1. Hi, I'm the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.

The Official RRL Thread

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by whodini, May 21, 2009.

1. mrbig

mrbig Senior Member

I have a few Purple Label pieces; suits, jackets, shirts and knitwear - all of which are very well made. as Gus said, PL has a bit of a split personality with some high-fashion pieces and very classic menswear pieces as well. I've spent a considerable amount of time with PL over the years and I could safely say that pretty much any purple label item is going to be excellently made with some of the best materials. However: RL Black Label was recently merged into Purple Label; and you can see those pieces look similar to other PL tagged pieces, but they are considerably less expensive. Black Label stuff used to be pretty good, I see it akin to Zegna mainline.

From my experience, I'd say this is the hierarchy: Purple Label > RRL & Black Label >> Polo >>> diffusion lines.

I generally wait for Purple Label to hit outlets or go on deep discount to come down to RRL-ish prices. Unfortunately PL shearling/leather goods are out of my budget aside from the G&G made shoes, but they are beautifully made.

2. FsXClan1

FsXClan1 Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    This one

3. FsXClan1

FsXClan1 Well-Known Member

Thank you very much.
    How can I indicate black label stuff that has the same purple label tags?

4. mrbig

mrbig Senior Member

That's the $50,000 question FsXClan1

If there's two items that look the same but have vast price differences - the more expensive is true PL made to the same PL standard as before BL was rolled into it. There are also certain models that are PL (Savile Row, Drake, Aston, etc) that have no BL-spec make.

It's worth noting that some RRL pieces do end up being re-badged as Polo in later seasons, particularly if it does well with us - so this isn't something new to RL.

5. Gus

Gus Stylish Dinosaur Dubiously Honored

Any sizing suggestions for the waffle Henley’s this season. I am 41” chest, usually a large in regular cut RRL shirts and Tees. Will want to wear on its own or under a shirt but not skin tight.

6. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Senior Member

I'd recommend going with a large. Do be advised that they don't hold up well over time.

7. SLCRich

SLCRich Distinguished Member

Really?? The henleys too? So RRL does bad basics is the vibe I'm getting....

How about the dress shirts?

8. urbanwoodsman

urbanwoodsman Senior Member

Not all of their basics are bad. In fact, many of them -- what they refer to as their "core" items, like jeans, shirts, sweaters, etc. -- are top notch. But when it comes to their t-shirts and henleys (a few other things, too), they miss the mark. I like their dress shirts -- the ones I've owned and handled have all been excellent.

9. robroy82

robroy82 Member

I have four RRL Henley’s and I like mine, although I haven’t done an extensive Henley round up for comparisons sake.
    I went with two in my size and two sized down and I prefer them sized down. BUT I also wear them as true undershirts. The two I have that are my size feel a little bulky when I wear them as undershirts.
    I haven’t noticed any quality issues. Also I usually grab them on sale or Grailed or eBay never full msrp. Expectations are everything.

IMG_0407.jpg

10. BaronFizzwell

BaronFizzwell Senior Member

Their Henleys are actually pretty good, mostly. I’ve got a few of this one particular Henley that I wear as the top part of my personal uniform for the summer, and they’re all just as nice as when I bought them.

That hasn’t been my experience generally with soft cotton items from other brands.

The only fault I’ve seen is a bit of button chipping on another Henley of theirs, but the actual fabric is still almost new. And these Henleys are all over four years old.

11. SLCRich

SLCRich Distinguished Member

Should have elaborated more on "basics." I really meant t shirts and henleys. I have the indigo henley and really like it so far

12. pvoytko

pvoytko Senior Member

D419BF6B-993F-4E7A-8BB4-4E16394870B7.jpeg
    jcrew had some stupid sale and i picked up all these wallace&barnes pieces for 47 dollars shipped. the chambray is actually really impressive. japanese fabric triple stitching, chain stitch run offs, and solid button work

RRL makes decent henleys IMO. i honestly think rag&bone makes the best long sleeve henley available for men.

13. michaelvl

michaelvl Senior Member

14. Cooly

Cooly Senior Member

I actually like RRL undershirts..wearing one as I type and wear one most work days. I like the basic ones. They're super thin, don't bulk up underneath the shirt and the collars don't come up super high and look good (to me) barely visible underneath the main shirt collar line with a little bit of bacon collar... but's it's just IMHO...I also like their washed out earth tones solid colored ones...

I like the dress shirts, but they are super slim and I can't fit an undershirt underneath without some of the buttons fish mouthing. Also, a good deal of them have that collar tab thing...nice vintage feel if you wear ties, but i only wear ties maybe 4-5 times a year...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019

15. FlaSurfer

FlaSurfer Senior Member

Yeah; I got that chambray myself for like $9, and the jersey chore jacket for $12 - not sure if that was a mistake or not, but they honored it. Gotta say W&B is close to par with RRL though regular Jcrew branding has really dropped their quality to compete with the throw away brands (H&M, etc.).