• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mfbnyc

Reaction score
I have 3 pair of old school rigid chinos going back to 2012. No issues except the occasional lost button.

However, in recent years I picked up three pair of newer Officer chinos in the non-rigid material. All had small crotch tears getting in the car. Different sizes, one a size up, the others my normal normal size.
It's a thing - it isn't you. It's the washed fabrics.

Sea dragon

Reaction score
It's a thing - it isn't you. It's the washed fabrics.
I had 3 crotch tears in the last 2 yrs also distressed denim on 2 and a distressed canvas painter type pant on the other all getting in to a vehicle

Junglejack

Reaction score
Added another pair of RRL's as while I have at least 5 pairs of Slim Fits and likewise in Slim Narrows, but I have only had one pair of Low Straights.

The ones I added today are super light being either 9.5 ounce according to the description on the jean, but the tag on the jean says 11.5 ounces. They are the Bisbee Wash and they are stupid comfortable.

While most of mine are middleweight and above, living in the South, I really think these will be awesome for the Spring and Summer.

fullsizeoutput_1ab.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1ad.jpeg

papillo

Reaction score
Added another pair of RRL's as while I have at least 5 pairs of Slim Fits and likewise in Slim Narrows, but I have only had one pair of Low Straights.

The ones I added today are super light being either 9.5 ounce according to the description on the jean, but the tag on the jean says 11.5 ounces. They are the Bisbee Wash and they are stupid comfortable.

While most of mine are middleweight and above, living in the South, I really think these will be awesome for the Spring and Summer.

View attachment 1117568
Pretty nice light wash on that pari.

walds11

Reaction score
I have a few pair of slim fit lightweight ~12oz. denim. They are comfy AF! I’d like to grab a pair are really lightweight ones. They are probably comfy as sweatpants.

bobbo28

Reaction score

View attachment 1117568

View attachment 1117569

I picked these up a while back they first went on sale... they are insanely comfortable and the distressing/repairs are spot on. They are definitely light weight and will work out great for most of the year in SoCal. They also don't fit like typical Low Straights... every pair of which I've had to have altered for more of a slim fit, whereas these are great off the rack. Great choice.

Junglejack

Reaction score
I picked these up a while back they first went on sale... they are insanely comfortable and the distressing/repairs are spot on. They are definitely light weight and will work out great for most of the year in SoCal. They also don't fit like typical Low Straights... every pair of which I've had to have altered for more of a slim fit, whereas these are great off the rack. Great choice.

Thanks! They do indeed fit differently than my other Low Straights. That said, just putting them on, they fit perfectly and my goodness are they comfortable. My Rigid Slim Narrows have barely been worn as I just cannot commit to being utterly uncomfortable for weeks on end. I am thinking if those were Low Straight or Straight, the break in would have been tolerable as using the slimmest RRL fit with the Rigids just feels masochistic.

pvoytko

Reaction score
put up a couple size large pieces in B S T if anyone is interested

mrbig

Reaction score
About crotch blowouts/early wearing - I've had *a lot* of RRL pants and only two of them had any crotch blowouts early. Both were quite heavily washed cargos from years back and I just darned them, seemed like what they would've done in the field (?) and kept wearing. I do have a general 'if you buy RRL with sewn on buttons, inspect the sewing before wearing' policy though - literally every piece I have has had one or more loose buttons after a few wears. For the first time ever, last years' straight tapered had one of the fly buttons blow the fly seam on me while just breaking them in.

At this price point, I'm paying for the materials and cut more than the trim finishing - and if I needed indestructible, I could go to Iron Heart or Flat Head.

Just my $0.02

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
About crotch blowouts/early wearing - I've had *a lot* of RRL pants and only two of them had any crotch blowouts early. Both were quite heavily washed cargos from years back and I just darned them, seemed like what they would've done in the field (?) and kept wearing. I do have a general 'if you buy RRL with sewn on buttons, inspect the sewing before wearing' policy though - literally every piece I have has had one or more loose buttons after a few wears. For the first time ever, last years' straight tapered had one of the fly buttons blow the fly seam on me while just breaking them in.

At this price point, I'm paying for the materials and cut more than the trim finishing - and if I needed indestructible, I could go to Iron Heart or Flat Head.

Just my $0.02

I feel the same way about buttons. I've learned to just shore them up a bit when I get new RRL pants. Takes a few minutes and I've never had an issue since.

subdivide

Reaction score
On a recent trip to Tokyo, I had a chance to check out the premium vintage shops like Berberjin. I was especially interested to see the early 20th century shawl collar cardigans like the classic West Point cadet model in black with the gold and silver stripes. That era is really the high water mark for quality wool... and for whatever reason, shawl cardigans are not easy to find.

Comparing those hundred year old sweaters with some of these 'shaker knit' shawls that RRL has produced, I gotta say - Double RL has done it better!

IMG_5973.jpg IMG_5974.jpg IMG_5975.jpg IMG_5976.jpg

Last edited:

DWH

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a recent trip to Tokyo, I had a chance to check out the premium vintage shops like Berberjin. I was especially interested to see the early 20th century shawl collar cardigans like the classic West Point cadet model in black with the gold and silver stripes. That era is really the high water mark for quality wool... and they are not easy to find.

Comparing these hundred year old sweaters with some of the finest 'shaker knit' shawls that RRL has produced, I gotta say - Double RL has done it better!

View attachment 1118725 View attachment 1118726 View attachment 1118727 View attachment 1118728
Those look like they’ll last a lifetime and a half. Thanks for sharing pics.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads