. Probably because it's generally a lighter weight.

vintage38

Reaction score
I ordered this in a size L and find it to be a nice fit with room for layers. I am usually a L or XL depending on the brand with a true 44" chest. The shirt definitely is better in person as the online photos make it seem like the shirt is only red/grey/beige, but in person you can see some green and yellow as well.
Thanks all for advice and pics on this piece, decided to pull the trigger. If it runs like some of my other overshirts the XL should do the trick. When I first saw it I thought it was a ok shirt but the RRL online pics and retail $399 turned me away. Looking at it with a new set of eyes at $159. Lol. Also found a few better on line pics showing more detail.

IMG_0988_13f32116-9316-4cda-ac40-4777c5bcf0f8_900x.jpg

Last edited:

Toshiro

Reaction score
Can some of y’all give me advice on how to wear this shirt ? I appreciate it in advance for the responses.
6E79B7DB-8922-4311-AFF2-EB9749FD1BAB.jpeg

vintage38

Reaction score
Can some of y’all give me advice on how to wear this shirt ? I appreciate it in advance for the responses. View attachment 1421094
Very cool shirt. I would wear it as a layered piece under a denim button down shirt or denim jacket. It would also be a nice stand alone piece in the Summer paired with some cargo shorts or RRL faded distress Jean's and Lofgren boots, for a kicked back relax look.
20200609_121746.jpg

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads